Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for my first car, 1966 Nova? Keep your eyes peeled.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MattStrube, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Deuces

Deuces

That is sweeeeet!...:)

2. MattStrube

MattStrube

Blueshoe, that's it man, almost guarantee it...The color was 1997/98 Honda Accord Green. I did the interior in grey in the original pattern. The likelihood that someone took a non-SS car (look at the front grill emblem) and filled all the side holes in, put the same wheels, grey interior (if it has it) and painted it in that same exact green is VERY LOW. :) Let me know if the guy you know wants to sell it. Matt

3. Wholly crap!

That's it!

I can tell because of the rear wheel well... they are stretched out a little to fit the 8" Welds in the back.

I am Matt's brother...

I know the history on the car going back to the early 80's...

I was working at Sears... and in 1989-90 this guy named Jose that I worked with asked me if I knew anyone who wnated to buy a Nova.

I told him my best freind Steve was looking for something...

I asked him how much, and he said "Like four hundred bucks"

Steve and went to go look at it... in Empire.

And we drove by and it was under a car port... we were blown away at how nice it looked, even then... in 1989... $400 was a good deal!

Steve had it for a while... then sold it to Matt.

I think he sold it to Matt for $400-$500...

Matt got it running with the 327 that I had in my 1st '55 Chevy... I built that motor when I was 16... he put some Dart heads on it (that had made the rounds between Steve and I), and a Lunatti cam... it hauled ass pretty good.

Matt put a Hurst Quarter stick in it... and the first time he let Steve drive it, Steve ran into my parents garage door... twice in about 10 seconds. Hahahahaha!!

It had rusty quarters... and Matt wanted to get rid of the trim on the side, so he had Don Brazil weld up the holes and fix the quarter panels.

I think by then... 1991-92... Matt wanted it painted for his senior year.

I was working at Pacific Aircraft Service... and we had a guy named Jeff that painted stuff... he painted it for Matt. I think it was Jeff.

Then Jesses Auto Tops did the interior.

My dad, who is now passed away, helped Matt a lot with the car...

He drove the shit out of it after that...

I remember one trip down to Bakersfield for the Super Chevy Show... it rained.

I have a pic of us in the Mud... Larry, Matt and I...

and the Nova.

When he sold it, I built a 283 to stick into it so I could get my 327 back. I think the 283 was pulled from my freind Stacy's grandma's '62 Impala that she bought new... or it was a motor I picked up. But I know it was a 283 that we put in there... the 327 went into my first Model A hot rod.

I painted the motor black... with a 2 barrel, just to sell it.

I beleive the guy who bought it was Asian or Pacific Islander... I think. Don't quote me on that.

I know whoever owns it now has started his own history with the car... but if the desire to ever sell it arises... please contact Matt.

Having his old high school car back... especially after it was built by him and our dad... would be a happy ending.

I have old pics I can dig up of it...

Stay TUNED!

Sam

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. It was '90 Honda Green... it was painted your senior year...

Sam

5. One distinct feature that the car has... is Matt had Don weld up the holes in the dash to eliminate the dash pad.

It's the only '66 Nova I have ever seen done like that.

Sam

6. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I was thinking there wasn't a chance in Hell the car would be found, much less in the same color and rims.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

Wholly Shit!! this thread's been dormant for 4 years, and then SCORES!!!

This kinda stuff makes me smile, coolashell. Gotta love this place!

8. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

dude this is AWESOME!

9. brandon

brandon

Power of the hamb..............and on a ot car...good times:D

10. Ratrod54

Ratrod54
    from Frisco, tx

I am as amazed as you! What are the chances... Shit, I hope he gets a chance to buy the thing back now.

11. So, How long have you owned it?

12. blueshoe

blueshoe

I see you caught that last statement. :D I owned the car now for going on 10 years. I originally had a 66 nova that I turned into a tube chassis race car. Here it is :eek:
    [​IMG] I raced quite a bit with it. But I was missing driving something on the street and so I started my search for the next 66 Nova. This one popped up in San Jose and the kid that owned it had damaged the front end of the car. Both front fenders and the hood was caved in from a beam that came loose in his garage. We struck up a deal and I took the car home. And I had it ever since. :D here is the car 6-7 years ago. I Replaced the front fenders and added a cowl hood as well. Put a 383 motor in... also a 10 bolt posi and much much more....

[​IMG]

after a while I put the Pro Stars on there:

[​IMG]

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had one of those back around 1987. bought it from the original owners grandson for $900.00. original paint in a very similar green, with a light green bench seat interior. California black and yellow plates and the "Central Chevrolet" license plate frames were still on it. a real "creampuff"... 194 and a powerglide, without a doubt the slowest car I've ever had. I put it in the auto trader with the crazy price of $2700.00 and someone actually bought it after owning itabout a year.

it was the cleanest original car I've ever owned. well under 100,000 miles.:(.

14. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

great story.. came full circle. My first car( 70 chevelle ss) I too had a little history with. Mine ended up neglected and wrecked (just a fender). the funny thing is I still own it..