Register now to get rid of these ads!

462 Teletouch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rev 6.2, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

I'm wondering if the transmission out of my 58 Edsel Corsair will bolt up to the 462? I want to keep the teletouch option. If it will not will the teletouch shift motor bolt onto a transmission that does mount to the 462?

2. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

Suppose I should've said the 462 is a MEL out of a Lincoln.

3. brechlrl

brechlrl
    from Wisconsin

Short answer is no. Earlier 430s yes

4. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

What's the Edsel engine? If it's a 410 it's a mel, 361s a FE.

5. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

410, so the teletouch won't swap over to the lincoln tranny either?

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Your Edsel has an FE bellhousing pattern. The early 410 MEL and the 361 FE that came in '58 and '59 Edsel's used essentially the same bellhousing pattern. The 462 uses the later generation pattern (some what similar to a 385 Lima series pattern, but still different) and will not bolt to the early MEL's. Your best bet is to find an early MEL (410 or 430) or swap in an FE.

Fords can be so much fun. Here is a cross reference list of Ford bellhousing patterns from Wikipedia. Use it at your own risk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_bellhousing_patterns

Good Luck

7. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Since retaining the Teletouch control is important I'd look into adapting to Lincoln trans, BUT I've never seen such a critter so it might not be simple but any thing can be adapted if the want is bad enough.

8. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

Yeah I think that's what I'll try and do. Anyone ever swapped the teletouch to another transmission? I've seen talk bout it but nothing bout it actually being done.

9. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

You could put it on another trans as long as its a two speed. Wouldn't have enough throw of the linkage to shift to low on a 3 speed. also, the shifter motor is bolted to the bellhousing. edsels are the only ones with a bell housing that has the bolt holes so you would have to make a bracket to bolt it on someother way.

10. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

Is the tranny that goes with the 462 a 3 speed or 2 speed?

11. mlagusis

mlagusis

my 58 has a three speed with the teletouch.

12. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

Really? you have the only one in world then.

13. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Now I'm interested in speeds. Old fordomaticks were 3 sp but only had D and L on the quadrant, I'm sure most of the geezers like me remember starting in L shift to D for the 1-2 shift then pull back to L until time to go to 3rd which required shift back to D. I'm foggy on Edsels, you saying the 58 trans in discussion is a real TWO speed?? If so had no idea. Think I'll get into my old trans manual, the one my dog ate some of the cover, that was a long time ago too.

14. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

My manual goes back to 59, shows merc/ford D/L quadrant for some cruiseos. Looks like Edsel would have 3sp, either large or medium case related to engine size. Throw can be adjusted by altering piviot hole location. Only need P R N D so retrofit might be possible.

15. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

The 58 edsel teletouch trans is a 3 speed but there is only drive and low for the push buttons is what i was getting at.

16. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

That's what I was getting at too. Since you seem to know what's up with these things, what's up with servo motor stroke being controlled with relays? How is that configured? I remember the buttons in the steering wheel guess not to be confused with the mopar cable method. I'm guessing most of them teletouch parts are more than a little rare.

17. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

it has a barrel switch with contacts on the pivot of the linkage. when you push a botton, it directs current thru the barrel switch to make the relay pass the big current to run the motor in the selected direction...it runs till the barrel switch get to the blank spot. then by pushing a dif button, it directs current to a dif spot on the barrel switch and starts all over again. seems complicated but really its simple if you understand how it works. Heres the wiring diagram for one.

Attached Files:

18. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I'm glad mine is 3 on the tree. Good luck and keep us posted.

19. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Thanks for the schematic, printed up great.

20. 58edselretractable

58edselretractable

Hey Mike,
    If you need teletouch help, I live about 60 miles west of you right off 94.

21. mlagusis

mlagusis

It has a three speed...I never said 3 diferent gears on the teletouch...just saying that the tranny is a three speed because someone earlier said they thought it was a two speed.

22. wanabe28

wanabe28

Thanks for this thread, i'm hoping i can setup teletouch onto a c4 to go in my model a modified i'm currently mocking up.

23. Rev 6.2

Rev 6.2

I find it easier to ask questions then buying the stuff and trying to stick them together! So many ideas floating around my head with little experience so why not ask people that know right!