Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I've been having an affair...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Apr 10, 2012.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

and Mrs Highlander is ok with it. Seriously, she is. But look at her and see if you blame me for letting it out:
    [​IMG]

That's Mrs Highlander, and here's the one I've had an affair with. See if you blame her for allowing it:
    [​IMG]

It's a 31, and I'm tellin ya, I haven't seen a Model A pickup this clean in the rust belt for decades. No cobbled up patch work, no 2" coatings of mud, just a really clean cab and box with really decent fenders. Here's a few more and some detail of condition:

[​IMG]

Inside the cowl:
    [​IMG]

behind the seat:

[​IMG]
    Both cab corners are virgin Henry steel:
    [​IMG]

Nice doors too:

[​IMG]

Even Tommy approves of my affair:
    [​IMG]

I've had it out already, put maybe 20 miles on it (with no windshield!), and it runs really good, shifts nice, and a surprising amount of power for a stocker. I did find some less than acceptable repairs at the front edges of the rear fenders, but fenders are easy to fix. It's also pretty complete and Mrs Highlander calls it "Simply Adorable". So is it like she's having an affair and I approve? WTF:eek:

The plan:

Powerwise I've made up my mind to leave it a banger. No flatheads, SBCs, Nailheads, 3" chops here. Just a hot little A bone PU to knock around in. In the future I do plan a B cam and a HC head, maybe some gearing. Not too many external changes, and no real theme. Hard to beat a nice flashy Model A pickup, even if it ends up closer to stock. She's a bit of a barmaid though. I think she'll hike her skirt for us when we ask her to...ok the truck dammit, not Mrs H!!!

More:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

That is one clean A! Nothing wrong with a clean nearly stock Abone.

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

wow. that is one solid truck. good find.

i hope to drive mine today.

4. WOW!! I like it.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Haha, I had a boat one time I named "The Other Woman" because my Wife said I spent more time with it than her.:D

Nice looking little A there, sure is clean and a great start. Mrs H ain't all that bad either. :cool::D

Don

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So the project has begun. On Saturday and Sunday (godless heathen that I am), I got to it. Ang and I pulled the box and rear fender to assess the rest and get going. I've gathered a few parts, made a list for some other stuff from Snyders, and found a small hack repair in a bed post corner. Here's my repair, since I have to walk the walk as a bondo hater.

Pulling in to pull the box:
    [​IMG]

The frame is nearly as clean as the sheet metal:
    [​IMG]

The box rails (wood) are a bit tough at the front edge. I could fix em but for $60? Ordered some new ones. Here's the "repair" I discovered:
    [​IMG]

A nasty metal patch frosted in with Duraglass. Can't have that, right? The other side is solid as can be so time for some metal surgury. Do try this at home.

I started with some plastic paper, like for mylar prints, and made a radius pattern:
    [​IMG]

As luck would have it, in my hoard of metal stuff I had a disc of solid steel the same radius/dia. Sometimes keeping "scrap" is a worthy idea. I set it in the vice as a hammer form/dolly of sorts and went after making a repair section. A shrinker/stretcher would have made it easier, but I have more stuff to get rid of to make room. This will do fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I laid out where it had to fold around and smacked a line in the piece to get it going:
    [​IMG]
    A little heat shrinking with a MAPP gas torch and some patience:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 1st fit went pretty good so time to cut:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sweet, That will make for a lot of fun trips around town and the surrounding back roads. And a trip or two to the farm store for a pigs ear if The look on Tommy's face says what that look means on Oddie's face.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's the fit and the final part, but I admit being "in the zone" and didn't take as many shots of this repair as I could have. They speak for themselves I think:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't weld it in yet, don't like to weld late in the day being a solo act. The fit is right on and I'll probably tack it in with a 110 mig in few spots then tig the final and metal finish. I'll take lots of pics of that too. Stay tuned...

9. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

That is a clean truck. Especially in our neck of the country.

I'll keep watching.

Your wife is a Fox also! ;)

10. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great truck. Sounds like a solid plan for its future. Nice sheet metal work by the way.

Enjoy it.

11. My ex wasnt ok with my affair, of the same nature, hence her being my ex lol

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Lucky dog, nice score..where'd you dig that up?
    gonna keep this one?

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Stop!!!, busted. Trying to make us think it's the truck all this time. It's Tommy isn't it ;):D. Lol, JK. That's great to hear.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Local craigslist ad. Went to make an offer and just had to have it. Intentions were to finish/flip as was, but Ang loves it, somebody keeps chipping at my ass about the bubbletop, and i'm busier than a cat burying shit on a frozen lake. This one moves me. It's in that kind of condition that makes me want to make it a "Henry Award" winner. Stop over and check it out. Bring yours if it's doable too. It ain't like you gotta pack a lunch to make the trip...

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam..I take 2 fuckin weeks off of trolling the CL for A's and you snag this?..I fuckin hate you:D

oh well you probably paid more for it than this cheap ass fucker would:eek:.I gotta tell myself that you know?

we rolled by the other day(week or so back) , out at Calders Dairy..your place was dead..not a soul in sight, maybe you and momma were out for dinner..your phone sucks bro, or it dont work well?:confused::mad: either way good on ya man I hope you have fun with it..looks like its got you motivated.

Dam nice shape man..dont piss me off anymore telling me that you killed on the buy;)

I'll try to pop in on ya soon:cool: good to hear your busy

16. fine me

fine me

:D
    Both Mrs. Highlander and your truck have great bone structure!

17. :eek: Damn! I'm hypnotized.

Gorgeous!!!!

18. brady1929

brady1929

19. vg62truck

vg62truck

She is hot, the model ais okay too

Has she got a sister:D

20. afaulk

afaulk

Glad you don't have to make a difficult choice! My ex said (EX THAT IS I SAY) "me or that Merc one has to go". My reply "baby i'm sorry you feel that way but don't talk like that in front of her".

21. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Shit. I just passed 1/2 a cup of coffee thru my nose on that one!

LMFAO!!!

But you're prolly right!

22. Scott

Scott

Nice start and a clever way to show off your beautiful wife:D
    learned something already about metal work. subscribed