Register now to get rid of these ads!

timming

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LuckyFordGuy, Mar 25, 2012.

1. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Trying to time a V8 Flathead Ford. The number one cylinder is on the compression stroke and mark is lined up on the crank pulley. It seems like it's off one cog. I move it one cog and I can't even start it. I move it the other direction same thing. Any ideas. It ran good before I took the distributer out. I appreciate your input. Rog in MN

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the pulley bump lined up with the pointer (2 degrees BTDC), on the compression stroke, and the rotor pointed at the number 1 plug wire, it should fire right off. :cool:

3. tig master

tig master
    from up north

#1 is on passenger side

4. khead47

khead47

You do know that #1 on a flattie is on the passenger side, right?

5. flathead4d

flathead4d

The timing mark on the pulley is not TDC. It is 2 degrees advanced. However I don't think that is your problem. Check that the rotor is pointing at #1 on the distributor cap. Check the firing order 1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2. Number 1 is on the passenger side as are 2 3 & 4. If all that is correct I would check the wire under the distributor plate for a worn spot which will cause it to ground out when the vacuum advance rotates the dizzy plate. Also check the vacuum advance to see if it might be bad. This is assuming you have the original distributor. Let us know.

6. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

I put new wire in it thats what started my problem checked wire again it's brand new. I just cannot get it in time right. I checked all the wiring. The pointer on crank shaft pulley should be down or up a little?

7. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

found the promblem it was the coil thanks everybody for help

8. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

Lucky, thanks for the explanation.