Register now to get rid of these ads!

J B weld

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32highboy54, Apr 8, 2012.

1. 32highboy54

32highboy54
    from southport

He y guys can J B weld be drilled and tapped ? It wont be an a area with any stress.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. Let it fully harden fist.

3. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Ive done it with a set of heads for the valve cover bolts. Give it a shot all it can do is fail.

4. Beau

Beau

Use JB Weld and Not JB Kwik too.

Ethanol eats both fwiw.

5. Master of None

Master of None

Yes, I use it for re-sizing shift knobs that are stripped.

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i love the stuff. if i can weld with a welder i use jb weld.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds risky. If I can weld with a welder, I weld with a welder.

Automotive Stud and lippy like this.
  8. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

What I saw:

He y guys can J B weld be drill...........NIPPLES

dan31 likes this.
  9. jmpowie

jmpowie

I used jb weld on a cb750 case cover that was cracked, it stop a big oil leak. Great stuff!!!!!

10. Shit man, I didn't even notice that the first go round. I had to go back and figure out what you were talking about. That either says something very negative or positive as to the state of my existence!:D

11. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

gosh....i need to spell check more often before posting......i meant to say

i love the stuff. if i CANT weld it with a welder.....i use jb weld instead.;)

Stogy likes this.
  12. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

is that Jungle Pam?

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

Sho is.

14. Just used JB Weld for the first time ... be interesting to see how it holds up.

15. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

FYI ... I save those little clear plastic yogurt cups to use as disposable mixing bowls for JBWeld or other epoxies. I know other folks use different things to mix on, but it works for me ... just sayin'.

Barry

Tman likes this.
  16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have used fiberglass mold release on threads, and applied the jb around the threads. When hardened, just back the bolt out.

deathrowdave likes this.
  17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have a couple whoppsys in a couple intake ports, I zigged when I should have zagged and I thought of filling with J-B Weld.. Mixed up a batch for a test and after a week its still soft; bendable. To me if you are supposed to be able to machine it it should be hard that it would snap. Thoughts?

18. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

You must have mixed it incorrectly, did you do a 50-50 mix of each tube? Was the product too old? I used some today and it set up OK, it should be hard as a rock by tomorrow morning. The stuff really works, I used it today to attach some emblems to a metal panel.
    Jim

loudbang, wraymen and olscrounger like this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes 50-50.. I mixed up two more batches making sure that if I missed the 50-50 it would be to the hardener side. It probably would be alright as a adhesive but not a machinable/sandable hardness. I couldn't find a date on the package..

tombstone likes this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I bought their Qwick Weld and had problems with it but the normal stuff has always been reliable, hard enough to use a file on.

loudbang, wraymen and lurker mick like this.
  21. It doesn't have the reputation of not hardening when it gets old but I guess it could happen. I had some old, leftover JB Weld that became extra viscous and didn't want to squeeze out of the tubes. I tossed it and got a fresh set.
    When I use JB Weld, or any epoxy really, I keep an eye on what's left on my mixing palette to see how the hardening process is coming along. If I assess that it's going slow, I introduce a little bit of heat, such as laying the piece out in the Texas sun. It seems to help.

22. My family has been in trucking for almost 50 years. Around 1990 my dad had a truck come into his terminalwith a rod outta the side of the block and the piece was still hanging on. They rebuilts it and JB welded the part back into the side of the block. That engine did HUNDREDS of thousands more miles after that! @Nads did similar in his Packford darn near 20 years ago

loudbang, 30tudor and slowmotion like this.
  23. slowmotion

slowmotion

The original J-B Weld has saved many a skin over the years, along with a similar product called Devcon. Seen it used on occasion in a locomotive shop with success. It don't get much more 'severe duty' than that! It's save my ass in an "Aww Shit!" situation a few times. Every shop/garage should keep it on hand.

loudbang and thintin like this.
  24. slowmotion

slowmotion

This is an excellent tip!

loudbang and 5window like this.
  25. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think the problem was in the first part of the tubes, lack of proper ingredients. Should have run out a 1/2' to clear or stick a piece of welding rod in the tubes and stir up some. Batch 2 and 3 seem to be ok..Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

JB Weld is good good stuff when used correctly . Ive used it many many times for off topic stuff as bedding the actions in my rifles to to stocks . Kinda like blueprinting your engine , for shooting .

loudbang likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve dimpled the bottoms of intake manifolds I’ve made out of steel. You need to be right with it as it’s ready to set. Also changed the designs of intakes, never had it fail.