Register now to get rid of these ads!

My unique shoebox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by All_6s_and_7s, Mar 29, 2012.

1. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

*re-posted here from the newbie page*

I have 1950 Ford Club Coupe that I am starting to rebuild.

A mere shell of a former life, I have found out that this car has a unique past as I believe that the original owner was very proud of his Shoebox. When the '51 Ford was produced he bought all the custom accessories for his car that updated his car to the 51 package, including some accessories that were a "custom" touch. I didn't realize what I had until someone had posted a pic of an old ad with all the parts my '50 had

[​IMG]

The only problem now is that the grill teeth are gone. I ask the previous owner, and friend, if he still has the teeth, but he doesn't ever remember taking them off.

The previous owner has a large stash of parts in his drive shed, so hopefully he has them hidden away. On top of that, it looks like one tooth would have been missing from when he bought the car.

I would like to find an early picture with all of these accessories on a car. just to see how it would have looked new.

when I'm finished I won't be running with bumpers and I think that these grill teeth would look awesome.

I just have to find them!!!!

David

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

In all the 49-51 Fords I have seen over the years , I have never seen one with that grille installed. Very cool that you actually have one. Hope you get the pieces you need to complete it.

Is that a bicycle handle bar for an over rider or is that some accessory too?

Don

3. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

As far as I know it's accessory grill bar. I've seen a few different styles, but none that look like that one.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow-quite the find to stumble upon. maybe the teeth from another car are used - Merc or ?
    try shoeboxfords.com and maybe they have seen this before.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

It's aftermarket stuff. The guy threw an entire JC Whitney or Western Auto catalog at that car. Somewhere at home I have a 1960 or so JC Whitney catalog and it has all that stuff in there. The grille teeth were marketed as giving a "high end" look to low-end cars

6. Interesting stuff. Can you post some detailed pics ? What's on the 1/4's?

7. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

See the 'dual exhausts' in the flyer? I knew guys who actually installed such a thing. Poor boys just added a 'dummy' tip, instead, until a summer of plowing gave them the dimes to have duals and Smithys installed. :)

8. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

9. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Ive seen those fins pop up here in the classified everynow and then and on ebay to. but never that grill..nice find

10. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

Hey Tedley, you used a cavalier steering rack on your shoe. Do you have a build thread for that?

11. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

yeah that's the thing, it was all out of this catalog page that I have posted. It was marketed as updating your 49 50 to the new 51 ford trim. I don't know where the teeth idea would have been a 51 upgrade though.

12. Don't think I've seen that grille before. Kinda cool bit of history, looks like someone was really proud of that car.

You've got some work ahead of you.

13. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

yes I do. I bought it just as a shell no interior or drive-train. At least the floor was redone up to the rear end, and the the rockers were already installed.

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

That grille is really something else,i havent never seen one.But the other stuff looks like more familiar to me.
    Good luck with your project.

15. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

Thanks Finn, all the other parts are just standard '51 parts.

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats why they look so familiar:D
    What i have understand,those back up lights are not standard parts,but factorys optional equipment.I dont have them on my 51',there is no patched back up light holes on the tailpan.

17. EBW

EBW

Cool Project.. Looking forward to see what you do with it !

18. Great car, it is neat to see some old aftermarket parts.
    Those grill teeth are similar to 1950 Pontiac if you wanted to go that route.

19. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

wow..great to see in a REAL photo finally...Just get some stoneguards and a rear window windsheild wiper and the whole 'box will be a driving advertisment ! great score..cant wait to see the progress...

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

your grille looked familiar. i found an old mag from about '54 that had a 49 with a similar grille--they said they were '50 pontiac grille bars. hope that helps.