Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Good to talk to you briefly in Detroit, Chris. I'll be at Mega Speed. I think my painting skills are rustier than my car. :D

Me neither... I'm hoping I can get it back together.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I'll be back at it this weekend, see if I can figure out that trunk lid.

2. Dang Andrew, you should name the thread "Create a shoebox from a roll of mig wire!":D Lookin' great man! Thanks for postin' dude, I'm keepin' up with the progress.

3. Got the trunk lid trimmed a bit better...

[​IMG]

A couple of pie-cuts along the edges...

[​IMG]

Filled the gaps and got everything tacked together...

[​IMG]

Pretty much got the lid filling the hole, but the contour is still off. Once I replace the framework underneath I should resolve those problems, I hope. If all else fails I'll go back to the original lid that Bob made and see if I can fix it up.

Speaking of Bob, I got a care package from him on Friday. I've got my summer wardrobe figured out, and there were some nice surprises that will be going on this car at some point. Thanks Bob.

I filled all the trim and handle holes in the doors, did a few other small jobs. No pics of that stuff.

4. Looking good...
    I'm always excited for monday and the HAMB to check on what ya did this past weekend...
    keep at it

5. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Just checking in on your progress. Man it takes some large stones to cut up a deck lid like that and have it come out so good,but I guess you proved you got them throughout this project. Spring is coming and I know you want to go cruising in that shoe so step it up Pal.:)

6. EBW

EBW

I like the progress pics.. Helps me see what I need to do with my project. Keep it up !

7. Tell me about it. I'm looking at the calendar and I don't have a ton of free weekends between now and May. Time is FLYING.

8. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Great job on all the Metal Work. Very impressive

9. May? Icebergs go out of season up there?

10. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Looking Good bro. You are a rockstar, brutha.

11. hotdamn

hotdamn

man-o-man-o-man-o-man!!!

as per usual am late as hell on this, but seriously, hats off to you bro!

I appreciate the hell out of you sayin to hell with it and just doing it, I know for years I would get intimidated by stuff and not mess with it but have found that if you just get in there and do it it tends to work out.

In this day and age of technology we see all these high end dudes metal finishing everything and we think we need to do the same when in reality just do it the best you can and drive that motherfucker.

my 54 is far from perfect but you cant tell when it passes you on the road :D

12. Was good seeing you in Mega Speed this past weekend brother, glad to see the striping and painting skills were still there too,ha,ha... I need to do a panel swap with you some time when it isn't so hectic......
    Chris.

13. Finding time to paint is next to impossible, but I gotta get back in practice so I can lay some stripes on this some day.

Made a little more progress on the trunk. A little. Repeat after me, a little progress is better than no progress...

Tidied up the cuts to the underside framework...

[​IMG]

Made some new pieces to fill the gaps left from extending the lid...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now the trunk lid fits the hole and is nice and stiff. At my age, I'm happy when anything other than my back and knees is stiff :D

Still got a lot of finish welding to do, thank the gods for bondo. I'm having welder issues... like, I ain't no welder. I'm getting there.

14. Keep at it. Looking good. There is a lot to be learned here.
    Thanks for keeping up.

15. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

* one thing at a time is progress *

I was telling someone all of the mechanical fixes I've done to my truck... things you will never see and I realized how much I really have done to it since I've had it... even tho' it doesn't look much different.

Thanks for cataloging everything, I know how time consuming that can be as well.

-W

16. I'm sick of that trunk lid, and since I only had a couple of hours in the garage this weekend I figured I'd tackle something smaller. I'll get back to the trunk in a week or three.

I think I've determined that I can have full rear windows (no vent) that will wind up and down. The back part of the window has moved forward enough with the chop to almost clear the wheelwell. Good 'nuff for me says I...

Window could use a good cleaning, can't even see through it...

[​IMG]

I think I can live with a little glass showing when it's down...

[​IMG]

I think the glass can be notched a bit at the back end to give me clearance at the wheelwell. I think once I finesse the template a bit I might get the glass to disappear completely...

[​IMG]

Just have to figure out a brace, this is just roughly cut and placed in for now. I'll clean it up and make it look all spiffy n' shit...

[​IMG]

It actually works. I might eventually go with something other than cardboard and vice grips, but for now I'm embracing the "rat rod" aesthetic... :D

[​IMG]

Another small victory. I've been losing sleep over those rear windows. I was going to go with static glass, or some kind of pop-out vent, but I'm glad I think the wind-up will work without a bunch of fancy engineering. I couldn't useta spell engineer, now I are one. :D

17. You do know that is a hard 'G'...Guh, not Juh.:cool:

18. Looking good my Canadian Friend....You deserve a Beer for the progress.

19. Great work so far. It will all gell one day.
    A lot of windows in cars today can't roll there windows all the way down so i don't think it's that big a deal if that's the way it works out. I really don't care for that vent in the back either.
    I'm trudging along as well, slow progress sometimes.

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice!
    Thats pretty much same idea i had in my mind with the quarter windows.I have pair (or 2?) of original rear vent windows.I planned that i cut off a piece of the window rail and made a guide rail for the windows rear side.And mount it by that way its completely hidden.

Desototaildragger likes this.
  21. Thanks gents.

I'm pretty relieved about the windows, almost seems too easy. What am I missing? I know I'll have to figure out some sort of channel for the glass to slide in, and I need to source some kind of generic rubber seal by the foot or something. I ordered the one-piece tudor back glass window seal from Dennis Carpenter awhile ago, it's supposed to work for what I'm doing. I knew I was going to have to modify it, but it ain't even close. Need to find something else. Uncharted territory for me.

22. Most projects I look back and say, "Damn, that wasn't so bad" makes me more willing to tackle projects I think are out of my league. Every time my league gets a little bigger.

Keep on going.

23. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Keep us updated with what you find for a window seal. I'm sure there are plenty of us in the same boat. Good luck.

24. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Big A try "Restoration specilties and supply" in PA. #841 467 9842 they have a wide selection of rubber and other stuff. I don't have the URL but Google them and take a look at the online catalog. I've never not found what I needed there.

25. Shee-it TZ, your league makes my league look like T-ball, but thanks for the compliment.

Thanks for the info Ralphie I'll have a look.

26. Square

Square
    from Canada

Hell Ya! Nice job Big A, just found this thread! See you at MegaSpeed next year..

27. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Try C.R. Laurence for your generic seal and channel action...........They be having a warehouse on Fulton Industrial.

28. Cool, thanks Chuck. I just had a look online for CR Laurence, there's a location about 2 miles from my office.

Good to meet you a few weeks ago Square. I need to get out and paint more, been spending too much time screwing around with this car!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  29. Made a little progress on the window brace frame structure thingamadoovalacky...

[​IMG]

You'd think by now my welding would be getting better. I keep hoping :rolleyes:

It's not super-pretty but it's solid and it'll be covered up by trim (lousy excuse, I know), and I did get some style points for the bead rolled down the middle I hope, and I rolled the bottom edge under cuz it seemed like the right thing to do.

I've got another side to practice on tomorrow.

30. That weird-ass rust pattern on the regulator panel is because the paint looks like it was slathered on by a drunk guy with a mop. I'm pretty sure it's factory original... quality is job 1.