Register now to get rid of these ads!

327--62 to 65

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, Apr 15, 2012.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Am wanting to remove/grind off the sidemounts from an early sm journal 327 (have several blocks). Will I hit water?? THX in advance

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

3. belle

belle

i'm sure you will be fine.

you should be able to pop out the frost plug and feel it with your finger

4. racemad55

racemad55

I doubt if you will,don't know for sure,should be able to go as deep as the 3 tapped holes.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX all--I will proceed--didn't know how thin it would be behind/around the tapped holes-just want to go about flat,even if I have to fill the tapped holes somewhat

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ok, I'll ask...why would you want to go to all that trouble?...are you trying to make it look like a front motor mounted 265/283?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure he is street racing for money and wants to claim 301 CI. Street racing is like poker nobody expects you to tell the truth.:D

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I would put bolts into the holes with loctite and then cut them off flush first. Then grind down and you wont need to go any farther than just flush.

9. Larry T

Larry T

If you were doing that, wouldn't you start with a 350/400? :D

10. No bearing loads on a small journal are better at high RPMs. :D

There was a time that you got extra points for show cars with smoothed blocks. You shouldn't hit water, the bolts go into blind holes and you should be done grinding before you reach the bottom of the holes.

11. Larry T

Larry T

No replacement for displacement!

Yea, I know there are exceptions.

BTW, I don't think you have any problem with removing the side mounts. I read an article about Smokey where he milled everything that wasn't needed off a block to save weight. If I recall correctly, he milled the sides of the block flat, no mount bosses, no freeze plug bosses, no fuel pump boss -----nothing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was thinking about the time before either of those engines were available back when you checked for the motor mount bosses.:D

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX guys-got most of the stuff to put together what will look like a 270 HP 283-about 1970 a friend had a 57 with a 270, 4 spd and 4.56's Bought a new 365 HP 327 short block from Frontier Chev in Fresno--had the old heads redone and heavily ported--looked like a 270 but really ran hard for the time then we changed the cam to an "off road" grind from Chevy -last numbers were 140 as I recall. Think I can redo a good set of heads to make them look period and with staggered valve covers-will look close to right-maybe I'll even slip it in my F.I. BelAir for something to do but then will have to run the 097 cam to give the correct signal to the rochester unit--Helped my friend do a 55 a few years ago--his is a 327 with a bullet roller setup, highly modified heads and a factory dual quad intake with bigger carbs--looks period and really runs strong.

14. I like your thinking. A lot of the fellas when i was a kid were real proud of their 327s, but some of us leaned more towards the beachboys song, ". . .my little duece coupe, you don't know what I got. . ." theory. Keep 'em guessing all the way through the lights. ;)