Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Original " Orange Crate is 4 sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OneBad56, Mar 22, 2012.

1. a dollar and the right six numbers........

2. Deuces

Deuces

I blew 5 bucks friday and only 2 of the numbers came in... :rolleyes:

3. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Yep and you dont know shit....................................

4. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

That really brings memories as the Orange Crate was my favorite model car when I was a kid. I think I built 2 or 3 of them and I always wanted a 32 after that.

5. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

I guess a guy in Vancouver named Paul bought it.

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yeah ok.

7. You all can sleep easy now. A HAMBer bought it. It is in very good hands and will be taken very good care of. He will will post if he wants. I will leave it up to him to out it. Awesome car for the record.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

i'll Volunteer to tuck it in at night so it doesnt feel loneley....

9. Powerage440

Powerage440

I remember going to Keith Randols shop a few times in the 80's and have him flow the Hilborn injectors on our car, great guy! I had to send back to Hilborn this time, didn't like having to ship it so far, and quite a bit more spendy! sure miss Keith, a very talented man.
    Don Burgoyne

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would buy it. But only if there was a pair of them.

11. tinmann

tinmann

Old thread........... I know.

But every time I hear/read the term "resto mod", I wanna slap Craig Jackson upside the head. One of his invented words that makes his moneyed up friends feel like they're actual car guys.

In the same vein as Barry Macquire, shaking hands with all his "car guys" and holding their hand a little too long........ ewwwwww.

12. Yeah its a old thread but I'll play .... the car is an icon. At a time when kids were admiring the silly creations of Barris and Roth (dont get me wrong I dig the hell outta Ed RIP) the Orange Crate's admirers were the guys that didnt believe in cartoons and fall for marketing tricks. The Orange Crate lovers were a more "in touch" group of car lovers (IMO)

Attached Files:

13. The term Resto Mod has been around a LONG time before Craig and his Merry Band of Auctioneers became popular. It was applied to Muscle Cars back in the 80's, while Resto Rod was used on a large part of the Hot Rodding movement as early as the 70's - maybe to some extent in the 60's

14. Well it has been ayear now and I still have no idea where it ended up. Curbspeed says a HAMBER bought it, but never did hear any more.......Come on Curbspeed fill us in. Ya don't have to say who, but it would be nice to know it is still in the USA and what there plan is for it.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That sucker would be at the HAMB drags runnin if it was mine. Period!!! Lippy

16. titus

titus

Yes a hamber did buy it.

17. F&J

F&J

Even in screwed up times, that seemed like a really good deal. I can see it being worth many times that to a serious museum someday

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Be patient....

19. saltracer219

saltracer219

The Orange Crate is alive and well in Vancouver, Wa. It's current care takers are dedicated traditional Hot Rodders. It could not be in better hands.

Trust me, it will run again soon, I am seeing to that. It takes a while to undue 40 years of neglect......

20. Maybe the new owner will be interested to read about this hand crafted model built in New Zealand by famed craftsman Graham Berry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Yep. It went to a very good home indeed.

22. I agree, I never heard the bastardized term until the TV auction and Brock Yates started throwing it around.

Must have been a local thing.

23. Not at all. I am pretty sure you can find that many of the Early Times cars were called Resto Rods and magazines like Car Craft and Hot Rod used Resto Mod regularly.
    resto Mod was generally applied to a 60's Muscle car that looked basically stick but had aftermarket wheels and tires, built motors, updated interiors etc, but still carried the stock "flavor"

24. banjorear

banjorear

Curious, so the body hinges up. Do or does the door(s) work as well? Looks like there is a seam there.

25. couverkid

couverkid

Well I guess its time to come on here and say me and my dad are the owners of the orange crate. When I seen it for sale I made the decision I was going to own it no matter what I had to sell. Luckily my dad went in half. We both sold some cars real quick and got it. It will run again with help from a few friends saltracer219 is helping on the motor,we are very thankful for that. It will stay in the northwest and cared for by us for years to come.

26. couverkid

couverkid

Yes the doors open like original,can even open them with body up. Has steel plate in rocker area of body front to back.

27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Was wondering when you'd chime in

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very cool! Hope I see it at some local venue in the near future!

29. Ruler!

30. F&J

F&J

I can't believe you & your family pulled that off!

The car really is in it's own class and can't really be compared to any other famous car...it's just so different for the time it was built, and got so much press and started so many kids on modeling.

Awesome that you got it

I only have 2 pieces of garage art in my crummy shop, and one is the original instructions to the model kit of it :D