Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chinese HEI's YUK what should i run???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. plus: we have the only !

active customer service line ( monday thru friday from 7am to 5pm mst)
    THAT ANSWER THE PHONE .......TO
    forums and emails to help each customer ( HOW MANY COMPANIES HAVE THAT )

3. We do :D

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

Tinman has it right

5. post your phone number and i'll post mine!;)

btw, do you have a shop video ?

any record setting cars using your product ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. mustangsix

mustangsix

The basic duraspark design is hard to beat. Couple that to an MSD and it works great.

The only issue I've ever had with one are the plastic bushings on the advance weights. Fabricated some brass ones and it was fixed forever.

7. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Send your stock dist to Jim Linder (GMC Bubba on the HAMB) and he can rebuild it to whatever your needs are whether it be points or electronic dist. It will be even cheaper than buying a Chinese crappy one, problem solved. :cool:

http://www.lindertech.com/bhrs/services.htm

8. FoxSpeed

FoxSpeed
    from NorCal

duraspark, msd, listen to the ford guys. They work well together.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Did you get my PM ? I'm an unhappy camper, just ordered a shiney billet look flamethrower for my SBC and would have preferred the stock look one.
    The shiney one is still in the box and just got delivered. :(
    Larry.

10. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I just bought one from Summit for a Ford 302, $139.96. Complete unit, requires only a 12Volt wire to it. With their name I have confidence in it, I hope that it works out.

11. yardgoat

yardgoat

What kind of electronic box ? Thanks for any help.........................YG

12. be careful what you ask for.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm having trouble with the logic of spending thousands of dollars on a car and then installing a crap $50 Chinese distributor made by small children. It doesn't make sense.

15. no55mad

no55mad

There is a guy I see at many of the Calif swap meets and he converts stock distributors to hei and sells them ready to go for $150. His business is called 'Galaxy'.

16. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I agree.... or spend the money and buy one from summit or jegs, like a msd pro billet.

17. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've had good luck with my used one, as well. I found it on C-list for about $60. I do, however, use a spike attenuator & a matching Mallory coil & ballast resister.

[​IMG]

18. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

The HEI was the worst main stay factory electronic ignition system from the big 3. Why put your module so close to your high kv coil?! Why is the condenser so close to the module? To try to keep from killing the module in that high Kv environment. Ford put their condenser on the coil for optimum noise suppression. The only real bugger on the Duraspark ignition is that you have to pull the distributor to change the curve. Ford must have done something right since the MSD pickup looks identical to the Duraspark pickup. Get a small cap duraspark in your ride, step up to the TFI coil and call it a day.

19. mrpowderkeg

mrpowderkeg

20. Not to mention that the coils leak voltage into the cap like crazy! Add a high output coil and it makes the entire system even worse. Even GM figured it out and only used them for about 10 years before abandoning the design and going to the EST with a separate coil.

21. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The dura spark curve can be adjusted through a slot in the breaker plate. There is two springs mounted on tabs ( bend in and out with screwdriver) The light spring is low speed and the heavy is high speed etc. One of the most adjustable units out there .
    And to make it even better the vac cans are adjustable using small allen wrench as well..... Done a couple this week already.....:)

22. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

Pertronix ... In youre old stock distributor ...

23. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Duraspark fan checking in. Here's how I do it.

[​IMG]