Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ford trans questions-please help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by begborrowandsteel, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I have a galaxie with a 352 and a cruise-o-matic, the trans now has no reverse, neutral moves the car forward and park feels like it's still in gear, now is it possible or does it make sences or should i go get a c-4? if i do go with the c-4 what would need to be done to a my car to put it in? :( :(

2. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

A C6 bolts on, a C4 doesnt

3. You did consider that the linkage is messed up somehow?

I moved a car with no motor with the trans in and it shifted some and I had a hard time getting it in and out of park after a while. It sagged some and the shifter had to move further than it could to get into gear.

If your car's trans linkage has slipped, is bent or you have a broken mount somewhere that lets the motor/trans flop around, it might cause the same symptoms. Usually when an auto breaks it slips or won't go at all.

4. RoadKat

RoadKat

When I had that problem befor it was internal, like bands. I aalways dumped the old and got another trans. There are C4 and C6 trans for FEs, like in trucks and LTDs. If u have column shift now look for column shifted replacement aand it should be close enuff to adjust for differences.

5. Thanks, i was thinking that it could be the linkage (i hope) but if it is internal, and needs a bunch of work i would go for a new trans.

6. squirrel

squirrel

like 286merc says, don't expect a C4 to fit. it's a small-block tranny, never made for the FE (352-390 etc) engines.

Check out the linkage, carefully check the fluid level, and if you can't get it working then maybe you could find another Cruise-o or a C6 to replace it with.

7. so if i understant correctly the c-6 will bolt right in, no major modifactions or bellhousing changes/modifactions?

8. Sorry but i don't know shit about transmitions besides the basics. :(

9. lgh1157

lgh1157

My column shift linkage [ 63 Gal ] use to come out of one of the brackets, It would be stuck in the gear it was in and i would have to get out and push the rod back in the bracket/hole thing. I got a hole drilled in there and put in a pin to hold it.

L

10. If it's not the above problems and the transmission is shot, I'd either take it out and rebuild it or try and get a Cruiso for the same year. The C6 DOES line up so you won't have to deal with changing the driveline, but the C6 came out after the '64 Galaxies, so the transmission mount studs won't line up, you'll have to fabricate something by redrilling a mount or welding something up custom yourself. My buddy just dropped a 390 in his galaxie with a full face C6 tranny, and that's what he had to do.

Up to you on that one!

11. squirrel

squirrel

in addition, you have to get the right C6 that will bolt up to a 352, with the round bellhousing. The C6 for a 300, 302, 351, 400, 429, 460, etc will not work.

12. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

And dont overlook the 360 FE which was in a lot of pickups. The C6 came out for the 66 model year and was an optional automatic as the Cruiso was still available which became the FMX.

BTW, the C6 is about the easiest tranny to work on, a simple garage type job! Lots of over the counter goodies also. A cheap trick is to use the truck 460 pump and clutch pack for much crisper shifts. I did that to my 351W C6 last year.