Register now to get rid of these ads!

What tools do you keep in the trunk?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheMonkey, Apr 1, 2012.

1. TheMonkey

TheMonkey
    from MN

When you road trip, what do you bring?

A friend of mine calls it his 'un-fucked bucket'.

Wondering what you have in yours?

2. squirrel

squirrel

All of them except the one I need.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

That always seems to what I have.

Truthfully I would suggest carrying what tools you would need to change the starter, generator/alternator, take a carb off, pull the distributor or change a fuel or water pump.. That and the tools needed to change a wheel bearing including a hammer and punch. If it gets beyond that the car is probably going to be on the stretcher headed to someone's garage or shop for serious repairs or await being hauled home.
    I'd also include a multimeter and test light along with a good flashlight/work light.

One note, If you have a GM car with ball bearing front wheel bearings carry a spare set of wheel bearings even if they are decent used bearings. They aren't hard to change but it may be the living pits to find a set on the road and it will use up a lot of fun tickets in the process. Also as much as guys on here seem to love the old generators those generators have been the number one of HAMB road trip breakdowns in the time I have been on the Hamb.

Still going over the car and making sure that everything is in shape before a serious road trip is must even though we don't always do it.

Pack the wheels, check the brake system and adjust the brakes, check the battery and clean the posts and make sure all the connections are good. Change the fuel and air filters if they are a bit old and check all of the rubber hoses on the fuel system.

Along with the tools pack along a spare fuel filter, set of points if you run them and a spare fan belt even if it is the good used one you took off to put the one you are running on. My old fan belt stashed in the sleeve from the new one has got me home more than once. It doesn't hurt to pack spare stop an tail light bulbs either as they crap out at inopportune times.

4. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

5. Speed~On

Speed~On

Squirrel hit the nail on the head!!!!!

6. rld14

rld14

I've kinda got this down to a science now... It depends how far I am going, but for any trip over 100 miles or so I carry the following.... Mr48Chev summed it up, but I carry...

Fire extinguisher, in the car, on the passengers floor, where I can grab it.
    Fluids: Oil, PS Fluid, ATF, Brake fluid, carb cleaner, kroil.
    Parts: Set of ignition stuff, spare fuel pump, fuel filters, front wheel bearings, brake cyl kits, tire plugs, belts hose repair tape, rad cap, tstat, spare fuses, bulbs and electrical connectors and a new or known good coil.
    Tools: whatever I need to do what Mr48Chev said plus flare wrenches, feeler gauges, a floor jack and jack stands, and an extra hubcap on the spare tire. Generally tools include screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets and ratchets.

Of course were talking about my land yachts so this stuff doesn't exactly fill the trunk. If I ever get my A roadster done we might be lightening the load a tad.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I keep all the basic tools I need to do almost any repair I can do on the road . I also carry extra V belts and radiator hoses if an odd set up . I also keep oil , trans fluid and 2 gallons of water . I also keep a blanket to lay on and some hand cleaner and rags to clean up with .

Retro Jim

8. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I keep the basic tools and parts to change out any of them that may wear, u joints, hoses, belts, and fuses and wiring is helpful because there is nothing like needing to replace a burnt distributor wire in the middle of no where. If your really into getting to point b and your car isnt under a warranty i suggest make room for anything you may need to keep the cruise turning into a headache and a nightmare.

9. teddyp

teddyp

i have one of those cheap tool sets that have open wrenchs from 3/8 to 3/4 2 flat tip screw drivers and 2 phip one large and one, small socket set small floor jack wire ties etc. and most important a fullly charge cell phone and my aaa card

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

ON Road Trips
    30.06, Parachute cord, snow shovel, lighter and old school book in a plastic bag, and a hatchet.

.45 is in the drivers seat and so is the fire extinguisher.

Every Other Day
    Wendy

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

12. joeb1934

joeb1934

trunk munkee. just gotta 'member to feed him!

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

No room in the trunk for tools... If I'm traveling out of state, that's where the bodies go. Besides, if one of 'em is just playin' possum, I don't wanna give 'em the ability to get out.

KIDDING! I put bodies in the front seat so I can use the HOV lanes...

14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Ive got an old M/C fork bag I stuff with basic stuff wrenches, screwdrivers & plug socket. Also carry a 12v test light, wire connectors & tape. I use the bag with my M/C also so I have allen wrenches & torx wrenches. Like Squirrel said, the one time I broke down I didnt have what I needed.

15. Twine , fire extinguisher, cans of tuna, chuck norris

16. McGyver in a gimp suit. Otherwise he'll blow up the car with the old undercoating/insulation stuff that smells litke pot when you burn it.

17. as many as I can make fit lol

18. I still carry my small Craftsman tool box with everything that I used to take when I was racing stock cars. I have everything to swap out the motor, hopefully it'll do the job on the road for anything else.

Spare belts and hoses, even used ones are ok, heater hose, gas hose, fuel filters, duct tape, safety wire, ty-raps, my traveling nut and bolt collection. Also at least my smallest floor jack or the bigger one, plywood to lay the jack on, a pair of jackstands, 12" square plywood for the stands. Of course an air tank, tire plug kits, extra oil and water.

Bob

19. derpr

derpr

duct tape, and ear plugs, incase the woman comes.

20. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Bag of lime, shovel, rope.....

21. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Did someone say jb weld? I bring jb weld. well jb kwik really.

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

23. If you don't have what you need at least you can manicure your toe nails while your waiting for the tow truck.:D

[​IMG]

24. amx180mph

amx180mph

A Three Musketeers, and a ball point pen, and one of those combs there, a pint of Old Harper, a couple of flash light batteries and some beef jerky

25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I see no point in a bag of lime unless you have Tecate too.

26. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

have a simple set of ratchets, crescent wrench, vice grips, flat and phillips screwdriver. Handfull of fuses and a spare fuel pump (mine likes to crap out). not a lot of room under the seat of the unibody. Cell phone takes care of the rest

27. I have a small ratchet set, a spare belt, oil, wrenches, knife, a few screwdrivers, some rags, and a 40 of OE.

28. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

A friend of mine on a recent trip to Floridia. While his wife was behind the wheel in Georgia she ran over an alligator ( the rubber kind). and punchered the gas tank. He managed to stop the leak by breaking off a peice of wood in the hole, tore state out of the atlas, smeared it with sillicone to go over the gas tank. Then addad strips of EB Green tape. Some kind of tape from the sub base over the map. It stopped the leak and lasted a few years on top of it!

29. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

don't forget the tie wire & zipp ties

30. Tow rope, wheel chock, loaded fire extinguisher and my AAA card close by.