Register now to get rid of these ads!

What'd you learn to drive in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Me and my Dad went out in our 75 Gran Torino. Drove around for a bit, went well.
    Learned a stick in Mom's Maverick. Lotsa bunny hoppin but I got it figured out.

Later on I had to replace the motor mounts in it, wonder why?:rolleyes:

2. I learned on a 1950 Allis- Chalmers WD45 tractor, then graduated to a 48 Chevy 2 ton grain truck on my cousin's farm. I was 8 yrs. old ( 1956 )

Lee

3. wsdad

wsdad

I'm only 45 but I learned to drive in a 1939 Model A (John Deere - not Ford)

[​IMG]

This isn't the exact one but it looks just like it. It had petcocks (sp?) that you had to open before hand turning the flywheel (that large round thing near where the driver's left foot sits).

When it started, the massive two cylinder engine made a slow, "Pfoot...Pfot...Pfoot...Pfot...Pfoot...Pfot" sound. Kind of like a drunken Harley on steroids. If the engine didn't want to start that day, you'd wear yourself out turning that big flywheel. If we could, we'd park it on a hill and pop the clutch in high gear. The clutch was operated by a hand lever on the right (out of view in this picture).

Dad bought it cheap at a farm auction in the late '70's. He rebuilt the carburator and did a couple of other things to it to get it running. We used it for many years before it finally wore out too much to fix.

I still have the hood and grill. I've thought about incorporating it into a T-bucket but then came to my senses.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

1969 396 camaro pace car.

5. sleepyonthree

sleepyonthree
    from florida

As a idgit a 49 Allis Chalmers C and a 50 Massey Harris 30. At twelve I graduated to Dads 53 International L-120 Pickup.

6. oldcarkook

oldcarkook
    from Bahstin

Toe/heel starters before solenoids! I learned to drive on a '48 Farmall Tractor as soon as my feet would reach the pedals. Took my driving test in a '61 Falcon Futura in '69.

7. Like most farm boys, I learned to drive various tractors at a very early age. Then, at age 11, after helping Dad haul hay in his 1953 F250, he tells me to get in and drive around the field by myself. All he said was, "if you get it headed toward a fence and don't know what to do, reach over and turn the key off." "When you get tired of driving around the field, drive it back to the house." (on a public road!). Dad walked to the house and never looked back!

8. lobsterbolt

lobsterbolt
    from NS

56 Chev 2 ton with a load of tuna on the back.

9. 14 years old in my aunt & uncle's '40 Ford stake truck.

Here's a pic from last month, when I picked it up from her.
    [​IMG]

and Saturday evening, after it's first time being on the road in about 30 years.
    [​IMG]

10. 343w

343w

I bought a 40 Ford coupe from my high school math teacher when I was 15 yrs. old in 1961. The engine block was cracked so me and a buddy put a 48 ford flathead in it. I drove it around the field in Vermont like a dirt-tracker, I probably put 1000 miles on the old coupe in that field. Wish I still had it today, (don't we all wish that)!

11. fine me

fine me

Mercury Meteor "interceptor" 1964 - my dad's old, used car.

Tons of fun! Varoooooom.

:D

12. 1950_Fargo

1950_Fargo

I learned in my dads 1950 Fargo out in the sticks when I was 13 getting firewood... My first car was a 1995 Dodge Neon when I turned 17.

13. hercamer

hercamer

54 international travelall, Dark green called it the "Pickle" we drove that thing all over my neigborhood every night of my 14th summer, 6 cylinder 3 on the tree..bulletproof truck to learn in and man did we have a blast.

Attached Files:

14. zander208

zander208

I learned to drive in 1999 when I was 15 in a 1949 Studebaker pickup. I still have it.

15. hogridenfool

hogridenfool
    from chicago

54 Studebaker my dad had parked in the garage,my brother and I would be working on my gocart in the garage,and my brother found a key in the glove box it was an extra key,so the joy riding began,it lasted all summer until my dad was coming home for unexpectedly(he was a policeman and was in the area) so he came home for something to eat,and saw us driving it out of the gas station,turned the lights on pulled me over I did'nt know wether to shit or go blind" I was 13 my brother 15 we got our butts kicked that night...lol

16. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

Here is my oldest learing to drive a clutch... yesterday. She did well but she wanted power steering and power brakes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Last Hoorah

Last Hoorah

55 Chevy panel truck, 3 on the tree.

18. HA! At first glance I thought you said "What'd you learn at the drive in?" That might make a great topic as well....hahaha....

19. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

learned the clutch on an old model 8 or 9n ford tractor. after that, it was on to my cousins '69 chevelle. first couple takeoffs i thought he was gonna cry as i defiled his clutch. : ) I was 9!

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

a yellow 40 ford convert and a red 58 corvette. then my 67 camaro.

21. bobbyb

bobbyb
    from ohio

About 13 years old, sat between my dad's legs and drove his 1946 Chevy 2 ton dump truck. I couldn't reach the clutch or brake so he worked them. Did this many times, as we had a farm but did not live on it....we lived about 4 miles away so we went there everyday. Even got to shift gears after a while. Drove tractors a lot, and when I was 15 I was allowed to take the truck and our riding mower to my grandfathers to mow his lawn about 7 miles away. We lived in the country and not many cars on the road. Dad was friends with the constable !!!!!

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John Deere 430 tractor and a 65 Dodge pickup. I grew up on a farm. :)

23. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

i'm jealous...:D

24. Deuces

Deuces

A shopping kart.... Probably making them kid noises... brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr!

25. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

26. My dads '62 Ford Galaxie. HRP

27. 34Flatty

34Flatty

67 International Scout/63 Jeep P/U...old wood truck :)

28. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

my dads 1969 Ford country squire..I'd love to have that car.....I think back about dad teaching me to drive...good times...

29. rainmaker1956

rainmaker1956
    from Kansas

The only new car my dad ever bought. A '64 Dodge Coronet 440 2 dr HT, 318 auto in white with the gold anniversary stripe and steering wheel emblem. I was given that car in about '78 and.......mistakenly sold it a few years later. Been looking for it since but no luck:(

30. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

maybe you'll find it...