Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering blocks-Does this look right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasy53, Mar 29, 2012.

1. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Wheel hop just became WHEEL HOPPPPPPPPPPP.

I snapped the cheap aluminum blocks at Hamb Drags 10, same car as you, same setup. Sheered the cast "pin" and the axle started sliding. Not fun.

Now I make my own steel lowering blocks, and I sleep well at night.

2. Heo2

Heo2

No it dont look right to much lowering block
    puts to much leverage on the springs.
    Wheel hopp and other problems.
    A friend had it like that if he accelerated
    harder than an old lady it was hopping so
    hard the glowebox flew open. Finaly when
    he braked hard a springleaf dug in the road
    funny to see sticking out of the asphalt
    in the midle of the road

3. hotdamn

hotdamn

nope it happens all the time with 49-54 chevys,

its easy, put a floor jack under the shackle and go up.

it'll flip itself, no need to undo anything.

however just so you know your shocks may blow out soon as they may be too big now since you lowered the car, but undoing them to flip the shackle is pointless.

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

just for clarification you will want to do this so that the shackle goes forward obviously.

5. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

oh yea and pics of befor and after would be awsome

6. greasy53

greasy53

got it...thanks guys.

Will do on the pics...

7. greasy53

greasy53

update on the shackles....they are flipped...I fkn worked my ass off to get these things to flip over and I wasn't successful....even took it to a garage and the guys there couldn't do it either...I guess I will just have to take them off and re-install...might as well do some other shit too while I'm at it....after viva this weekend though...fk I was hoping to have it look cool tho...thanks for all the input guys..

8. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Too funny

9. Sounds like something I'd like to see

10. synchro7

synchro7

To get the spring to arch enough to flip the shackles you need to disconnect the shocks. Set the car on stands just ahead of the front of the spring. Lift the differential a little with a floor jack. Disconnect the lower end of the shock. Lower the floor jack. Flip the shackles with a BIG assed bar. You might need to keep the floor jack under the diff to the shackles don't flip back down. Once the shackles are flipped lift the diff with the jack, reconnect the shocks. Set the car back on the ground.

11. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Lowering blocks seem to add more pressure on either side of the leaf spring, more leverage perhaps? I've broken several leafs with them and a lead foot. They all had wheel hop before traction bars to stop wrap up.

Shackle flip.. had a dual axle trailer that drove me crazy doing that.. one side would be flipped, other side would not. I got reminded not to take it off roading. (gawgia ruts) and old car rescue from muddy fields.

12. JVK54

JVK54

You can also jack the car up. Place a jackstand just forward of the shackles. The VERY GENTLY lower the car till the shackle flips up..go to other side and repeat.. That worked fine on my Chevy when I had this issue.

13. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

If i was you i'd try this first. Seems like a good advice that could work sparing you a whole lotta headache. if it doesnt work at least you tried.

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

jack the car back up by the frame let the axle hang and flip it with a pry bar, stock shocks will work with lowing blocks.

Godspeed
    MrC.

15. OLLIN

OLLIN

You might already, but be sure you have lock washers on the ends of the u-bolts. I had mine come loose before and I sent a bunch of sparks flying on the 10 fw in downtown LA! I might even consider castle nuts if I were you..

16. greasy53

greasy53

Well, nothing has worked...going to just buy some new shackles and bushings and install them....probably needed it anyway...Hey Jamco, can you send me some shackles by Wednesday so I can get this thing done for Viva this weekend?

17. A Rodder

A Rodder

Nothing worked.....
    See if you can get someone to help you, this happens with tandem axle trailers all the time when the are lifted by the frame and not the rocker arm hanger.

You can do it and once you do you will realize its not a big problem.

18. killa fab

killa fab

This isnt rocket science. Jack the car up, place it on jackstands under the frame infront of the front spring mounts, put floor jack under the center "chunk" of the rear end, remove front spring bolts/ pry the front spring eyes loose from the frame, and push the floor jack forward/ pump the handle a few times raising the rear end/ and then pull it back, re-install front spring eye bolts. Should do the trick.

You see what im saying here? Basically undoing the fronts of the leaf springs so they can drop and move around so you can roll the rear end forward and then pull it backward to reset the shackles up.

19. greasy53

greasy53

yea, I see what you're saying...I will try it tomorrow....thanks man.

20. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

ok, you jacked up the car and the shackles flipped by themselves during the install of your blocks.
    Do this, support the car on jack stands at least the rear half, then use a floor jack and a 4x4 block of wood raise the 4x4 to touch the spring INFRONT of the shackle, raise slowley the floor jack w/ 4x4 ( pushing the spring upward )untill the shackle flips back into place, then goto the other side and repeat.
    As for breaking leaf springs and or blocks, most folks remove the helper spring ( the lowest spring in the spring pack, dont do that! always keep the helper, heres why, the helper keeps the main leaf from D-arching that what breaks the main, it also acts as a traction bar by supporting the main leaf when you accelerate when the pinion goes up the helper touches the main spring and stops wheel hop, wheel hop is when the main spring turns into a S shape, as long as the helper is in place the main leaf will not be able to do that. Yes cheap aluminum blocks are known to break, I use steal blocks from 4x4 shops or make your own. But I have used good alluminum blocks with no problems.

lowering blocks have been used forever.
    Godspeed
    MrC.

21. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

If the shackles flipped inadvertantly while installing the blocks, it should NOT be hard to put em back where they belong. UNBOLT THE LOWER SHOCK, which lets the rearend hang lower, making the shackle relocate easier. Then jack the frame up. You'll probly have to hold the shackle in place with some sort of pry bar while someone else jacks up the middle of the rearend to prevent the shackle from doing it again. Then bolt the shock back

22. greasy53

greasy53

Jim at Jamco is getting me the new bushings needed to do this job right....Jamco has been awesome to work with! Thanks Jim for all you help....

23. greasy53

greasy53

Ok, got these shackles flipped back up...

Before and after pics.....

Thanks to all for your help!

:cool:

Attached Files:

24. skoh73

skoh73

That's the stuff- looks great!

25. Atta boy! I was getting a bit worried but you came through.

26. ya now it looks low and mean!

27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Looks pretty sweet!

28. greasy53

greasy53

LOL...I was getting worried too...haha...Thanks man..

29. greasy53

greasy53

Good....that's what I was going for...I'm happy now :D

30. greasy53

greasy53

Thanks man...