Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sata spray guns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blinddaddykarno, Mar 31, 2012.

1. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

For all my fellow painters, here's the question of the day; are Sata spray guns worth their price? Are they that much better than others? I've used Devilibis and Sharp in the past, and have some generic HVLP guns.

2. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

It's a personal preferance like most tools.I've used Satas but like Iwatas,that doesn't mean they are a bad paint gun.

3. Noland

Noland

I like my devilbiss GTI. I personally dont think satas are worth the money. Ive been hearing alot of good things about Iwatas though having never used one cant say how good they are. Again its all in what you like and gives you a good results.

4. Hacker Joe

Hacker Joe

I spray both, I think the sata is better for color (the 4000 lays metallics awesome) but I think the Iwata lays clear better. but it is more in the preference of the painter.

5. Willy301

Willy301

I like my Iwata guns. I have 2, one for primer and one for base/clear. I will say, having recently stepped up from the HF cheapie guns, the more expensive guns do seem to do a better job, but maybe just me...

6. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Love my Sata RP for base and I clear with Iwata lph400

7. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Just bought a Sata 4000. Love it. Is it worth it? I dunno know. But I love it.

8. Mr Nilsson

Mr Nilsson
    from Sweden

I use both Sata and Devilbiss.
    Sata 3000 B RP Digital, Sata 100 B F RP, Devilbiss GTI Pro Digital and Devilbiss SRI Pro.
    But my first choice is always Devilbiss, this may sound retarded but they feel more like a part of my body than the Sata, they do exactly what I want when I want (in the paint booth that is...).
    Going to replace one Sata 100 with a Devilbiss PRI soon, really looking forward to see how it feels.

Don´t get me wrong, the Sata´s really good spray guns, but I guess I´m more of a Devilbiss person.

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

How about the earlier sata's 92 and 95 series?anyone using one i've been watching auctions and thinking about grabbing one.price is reasonable.

10. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I have a sata and I like very much.

11. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

What ever works good for each individual, I guess. I use sata.

12. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

THe 95 is a good basecoat gun, not great on clears, If you find a sata 2000 it sprays pretty good and you can pick one up reasonable now.Binks m1g with a 1.3 cap and 93 tip is another good spraying gun that you can find reasonable. Hard to beat Iwata 400 series.

13. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I have a lot of guns. I spray a lot, but enjoy buying new toys just as much :) I spray my base with my Walcom GEO. It's a helluva gun. Its a slow gun, so its great for base. I have been experimenting with a clear gun. I have a SATA and DevilbissPlus, my GEO etc. I think if you learn how to use your gun, you can get a good job from many of them. They all spray a little differently, so it's really just learning your gun, your style, the right mixture etc.

14. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

I base with a Sata, and clear with a Iwata Supernova hybrid.

15. Willy301

Willy301

I will say, in Iwata's + column, the fluid tip is actually splayed out, they refer to it as a tulip, I think. They claim it makes a better pattern, and I think it atomizes the paint a little better.

16. I like my Sata guns. I have used a couple Iwata guns and thought about getting one for clear but I endded up getting another Sata.(a 4000 RP) They are not cheap but if looked after they do last. I'm a painter at a bodyshop and still use a Sata 2000 HVLP gun that I bought about 10 years ago.

17. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

All I use is Sata, they are worth the money. I spend thousands on material, I am not going to lay it down with a gun that cost me a $100. If you spray every day, there is a difference. I have never used Iwata, but I have heard good things about them. However I will probably never buy one. My next gun is going to be a Sata 4000.

18. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with what everyone says about personal peference. I spray nothing but sata. Have tried iwata guns and they are just different. I like to spray with what is familiar. I have had sata 2000, 3000, and 4000. I use them everyday, if you don't use them much than I can see cost as a big issue.

19. Got my first Sata in 1993 and never looked back. No complaints here.

20. zach from ny

zach from ny
    from New York.

Sata 4000 is such a sweet gun. I like to base with Sata and clear with an Iwata 400.

Still can't get the hang of the RP. That thing is like a shotgun, haha. I've been out of practice for a while now though.

21. hotflint

hotflint

I used a sata rp digital for about 5 years and really liked it, but I tried a devilbiss and think imay be making a switch to devillebiss which is a much cheaper gun, I found the color was better.

22. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I used a SATA gun 10 years ago, but now all I buy are HF guns with coupon for $9.99. They can do the job of a SATA if adjusted correctly and at that price, if they only last one job, they pay for themselves. I don't want to name any names, but I know some well respected hot rod custom builders who use HF guns. Something to think about.

23. ive used sata 3000 and 4000 and loved them .i have good results with devilbis also.the cheap hf guns are good to learn on, if your going to use it every day i would pay the money for the high end guns .if spraying at home you wont be disapointed with the devilbis.make sure fluid tips match what your spraying

24. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

If there is any EPA guy on the board, Please cover your eyes...

I've been spraying for years with my Sata 90s I have 3 , primer, base, and clear, but I just got an Iwata LPH400 and will try it out tomorrow for the first time. This should be interesting. Let ya know how it goes.

To answer the OP's question. Nothing wrong with a Sata or any of the others listed. The key to any gun is how it is adjusted. You can get good results with any gun, as long as you have it adjusted right.

I've heard good thing about the Devilbiss starting line summit and eastwood sells. 169.00 for 2 gun kit. Might be something to look into.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  25. morac41

morac41

Hi ... I use a Iwata LPH400 .....its the best clear gun I have ever used

26. Catman53

Catman53
    from Georgia

I have never used a Sata. Started with a Binks model 18 production gun 30 years ago with needle tips and caps to spray primers - laquers -clears as well as potted gel coats on marine appllications.Still have it with the 2qt -1 gal and 5 gal Binks pots I started with.My newest acquisitons are 2 Italian Walcom guns - a Genisis for urethanes and the Slim for primers.Both were in the 700.00 range I dont know what a Sata goes for.The show gears gave away a set of 3 Satas last week and they looked real sharp.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  27. DukeFarm76

DukeFarm76

I have a Sata 2000 that I use for clears and single stages and I love it. My base coat gun is a Sharpe Platinum HO and I haven't found a gun that I can get to lay down metallics and pearls as nicely as that one, including the Sata. The shop I work for has an Iwata LPH400 as a "shop gun." The old painter used it all the time and got awesome results out of it. I've used it and don't care for it. I've had a bunch of people ask why I would use the Sharpe. I learned on an old 975 and just always liked how they spray. I guess the moral of the story is, find a gun that you're comfortable with and like how it sprays. A good painter can get good results with a cheapie gun (although I'll admit that it's much easier with a better one), and a lousy painter can have all the best equipment in the world and still get a lousy paint job. If you are comfortable with a gun and get used to how it sprays, you're in good shape.

28. Koz

Koz

I have used both the Sata and Iwata guns and I always go back to my Devilbis HLG3. I just works for me. Homemadehardtop57 loves his Iwata or Sata , I'm not sure which. I just like mine better. Let's face it, once you get into this territory most of these guns are far better than the painters who are using them. I've seen beautiful paint applied with HF guns all the way to $750 imports. It's more the skill of the guy setting it up. I'm used to mine and it just about talks to me. Same with welders and machine tooling. Whatever works for you.

29. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Hey Catman . . nice to hear of another Walcom user :) High high quality guns from Italy. Like I said, it sprays base really well. On the down side of Satas . . . if you need replacement parts . . bend over and stay over!!! No reason for pieces to cost what they charge. My Sata is a RP and it sprays well, not sure head and shoulders above my others, but well.