Register now to get rid of these ads!

mystery wire on + side of coil where might it go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Apr 7, 2012.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

fiddling with a 40 Ford truck. 305/auto. looks like it has a wiring harness out of another vehicle spliced and diced in place. lots of bad connections ... basically cleaning it up and trying to get a few things working that do not.

got the wipers to start going and don't even know what I did that fixed it. I'm assuming they are electric, I can't see them under the dash.

anyways this is a GM points distributor, there was 2 wires in the +side of the coil. the wire that goes to the key, and another wire that goes through a hole in the firewall that I can't find on the other side, truck has AC and it is a mess under the dash.

I thought maybe it was for the tach that does not work and put it on the - post and it wouldn't start.

what else could this wire be? starts and runs just fine without it.

2. Could be wrong it has been a minute since I messed with one. I have two of my +, one comes from the starter relay to give the 12V during firing when the starter is cranking. The other one comes off a resistor so you arn't feeding it 12V's at all times.

3. 49, I would safely bet one of the wires came from the starter solenoid. One small solenoid terminal is S which goes to the ignition switch, and one of the coil + wires would have come from the other small terminal. This would provide full battery voltage to the coil while cranking the starter motor. TR

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the other wire on the + side is a fat one going through the ballast resistor, and to the solinoid. I can't get under it right now but I assume the ignition wire goes to the solinoid as well.

this is a thin wire and does not look like part of the harness. as stated, it starts without it.

5. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I found one like that, went to a hidden micro switch to kill the ignition.