Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trying to build a 1949 Studebaker for 24 hours of lemons

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by nullset, Mar 20, 2012.

1. nullset

nullset

Hi HAMB!

I was pointed here by the 24 hours of lemons forum.

I've got a very rusty 1949 Studebaker Champion Business Coupe. I'm trying to get it ready for a 24 hours of lemons race, with the stock engine and transmission if at all possible.

Here's some photos for anyone interested. It's pretty rough.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107098584421702331898/Studebaker

Right now, we've got the engine pulled and disassembled down to the block, but we're trying to decide what to do next.

There's an engine and transmission in El Paso, Tx (posted here, and on the studebaker driver's club) that I'd just love to get my hands on. I'm trying to find a good way to get it to Atlanta!

--buddy

2. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Welcome from Oklahoma. Ought to be interesting and fun. What's the date for the Lemons?

3. nullset

nullset

They have races all year round. We'll be racing the Studebaker whenever it's done. I'd like to run one race this year, in Charlotte in September, but I doubt the stude will be ready by then.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy. Thats gonna' be cool. Looks like they had potting soil in the trunk of that Stude!

5. turbostude

turbostude
    from minnesota

6. k9racer

k9racer

Welcome from huntsville alabama.. The big problem of trying to race a old stude will be brakes you have small drums everybody has disk.. the second will be wheel bearings.. and the last and the worst is the rear axel is tapered and will break after it is hit several times.. I have owned and raced studes in the mid 60's.. Good Luck I have a 75 impala, 76 chevelle and a 76 elcimino and a crown vic cop car{all are POS] that I am thinking about using one of them in the lemons race.. good luck Bobby..

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  7. Welcome aboard! Good luck on the build and keep us posted of the progress and the results!

8. nullset

nullset

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, buddy;

Greg is a good resource for info. Use him.

Also, see if you can find some old publications by Dick Datson. He wrote extensively on Studes, including the Champ 6. He had a couple of booklets on the Stude 6, & how to keep your Stude alive. Not "show quality" stuff, but hardcore use-it type info. & a lot of his techniques aren't too popular here on the hamb, but they work. Unfortunately, he doesn't publish anymore, so used is only way to go. For now.

Marcus...

10. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

following it on SDC, might as well follow the car hear as well!

11. Welcome from Chamblee, GA....you have a lot of fun ahead of you

12. Willy_P

Willy_P

Welcome from Kansas. Nice beer holders!

13. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Texas!

14. MotorVillain

MotorVillain

Welcome from Detroit Nullset! Amazing to hear you're taking on a 24hr of Lemons project, please post pics as your build progresses.

It's not traditional, but thread relevant... here's some pics of the lemons car my buddies and I have run for the past 2 years... and yes we did race them exactly as you see them, and we ran upper mid-pack. We don't have a theme thought up of yet for this year, but plan to run it at the Lemons race in Illinois this fall.

You will have the absolute best time in this event, the people are so cool, helpful, and most don't take it too seriously. It's more about comradery than all out competition.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  15. Rathbone

Rathbone

Wow, that's only the second Studebaker business coupe I've ever seen. The other one was in and auction on TV.

16. StayGold54

StayGold54

Welcome from So Cal!

17. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.