Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon Rattle Can Flake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3spd, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

[​IMG]

I know you cant really tell, but this is the MetalSpecks stuff. I did this real quick yesterday. Only got one wheel done. I'll try to get a better detailed pic next time I'm over there.

2. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Thanks for the heads up.. Ill have to swing by Michaels to check it out!!!

3. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have used a bunch of Krylon but after using Dupli-Color and Martin Senior, I'd never go back.

4. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

No worries it's all good

5. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I definitely prefer the Duplicolor over Krylon

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

7. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

8. killa fab

killa fab

9. 41 C28

41 C28

Has anyone painted an engine block with rattle can metal flake?

Does/will it work?

10. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Went to Michaels, after not finding it in wallymart, homely Depot or Lowes. You need to look in the craft big box stores here in w. FL.. Lady really helpfull in Michaels. If you have the time to spend in the beginning to look and read and ask, Krylon has compatable clears to us from in the larger standard cans. One that caught my attention was the clear with UV inhibiter available in gloss and satin. The other was the triple heavy clear, but has no UV.The secret as some have found is the temp. of the paint and material. READ THE LABEL. If your doing a fairly large project (definately not a whole car) and you have the time. Check the newspaper each week. COUPONS!!! Michaels and Joanns has 40-50% off. $3.99 is better then $7.99. Going to spray the frame of a custom ATV 3 wheeler I'm buiding. Using the orange flake. They recommend a base color of the same color tone to start. If alot of you guys have all these troubles try 1-800 to Krylon. I'm sure they would like to know and probably can give you some tips.I personally am a firm believer to not mix paint brands. One other thing, Krylon is a household % craft type paint. Dupli-color and Martin Seynor are automotive class paints. (apples to oranges)!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  11. Deuces

Deuces

That is freakin' nice!!!!!! :cool:

12. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I was able to snag a better shot with my phone last night. These were taken after my first tire grind.

[​IMG]

and yes I was too lazy to tape off the stem:
    [​IMG]

13. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

any updates on others trying this out?

14. skwurl

skwurl

The ones I tried had colored flake in clearcoat so a base will have to be used

15. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

yeah, stuff I had mixed was a solid base, and a clear w/the colored flake in it... worked like a champ

16. skwurl

skwurl

Just found out yesterday the tip can be removed from the Roth Flake for cleaning I guess. I spray ed some without it . I think thats the trick. It lays down a ton of flake.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glitter blast on the lace work for the hood, krylon metallic bases and krylon kandy over the top.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Painted another license plate for a fellow HAMBer with glitter blast. One good coat covered it! Good stuff! Maybe he'll post a pic when he receives it.

19. Bought 2 cans the other day. Both cans only sprayed clear snot out of them. I shook them 3-4 minutes like it said to do but no color or flake came out of either can. They lost me as a customer to say the least! What the hell do you want for $7.99 a can?

20. 3spd

3spd

What did you do to achieve this? Any tricks with the glitter blast? How many cans did you use?

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I did a silver base. starry night glitter blast through the lace. glitter blast was preheated in hot water for a few minutes, spray a bit, shake a bit... constantly.
    The sides had a blue and charcol grey base, the whole thing got the stained glass kandy.
    killed off the glitter can on this project, and used it a bit before on other stuff. still have some of the kandy, just did one light coat with it.

ive now clear coated the whole thing with 2k clear about 6 coats, its amazing how good it looks for so little invested in it

22. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I just received an old school metal Coleman that I will probably be repainting, since it is toast, with some sort of rattlebomb flake. I will report back once I do. Not sure if I will stick with red or try out a different color.

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Looks great, too! Thanks, Pete.

As you can see, it's little-girl approved.

Attached Files:

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Another project.....The Kandy Pecker. It'll be done this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Greaser_Kat13

Greaser_Kat13

ok i got the basic idea on how to do this but could some one please break this process down step by step if what im painting is already painted.... for example= sand, prime, base coat, glitter spray, clear coat.... when do i sand or buff? and what grits and when? i guess i just need and idiots guide to do this... lol... thanks for all the help this "green horn" sure does need it.

26. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

27. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

Has anyone tried using this stuff on any engine bay stuff? Valve cover or brackets? stuff like that?

28. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

I painted my BMX helmet with krylon engine silver, then the Glitter Blast for the base. Followed up with some H.O.C. air brush toner & the Krylon cobwebing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

How many coats of clear do you guys use to smooth this stuff out?

30. gas50

gas50

Where do you find this in washington at micheals or sometin? Please help a brother out