Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering infront of axle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratty_aussie, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Well I've done a search and found a lot of great info, but it's all for cars. I'm building my soap box (have a build thread going) and have some steering problems. The moment you turn the steering wheel left and the wheels go right! I realize my mistake now. However I can't rotate the steering column 180 degrees cause I'd have NO WHERE to put my huge clown feet.

What I figured so far is that my steering arms/tie rods need to be infront of the axle so turning left actually turns the wheels left. I've read many opinions (hot rods) why's it's "wrong" to be infront, eg if you hit something, steering at low speed etc. I'm only ever really going to be going straight except for overtaking. I've seen many drag cars with infront steering and in theory we're doing the same thing, going straight.

So does anyone see any real problems or safety concerns in I put the steering arms infront if the axle?

Here's my current set up with ass-backwards steering

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After thinking about it for a few minutes:

Yes the easiest way to fix it may be to turn the axle around so that the steering arms are in front or swap the spindles. otherwise you will need to make the pitman arm move the tie rods from the bottom side of the steering shaft rather than the top.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. I thought of that too but that's where my feet need to be, hence the tray I've made cause I've got such big feet :(

4. Yes it is pushing rather than pulling.

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

Can you fit one rod below the column and one above?...

6. Nup, zero room under the column :(

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That will make the wheels turn in opposite directions.

The first thing I would do Ratty Aussie is to take the tie rods loose at the steering shaft, flip the shaft over and hook them back up with the connection on the bottom side. That will make the wheels turn with the steering wheel.

Then you can figure out how to make it work smoothly. You may get away with just setting the toe in and being done with it as there seems to be no suspension to move. Or you may need to raise the steering shaft a few inches to level up the tie rod. Just flip it over and try it and go from there.

8. Ruiner

Ruiner

Another idea is to make a longer rod mount under the column to put the steering rods under your feet/ankles...

9. Ruiner

Ruiner

Hahaha, I didn't even think about turning the wheels opposite directions...that would suck...I like the idea of raising the column...

10. I hear what your saying, but I just can alter the steering column. I'll take a photo when I get home to better explain my dilemma.

11. These guys did it, so can you
    <embed src="http://flashovertv.firerescue1.com/mediaplayer.swf" width="430" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="showadsense=true&videodescriptionurl=http://flashovertv.firerescue1.com/clip.aspx?key=750C1590BFAF9850&adtype=overlay&videoid=750C1590BFAF9850&videopublisherid=ca-video-pub-3847988346517368&channels=FlashoverTV_Entertainment,FlashoverTV_Education,FlashoverTV_ScienceTechnology&backcolor=960014&controlbar=bottom&config=http://flashovertv.firerescue1.com/embedconfig.aspx?key=750C1590BFAF9850&autostart=false&embed=true"><center><font size="-1">FlashoverTV is powered by FireRescue1.com</font></center></embed>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Besides putting the steering quadrant below the shaft, you should also hook the left tie rod
    to the right side of the quadrant and the right tie rod to the left side of the quadrant. Obviously the rods would have to be on opposite surfaces of the quadrant to achieve this. This will preserve the ackerman so you can turn corners smoothly.

13. YaganaWcott

YaganaWcott
    from new york

I thought of that too but that's where my feet need to be
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

One of my favorite Our Gang's!

15. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Because you're playing a loosing battle with weight, you'd be better off with the tie-rods under tension instead of compression.
    Move them to the front!!
    What you will also need to do is correct the Ackerman [ or remove it completely ]

If you want to leave the steering behind [ I wouldn't ] you can "Z" the tie-rods

16. What do you mean under tension instead of compression?

17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Tie rods in front want to stretch [ under tension ] , tie rods behind want to bend [ under compression ] when there is drag on the front wheels.

On cars with rack an pinion steering they always have the tie-rods under tension [ except for "commodes" ]
    On FWD cars they have them under tension from behind [ because of drive torque ]

18. I'm with ya now.

19. Hope these photos can explain better that what I can. Basically if I rotated the steering quadrant 180 degrees the tie rods would need to go through my ankles. Not that keen in drilling holes through my ankles hahaha.

Attached Files:

20. Wanna borrow my chain saw? ;)

No faster than you are going to be traveling and presumably going in a straight line you should be OK. Even if you have to steer it as long as you remember that you have to manually center your steering you should be alright as well.

21. Haha, it is tempting.

Yeah that's what I was kind of thinking.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought you had those clod stompers out in front of the axle like the old gas powered go carts put guys feet.

This is one of those times I don't think you can get there from here very easily.

Take a look at the front of this Bug Go kart that I found on the net.
    [​IMG]

The steering is in front of the axle with the drivers feet behind the steering.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  23. Very interesting.

24. Tie rod in front will make your tires scrub when turning because the inside tire will be turning a wider arc than the outside tire. Opposite what it should be. Go Karts are so light in the front it does not make that much difference.

25. It doesnt look like it would be that hard to raise the column pivot by your feet and 180 the column.
    You'll most likely be fine if you swap the spindles left to right as far as driving goes, but that will close up your foot room by moving the tie rod closer to your feet.
    If the new clearance problem isn't an issue, you have more than enough room to get the ackerman correct by pie cutting the steering arms.

26. That hold true if both tie rods are on the same pivot point. With two separate and deliberately placed pivots the inside tire will turn a much tighter circle.

27. Dapostman

Dapostman

It should work, just make sure you have proper ackerman.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The reason it turns left when you turn the wheel right is because you are in Australia, and are upside down. Simply turn the cart over, and back down the hill. No worries, mate, relax and have a Tinny!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  29. It is almost impossible to point the steering arms to the front on a hot rod and build in the correct Ackerman angle because the brake drums are in the way. On a derby car like the one you are building this should not be a problem.