Register now to get rid of these ads!

1927 Chrysler pickup - barnfind

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by richardlw, Feb 26, 2012.

1. richardlw

richardlw

It's still in the barn, but it looks like I'll negotiate it out of there. As the title says, it is currently a pickup, and I understand Chrysler didn't make any that year. With help on aaca.org, we have figured out:
    -It was manufactured in Nov. 1926 as a 50 series (4 cyl), probably a 4 door touring or 2 door roadster.
    -It has rear wheel only mechanical brakes
    -The engine has been disassembled in the truck bed for about 41 years.
    -The wheels appear to be from a later model
    -The pickup bed would have to have been from something else
    -Chrysler never put the gas tank in the cowl like this
    -The roof seems to be very well constructed as if it was supposed to have been there.

If it was 100% original, I'd definitely be restoring it 100%. But since it isn't, I'm interested in opinions, and this seems to be the place. Nothing too wild, but let the suggestions roll.

Attached Files:

2. olskool34

olskool34

3. I'd make it a hot rod with all Chrysler running gear.

Like a 383 or 440 under the hood... or even a 340.

It would be really cool to leave the fenders and clean up any of the areas that don't look stock and make them look as if Chrysler had actually built it.

Sam

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Like to see a side shot of it, Top looks cool

5. That's cool.....considering it's modified state, I'd have no problem rodding it.

Anything Mopar would be sweet for a power plant.....hemi, 383, shoot...even a slant six would be cool in a wacky, different sort of way.

6. metal man

metal man

Does the top come off ? If not,I would make it removable since it has the roadster cowl and posts.

It's a neat looking truck.I'd definitely do an early style hot rod build....maybe a Dodge flat 6 ?

7. oldolds

oldolds

I see you are in South America. Right hand drive. They sure did make some different vehicles there. Some strange things right from the factory and a lot of one off cars. Have fun with it.

8. studeynut

studeynut

Technically its already customized, finish the hotrod transformation.

9. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Please don't put any Mustang II or any lame crap like that on it. Keep it traditional whatever you do.

10. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Keep it all Mopar and just clean it up and get it road worthy, have fun with it. Looks real cool.

11. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

That's a very cool truck. Here in the states quite a few cars got converted to trucks during the war because of gas rationing, more fuel for work trucks than pleasure cars.

Fix it up as a truck and have some fun.

Cliff Ramsdell

12. noboD

noboD

There's either a '27 or '28 Chrysler pickup local to me. It was obviously built from a sedan, the roof was cut and rewelded to make the back of the cab. Story/RUMOR goes that the factory DID build some and wanted this one back. Last I saw it it was being streetrodded with IFS and a 440. A HAMBER was doing the work for a customer, hope he sees this and responds.

13. really neat truck and I really like the top

can't wait to see it out in the open

14. richardlw

richardlw

Looks like we have a deal, just have to figure out how to get it into the country. I'm going to make it as close to original (or period car) as I can. Might be a month or so before I can get it here.

And I guess I'll have to finish up the other two cars before I get much done on this - other than clean it up, inventory parts and start looking for the missing ones.

15. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

When i was a kid (1950's) there was a truck on my uncle's ranch that began life as a 1928 Chrysler 4 door and had been converted to a flatbed . We had great fun with that ol' hoopty!

16. noboD

noboD

Good for you Richardlw.

17. Heo2

Heo2

I have one 4 door touring that was rodified in the 60s
    shorted down to 2 doors the rear door higned to the cowl
    was put on a shorted nash frame with a 8ba flathead no
    pics on this computer
    and a 2 door sedan body

18. fiddy

fiddy

That roof is pretty crazy, is it a fixed steel piece or removeable?

19. 55nailhead

55nailhead

Will be nice to see pics of it in the open. It already looks pretty custom. You can tell it was built to work but the builder tryed to keep a little style to it. Instead of just hacking the back of the car off with and axe or something and throwing a wooden bed on it.

I agree with metal man , put a Flathead dodge 6 in it or a chrysler for that matter

20. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That thing is wicked cool! Put a Chrysler hemi in it for god's sake!

21. moefuzz

moefuzz

Put a 350/350/350 in it...

Just kidding, I wouldn't want to see you lower yourself and totally destroy such a nice truck by putting a sub-terdly chebbie drive train in it,
    In fact I would think that you would get better mileage and use less oil if you just stuck with the original banger.

(I like it)

22. Rushrod

Rushrod

That looks awesome..... Can't wait to see more pics......

23. More pics please! Looks like you're gonna have trials and tribulations. I'd agree with some on here, get it home, keep it mopar and drive it. Personally, I'd ditch the roof though, looks completely stupid with the roadster pillars. Love the detail on the front fenders too. Great find!

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

X2 on the crazy roof. Probably not real good in the rain, but perhaps you could subtly drop the sides a tad.. Great find. Gary

25. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Looks pretty cool. Is the top made from a sedan back panel turned around maybe? I'd stay all Chrysler running gear.

26. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Great find and good luck with the build & putting her back on the road. You have something special and I hope to read & see more! I'm subscribing :D

27. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

All I can say is DO NOT PUT A CHEVY MOTOR IN IT. Awesome find though

28. richardlw

richardlw

Still working on how to get it into the country. My first idea got shot down as too many customs inspections in the middle. Now looking at stripping it down to bring it piece by piece.

I am leaning towards losing the roof. Got to wait till I see how it is built in there. Also plan on rebuilding the 4 cyl if I can. I found a guy with a 28 Chysler 6 cyl for sale, but wants $1200 and it has no exhaust manifold, carb, etc. And from the looks of it, would also need rebuilding.

Attached Files: