Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford flatty's comming back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan's52, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

2. jack orchard

jack orchard

$1000 for a truly crack-free block is not too much if you place a value on your time to find, transport, tear down, clean and magnaflux 2 or 3 junk blocks that you paid $200-300 for. You might be lucky enough to have people bring them to you, but i have search them out....jack

one more point- no cracks equals MUCH less machine shop costs.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Gotta love em, I get a kick out of all the people who ask "what kind of motor is that"? or "is that a Hemi"

Attached Files:

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ive been going to the big three swap meet for a long time. It has always had a lot of flathead stuff. I would say less now than before.

5. I love flatties....have had two of them myself, but I've gotta say that when I talk to my dad and his old hotrod buds about getting another one, they just roll their eyes.

These are guys who ran flatheads in the 50's because that's what they had (and couldn't afford the new Hemis and brand new SBCs. In the 60's as young married types, they ran all the new hot V8's at the drag strip and then continued that trend into the 70s and 80s.

They're now running Hemis, SBCs and an occasional SBF in their sweet traditional rods because, as they put it, they're the best engines for the money. They all laugh at me and my love of flatheads and consider a flathead to be a silly little toy that you throw a lot of money at to get half of what you get with a SBC.

I come back with the whole nostalgia thing and they laugh even harder....they reply that they were there "back in the day" and only used flatheads because that's what they had to work with at the time.

All this, not to rile anyone up....just my experience with a group of old rodders who I've been handing wrenches to since about 1970.

ps....on this issue, I ignore their taunts and continue my love affair with the flatty.

6. FLATHEAD'N IT

FLATHEAD'N IT

As seen in my user name. I am a flatty fan too. My 37 Ford truck is powered by an 8BA. I have always liked that saying "The world is flat"

7. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I rebuild about two engines a month for the local guys. Also have about 20 blocks stored mostly 8BA's. Just a great engine, solid, reliable and gutsy. They just look awesome when decked out. It says some thing about the old flatty when were here talking the pros and cons. Particularly since they went off into the sunset @ 50 years ago!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It think the message here is that there are NEW guys becoming interested in flatheads, meaning that the market for them is getting stronger.

Good news, bad news. Prices will rise, old stock dug up and sold off, new repops will start to show up, etc.

Cars are like fashion, if you keep it long enough it eventually comes back in style.

9. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Love it when youngsters ask "hey mister how come four spark plugs and three exhaust pipes?".

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Hmm, you mean this isn't the way to Go?

11. Say, who do you use for a machine shop?

12. s nichols

s nichols

personly I went from flatheads to fuel injected 302 now back to flatheads.

13. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

That my friend, is what is all about.

14. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Nevala....I do most of the work except tanking the block, magnaflux, and boring. I use a shop over in Arlington, Tx for that work.

15. iajjpop

iajjpop
    from Iowa

Where do I buy a new ''FLATHEADS FOREVER SIGN'' . A friend is building a flathead , and I would like to buy one for him .......THANK YOU.....

16. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Sometimes they show up on ESlay.

17. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Flathead V8, a simple timeless piece of history, yet still relevant for today!

18. 40grit

40grit

One more newby that loves his flatty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

The flathead did leave. When i was a young hotrodder 50 years ago the first thing we did when the old Ford came into the yard was to yank that flathead and put in an Olds, Caddy or maybe even one of those little Chevys.
    Now I've got a 34 PU and 35 coupe both with souped up flatheads. I love it....I never spent so much money to go so slow......
    But the crowd will climb over that 350/350 to check out that flatmotor..And that straightpipe sound is just killer.

20. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Dont ever paint that car. Just drive it like you stoled it

21. customrod48

customrod48

I have been selling spare flatty parts for a long time at a local swap meet and was very glad to see the huge increase by young (under 30) crowd starting to buy and build flattys.........

22. jrt49box

jrt49box

Yup real motors don't have valve covers!!

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

If it's $1000 for a block, then demand is still high. That means they are still popular. If everyone was selling off, they'd be $50....

24. I have two waiting for future use. 1 52 8BA and a 50 8CM. :)

Lee

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

Flatheads are still the mainstay of real American Hot Rods.
    People never stopped building and rebuilding them to place back into their 'Antique' cars.
    -Like the Ford 4 banger, Model T and A owners kept right on restoring what they had so the demand has never really gone away.
    It's true that a resurgence got under way probably starting in the 90's but for the most part Flatheads/Bangers are more popular than ever and with that comes price. -I do miss the days of walking thru the swapmeets and buying 97's for 3 or $5.

26. guy1unico

guy1unico

Ive had z 28's, el caminos, and when i sold the Chevy's I thought I'd better bone up on flatheads so i joined The Early Ford V8 Club of Dallas (founded 1981) these guys taught me alot about life (avg. age is around 70) and a ton about flatheads. Got 3 / one in each of my rods now...and not looking back...the key is drive um!

Guy Weintraub
    President
    Early Ford V8 Club - Dallas

27. I just saw Elvis in the local Walmart parking lot...He was driving a flathead.