Register now to get rid of these ads!

El Bombero Hardtop Model A roadster build **UPDATED 3/31**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Bombero, Mar 18, 2012.

1. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

Pretty slick work!

2. 31ster

31ster

I have been wanting to do a hard top for my roadster. Yours looks nice.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Many thanx for the update. Looking goo'd, Gary

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice work.. Like the top.....

5. El Bombero

El Bombero

Thanks for the nice comments. I knew the top would look "different" from the start. The idea was to build something a guy in his home garage might have built years ago. Some will like it and some will not. I'm ok with that. Today I will be trying to fit the trunk lid. That thing is twisted and bent in all directions. We will see what happens.

6. El Bombero

El Bombero

For the gas tank filler I used a stock Model A cut from the tank and welded it in place. This will be connected to the TANKS tank with a fuel hose.

Attached Files:

7. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

At first I didn't know about it but now I dig the hell out of it. Great work on that top, and the entire car for that matter. Excited to see it all come together.

Beautiful tudor you have too, by the way.

8. El Bombero

El Bombero

I figure there are several people that are watching and don't know how they feel about it yet. Hell I don't even know. It's all part of the journey of building something a little different. There are still a few "twists" I am planning for the car, we'll see if they work out or not.

9. El Bombero

El Bombero

I had to modify an old window molding for the back window. I've had this lying around for years and don't know where it came from. I made a pattern from the window opening and started cutting. It really didn't take as long as I thought it would. Now all I have to do is round the corners and it's done.

Attached Files:

10. El Bombero

El Bombero

UPDATE....

I have been fighting with the deck lid trying to get it to fit. I knew it would take time but not this much. Finally got it. I might be able to prime the main body this weekend. Working alone it's tough to get a lot done.

***teach'm are you listening***

11. 343w

343w

Lookin good so far, and you surely dare to be different.That's what is great about the Hamb, not a bunch of cookie cutter cars. Keep up the great build thread!

12. El Bombero

El Bombero

If you think it is different now wait untill you see the color combination. I also have a few "unique" ideas for the uholstery.

Mike

13. El Bombero

El Bombero

Got A few important things done today. I shamed teach'm into coming over to finish prepping the engine for paint. Man that thing is clean enough to eat off of. I got the trans back from the rebuilder. Now I just have to paint the two of them and bolt them together. I worked on finalizing the door gaps. They came out pretty good. Amber (my wife) made us a gourmet diner. Teach'm brought his kids. Mrs. teach'm had to work today but came over after she was done. That's her arm in the picture.

Attached Files:

14. El Bombero

El Bombero

Just a quick update. Still working on the bodywork. Slow going. It seems the whole family has been taking turns being sick. I will keep plugging away. More pictures soon.

Mike

15. El Bombero

El Bombero

Finally was able to get this thing in primer. Looks pretty good. Still have a lot of work to do. Time to start sanding again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm REALLY liking your roof... and the rest, too. Gary

17. El Bombero

El Bombero

Thanks. I think it's coming along. I can't wait to get some color on it. I think you guys will be surprised.

Mike

18. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

19. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great Mike

20. RayMiller

RayMiller

Amazing work! If it looks half as good as your deuce it's going to be one bad ride!

21. El Bombero

El Bombero

Brady,
    We will caravan to the November Goodguy's together. Me in my roadster and you in your 32. What ta ya say?

Mike

22. El Bombero

El Bombero

Thanks.

Mike

23. El Bombero

El Bombero

I don't think it will be blue or even red.

Mike

24. El Bombero

El Bombero

Second coat of primer after lots of sanding. Getting close to paint. Here is a sneak peak of one of the colors on the grill shell. I think you will love it or hate it.

Mike

Attached Files:

25. El Bombero

El Bombero

Here are some pictures of the block sanding. I've sanded the fingerprints off my fingers. Also painted the top.

Mike

Attached Files:

26. As usual you come up with some really cool color combo's. Was in town for the drag race reunion and called but no answer figured you were on duty. Will be back down in a few weeks to see Charlie Hall will call again. Keep the updates coming.

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'm glad the top will be black. This car is going to be really sharp.

BTW, what does the top weigh? It looks like it may be a little awkward for one person to remove but pics can be deceiving.

28. El Bombero

El Bombero

Yes it really takes two people to remove the top. It's not that heavy, it's just bulky.

Mike

29. El Bombero

El Bombero

Got some more color on today. I took a picture showing the top color with the body color. Teach'm told me to. It's the least I could do since he sanded all day on my project.

Attached Files:

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting color... IVO your avatar pix, is it perhaps lighter version of a commercial "emergency green?" Gary