Register now to get rid of these ads!

balljoint spacers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 72hd, Mar 24, 2012.

1. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

has anyone got personal experence with balljoint spacers in a 55 chevy i want to raise the front without killing the ride and handiling I know I will change both--but how much?? I remember doing this in the 70s with big block impala springs but the ride was terrible any info-good or bad would help thanks 72hd

2. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are only as strong as the three skinny little bolts that hold them on.

4. 6-71

6-71

I assume you realise the ball joint spacers will not lift the front end,but will allow you to use heavier springs or taller springs to raise it. I used the ball joint spacers on my 56 delivery and my 58 biscayne. The bolts worked loose on one side of the 56,and the upper arm cracked around the holes. I replaced the arm and cut a reinforcing plate out of 1/8 steel for the bolts to go through.As long as the bolts are properly torqued,you shouldn't have a problem with them.

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

From experience I can tell you not only will they work, and that you need stronger springs, but you'll need to do some mods around the spring pocket to make them clear and not bind.
    When you install balljoint spacers and lift the front, the control arm will naturally swing inward as the height goes up. The spacer will hit the protrusion on the outside of the spring pocket, and if it isn't ground off it will eventually break the bolts or the spacer, which is also why these got a bad rap in the past when not properly installed.
    When you split the ball joint to do the install you'll notice a extra piece on the outside of the spring pocket that is both rivetted and welded in place. Grind and cut all the rivets and welds beore you start assembly, then pry the piece off. This will give proper clearance for the spacer when fully extended, and no binding.
    Once it's clear you can assemble the new coil springs and spacer and it will work great. It will be firmer, but not rock solid like some would lead us to believe. Much softer than a straight axle, although I prefer an axle to spacers.

6. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

7. R.Otto

R.Otto

you will also need skinnys up front or tires will rub control arms. my bolts didnt loosen but did bend a control arm.

8. 52Poncho

52Poncho

As stated above ball joint spacers are for drag racing not raising the front end. You use them between the upper control arm and the upper ball joint to give you more front end lift with taller springs. This is for better weight distribution in a similar way as a gasser front straight axle.

To raise the front end use heavier springs (stronger spring rate).

9. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

all ball joint spacers do is lets you align the front end with tall springs,just did an elcomino this is it with the 454 in it

Attached Files:

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

They change the instant centre as well.

11. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

They aren't the greatest way to raise a front end by any stretch. Yes they are traditional, but they suck.