Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where have all the 4 speeds gone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tray502, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Race@Rockets

Race@Rockets

I have a vertigate for my Muncie...Bought it at a yard sale for 10 bucks! :)

2. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

3 pedals IS truth. Woulda been easier stabbin a slushbox in the T but easy isn't what i was after. not to mention, a 4 speed is engaging to drive, keeps the feel ya know?

3. MERC 55

MERC 55

I agree with the tri power, but I prefer Motocraft 2100.

Attached Files:

4. gasman826

gasman826
    from Addison MI

Third pedal is the only way on the street.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. boutlaw

boutlaw

390FE, T-5, 31 Coupe...I like 3 pedals too!
    [​IMG]

6. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

LOL--that's some funny stuff.

FWIW--avatar was a4 speed toploader, pulled it a little while back and in process of swapping to t-5.

7. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

You are speaking for me man.........got into more than one discussion with guys referring to a Lenco as a stick.

8. fleetside66

fleetside66

If you're building a car & are on the fence, go with the stick. I never considered an automatic with an old style hot rod..

[​IMG]

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My hips and knees don't much like a heavy clutch pedal anymore and I think that is why a lot of the older guys have gone to automatics and to hell with those that don't like it. It's about having fun driving your hot rod not being a poser with a certain shifter to satisfy those who claim that "real hot rods only have three pedals"

That said, my truck has had a three speed for the past 22 years simply because the cost of four speeds got out of hand around here a long time ago and those who have them seem to hoard them. I'd love to have another Muncie in it but am not going to pay the asking price just to have one.

To answer the original question even though it's months old, I'd have to say that for most of us it's the extra cost of the 4 speed and then the shifter and then getting everything going with it to work. That when the sbc or sbf or ??? came out of the doner rig with a good automatic hooked to the back of it or some of the newer ones out of Mustangs or Camaros came with a five speed od trans mated up. Now excuse me while I hobble out the garage with my bum knees and sore hip.

10. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Here's my four speed. Not a fast 4 speed by any means but fun to drive what with all the double clutching and no synchros.

Ignore the flex hose this pic is old and had a ton of temporary mock up parts.

Attached Files:

11. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

This is how I'm doin it

Attached Files:

12. gasman826

gasman826
    from Addison MI

After installing my first performance clutch back in '70, the first time that I pushed the clutch in, the equalizer pretzeled. After some reenforcement, the clutch worked great but it was uncomfortable to hold the pedal to the floor through a stop light. Now, after years of abuse, I was concerned about pushing a clutch pedal attached to a performance clutch. With the McClod street twin and the hydraulic throwout bearing, my concerns were unfounded. This system pushes so easy that you would think that it is not working. I can easily push the pedal to the floor with my hand! A couple of years ago, I drove around in the Woodward Dream Cruise for a couple of hours with no left leg fatigue. With the technical improvements in clutch systems, the old 'clutch fatigue' excuse is no longer valid.

MUNCIE likes this.