Register now to get rid of these ads!

Infrared thermometer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bogart62, Mar 29, 2012.

1. bogart62

bogart62

Plan on shooting my engine(not literally) with an infrared thermo. In a previous post it was mentioned to shoot the t-stat housing to get a good reading.
    I have a new aluminum radiator in my "55 Gmc. It's big. The temp gauge reads below 140 degrees. Timing is set right on. I am thinking the sender may be off? Gauge off?

Any other areas to shoot with the thermo? Thanks in advance.

Kent

2. noboD

noboD

FIRST test your infrared with boiling water. If you bought the cheap one from Horrible Freight, like I did, it's off. Check all your exhaust outlets to see which cylinders are running right, maybe oil filter, front, back AND side of block, ALL areas of the radiator, Give you a good idea of general condition of whole engine.

3. bogart62

bogart62

Hey thanks. Great idea on the boiling water. It's a raytek, borrowed from a buddy.

4. cayager

cayager

raytek is one of the best. i think the heads run the hottest

5. Willy301

Willy301

If your gauge only reads 140, it could be because of the huge radiator too, but the thermometer will find the truth...

6. swissmike

swissmike

Even professional grade infrared units can measure quite a bit off depending what kind of material / surface you measure. Read the instructions, sometimes they give more info on the subject.

7. duste01

duste01

If you can find a Really good buddy, you might could get an infrared picture worth framing from a thermographer lik this

Attached Files:

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

X's2 on finding instructions. I know they are most accurate on dark flat colors. Not good on shinny silver and white and aluminum.

It's a very cool tool to use and see what's going on with different temps on different parts. even tires, hubs, rear end and trans. Besides the normal engine stuff.

9. F&J

F&J

x2, and it's important to know that when looking for a problem.

My friend tested all the surfaces on one car and the aluminum intake would not read correctly (polished could be the cause?)

Also, I don't think he could read the water inside the rad cap at all?

10. sounds like you need a new thermostat. no matter how big your radiator is the engine should run at the thermostat temp.

11. 1Bad67

1Bad67

Once you play with it a bit, you'll want one yourself.

They do reflect readings off of shiny objects, so you have to be carefull what temp you are actually seeing.

I use mine to check if I have a miss, shoot the exhaust ports, and compare the temps. Cold one is the culprit.

Shoot a radiator, to see if it is partially plugged.

Find corroded wire connections, they are hot.

Heck, just playin the 'red dot' game with the cat is worh it.

12. bogart62

bogart62

All good advice. Thanks. T-stat is new when engine went in last December. I got a feeling it's the gauge/sender. I attached a pic showing the rad. All alum. built to fit the orig. core support.

Kent

Attached Files:

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

i shot my wife with one.!!! cold as ice. just kidding