Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thewishartkid, Apr 7, 2012.

1. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Would someone please explain the 49-54 chevy spindles on early ford axle products that Speedway sells. Is this a simple bolt on conversion? I need some help.

2. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

Not to be a total douche, but if you need to ask you need to have it done for you, in a nutshell they offer 2 spindle configurations, one for chevy hubs and one for ford hubs. What part are you asking about being a "simple bolt on conversion" anyway, the spindle or axle?

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

It's "one" axel and you make the choice on the spindles you want to use .
    Ford or Chev but it's just "one" axel they sell in different lengths !
    I know it's Saturday night but it's not that hard ! :eek:

Retro Jim

4. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

WELL I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE PLACE TO ASK THIS! I was interested in putting 49-54 Chevy Spindles on my 46 Ford axle. It looks like the kingpin angles are different. and if you have to ream the kingpins out to fit. WHAT A DUMB QUESTION! SEEMS AN OLDCARFART WOULD BE INTERESTED IN A TRADITONAL BUILD! ANYONE CAN INSTALL DISC BRAKES! BUT I WANT DRUM ON THE FRONT OF MY ROADSTER!

5. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

6. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Happy Easter to all!

Attached Files:

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I kinda understand your confusion. No, you do not put 49-54 Chevy spindles on a Ford axle. All that Speedway is telling you is that you can buy a particular axle with EITHER Chevy OR Ford type ends on them so that you can buy one OR the other. The two do not mix. So if you want to use Chevy spindles simply buy the axle from Speedway and specify those are the spindles you want to run.

If you want to run drums on the front of your 46 axle, simply buy Ford 37-48 spindles and run 40-48 Ford brakes. BTY, there are better axles to use than that 46 axle you have, expecially on a traditional hot rod. Those put the wishbones out so far that the tire can rub them on hard turns, especially if you split the bones. A 28-34 axle is a better choice IMO.

Don

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want drum brakes on an early ford axle and spindle set up, do a search for the F-100 brake set up. I have them on my 34 P/U and it stops just fine. I love mine. There is a lot more info on the HAMB about this conversion also. A search will keep you reading for a while. Much better brakes than my early Ford hydraulics on my roadster.

9. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

since we're nitpickin instead of answerin the poor guys question, it's "axle"......