Register now to get rid of these ads!

216, 235 or Similar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topless54, Apr 11, 2012.

1. topless54

topless54

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted something that wasn't a for sale ad. I'm gathering info for an upcoming build and have been doing some poking around w/ searched here and elsewhere. I haven't found exactly the info I'm looking for.

The build is a 1946 Chevy truck that I want to be correct-ish to late 40s to early/mid 50s. I definitely want to run an inline 6-probably a 235. The not-traditional items will be a 5 speed or overdrive automatic trans. It already has a nova rear end and drop axle under it and car bolt pattern so that'll all stay. I will sacrifice correctness for comfort/drivability.

I'm thinking probably 3.42 or 3.73 gears. Who has engine suggestions? Please let me know positives and drawbacks w/ any suggestions. I'm not too terribly familiar w/ stovebolts. Also, any mods w/ performance and economy numbers would be great. Another thing is any suggestions on good machine shops that are knowledgeable on these engines would be great. Any input on Blaine's or City here in Dallas for these??

2. topless54

topless54

Oh, I'm also looking for good parts sources if anybody has any experience...mainly misc interior, windshield regulator, blinkers, bumpers, etc.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Pre-'54 Chevy sixes, both 216 and 235 (exc. '53 PowerGlide), were very archaic, with "Splash Oiling" systems (dippers on the bottom of connecting rod caps that throw oil to the top of the motor), and babbited rods (i.e., no insert rod bearings.) Most consider them junk,and replace them with '54 and up pressure-oiled 235's or 261 truck motors. If you have a choice, these are favored.

I personally have a fondness for 216's, as they powered the entire Chevy fleet, (both cars and trucks) throughout the forties/early fifties, and many are still on the road today. There is still a lot of cool old speed equipment to be found for these motors, as they were the main competition to the venerable flathead Ford during its reign of Hot Rod supremacy.

Swapping out the stock 4:11 rear, as you're planning, will go a long way toward helping a 216 survive at modern highway speeds. So will changing the cast iron pistons for lighter aluminum ones. A .060" overbore will permit the use of later 235 Std. pistons. Re-balancing is not necessary.

For more on 216's, check the link in my signature.

"Chevy's of the Forties" is a good source for the parts you need.
    You might also try "Eckler's" early Chevy parts supplier.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. 235 or 261 would be my choice. Both have hydraulic and run great, the 261 is great if you want a hot rod engine.

5. topless54

topless54

Thanks for the links. I am definitely leaning away from 216 because of the babbit rods. I have one sitting around though..

Any knowledge on the 261 as far as availability, build cost (compared to 235) and fuel efficiency, etc.? It's my understanding and experience that most all inlines get great fuel economy. I definitely want enough power to have fun, but ease and economy are my top priorities. Again, sixes are a new ballgame for me.

Thanks again for the replies.

6. topless54

topless54

Also, what are group thoughts on dual/tripple single carbs vs 4bbl or other options? Intake suggestions for each? (would like built in source for heat via coolant) Exhaust manifold suggestions. I would definitely appreciate others' experience w/ gripes, problems or compliments so I can avoid as much potential frustration as possible.

7. rotormax

rotormax
    from PA

I am installing a 58 235 in my 53 and I have two spare motor mounts from a 54 that were given to me so that I can adapt to the 58 bosses on the 68 block. I noticed that one is longer then the other and has a smaller hole in the top .Can some one tell me which side mount go's on what side of the block?

8. James Curl

James Curl

I run a Holley 390 CFM four barrel on my 55 235 in my pick up. The only four barrel intake manifold that I have found for the 216/235/261 blocks is the Clifford manifold, it has a hugh plenum and the runners are larger than the stock manifold which is good for top end but not for everyday use. The later 7 main bearing engines use a different method of attaching to the block and port configuration. The four barrel manifold for them has a constant cross section making them more efficient at lower RPMs. If I had it to do over I would have bought a dual intake manifold and two carter/weber two barrel carburetors and adapters that adapt from four bolts to two.

9. 50ChevyFrank

50ChevyFrank

10. topless54

topless54

Thank y'all for the good info on the 4 barrel and the good links. Tons of info on patricks..,. link. More learning to do!