Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suspension Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 72IH, Apr 14, 2012.

1. 72IH

72IH

So another '35 IH pickup followed me home the other day. My plan is to run the full fenders and running boards.

So the help I need is getting it low. What was the traditional way of getting the back end of these things lowers.

It runs two rear springs instead of the Ford style single spring. So I can't just get on a website and order the spring for the height I want. I already reversed the spring eyes and took a couples leaves out. Axle is on top of the springs also. No spacers between the axle and spring at this time.

How much of a spacer would be reasonable to run with this set up? I think I have room to drop another 6-8" before I have any issue with axle and frame interference.

A four link suspension would really get me low but the whole idea of coil overs and a four link just seems too modern and out of touch with the era.

The front axle is going to be a Ford with a split wishbone set up and a Posie's low spring. I already have that one set up on the other frame I was building but will rob it for this "new" one.

Any thoughts?

The spring hangers are centered under the frame by the way.

2. Lowering block will get you a few inches.
    Check the clearance above the axle.

For a serious drop, you can Z the rails.

3. 72IH

72IH

The springs are 1 3/4" wide. Anybody have any ideas for springs? Seems like all the ones I see available are either 2 or 2 1/2 inches wide. Same with lowering blocks.

4. 72IH

72IH

I looked at doing a z on the frame but it would screw up my cab mounting. The front hanger is just about at the back of the cab. I will take a closer look at doing the z thing.

5. Maybe find some shorter springs, eye to eye,
    so you can move the front mount back.

6. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

I'd try the lowering blocks first. That may get you what you want without major work.

7. Can you move the spring mount to the outside off the frame?? That, with a 'C' notch should get you near dragging frame.

Cosmo

8. 72IH

72IH

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the blocks, just wasn't sure if the springs could tolerate it or not. I would like to achieve another 6" at least. I know the front will be about that much lower without a whole lot of effort.

If I need to get a little lower I guess I would look into mounting the springs on the outside of the frame then I could use just about any spring I want. From s-10 or Chevy pickup or even camero. Then just notch the frame with a hump to clear the axle tube.