Register now to get rid of these ads!

Licenseplate.tv vs Calif DMV

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roll of the dices, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Herbie3Rivers

Herbie3Rivers

Since it now appears that licenseplates.tv is no longer making Cali plates, does anyone else know where you can get a quality reproduction plate now?

2. srfndoc

srfndoc

All the places I've checked are no longer making them as well. Glad I ordered mine
    last year.

3. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Just tried to get some plates from LPTV, they do NOT make California plates anymore. I asked why and "they are not of liberty to say".
    So they may have been strong armed by the state or sued or something. Which sucks cause I'm Looking for some Plates to be made.
    PM me If u have a friend who does it :)

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

And by the way, "dice" is plural. One is a "die".

5. dsigh

dsigh

Stay clear of www.cr8-apl8.com. This guy is an A1 d-bag. Read the reviews that are out there on this crook.

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

i agree... just google cr8apl8 scam and look what pops up.. i bought one knowing it wasnt going to be a great plate..but i just wanted it for my game room.. was even crapier than i expected! California was crooked, VERY cheap looking.. I wouldnt even hang it in my garage.. stay clear of that guy!

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the 1940 YOM plates for my '40 big truck registered with little hassle other than they wanted more money than the guy at the local DMV initially charged me. They are car plates not commercial but that wasn't a problem. One thing to remember, when you check the plates through the DMV site it only tells you the plate number sequence is not CURRENTLY in use. There is no such thing as DMV clear. You may purchase plates which are not currently in use but when you finally get around to applying for them to be issued to your ride you may find out someone else has been issued that sequence or has an application pending meaning that you are sitting with a nice wall display. So if you do get a set of plates that are not currently in use make sure you apply to the DMV to get them assigned to your ride ASAP. My experience with the local D?MV was good (other than the more money issue). They checked some manuals, photo copied the plates, BS'd with me about old cars for a bit, took my money and sent me on my way.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

This has had me thinking since yesterday. So, here's what came to mind. Let's say the State did strong arm LPTV. Is it possible that LPTV would get the contract to do this said black plates? If so OK great then. Now I only say this because maybe on the off chance the "Man" is reading any of this. He might get the clue that if the DMV is going to offer black plates they better be solid black with no reflective paint and needs to have raised California letters.

9. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I went to their website , they do not even look real and $100 a pop --- swap meet !!

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

Think of the state of California as the U.S. Mint and plates as $100 bills. Any bills the Mint doesn't print are fake. Made the connection?

11. Fenders

Fenders

Like in all those Bruce Willis movies, Dice Hard.

12. Dies, Dice, Whats the difference???

13. dsigh

dsigh

No, the CA plates they used to sell were legit.

14. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I saw a late euro suv last week on the 101 fwy with a euro style rear plate that has the 7 place Cali license sequence and month/year stickers on it...I guess it boils down to what chance you will take...:rolleyes:

15. by dsigh: No, the CA plates they used to sell were legit.

Incorrect. The ONLY legal license plates for ANY state are those made BY the state in a prison. ALL others are reproductions,. fakes, whatever, but ALL are illegal for road use. You guys that want to flaunt the law, and perhaps ruin chances for YOM registrations in your state to continue...by all means, do so. Don't whine and moan when the cops confiscate your car because of YOUR choices.

16. tikitiki65

tikitiki65

I'm looking for to have a blue CA plate made to match a missing one. PM me if you a place that does this. Thanks

17. Its those dishonest little things that make hotrodding more difficult.We should be grateful that the state will let us run yom plates at all.We all need to do the right thing if we want to keep hotrodding alive .

18. RTS1

RTS1

I have a friend that has a WWII military jeep and he took the plates off (original), sand blasted them to remove the paint and had my son paint them black gloss, the original color. Then, my son painted the yellow letter and numbers back on and they turned out great! Is what they did illegal?

19. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Legit is the new slang for cool.

20. Again, YOUR choice.

21. Technically yes that was illegal. But I highly doubt he will get hassled.

And to the guy that said 100 dollars a plate and they don't look real. I'll go to a swapmeet. You clearly don't live in California. I dmv clear set of 50 plates in cali easy 500 bucks. Plus dmv hassles plus you have to pay extra each year to run them.