Register now to get rid of these ads!

Homemade brackets vs bought? sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Im trying to find pics of brackets for the power steering and alternator on the net and here on the hamb.

There arent very many clear pictures of em,I only found the streetroddy ones.
    Im trying to find the simplest, cleanest brackets.
    I could either make em myself or buy em from a vendor.
    Which way did you go?
    Pictures please?

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

For a short or long water pump?

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thats an easy one to make for the alt. Have you considered hanging it up side down? You still use the long bolt and sleeved spacer and hole in the head (assumeing you have late heads). The bracket ends up looking like a backwards C with the adjusting slot on the bottom. There is source for them but there name excapes me. But you can make it yourself from alum.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the first step as they are different.

The only thing with fabricating your own brackets is the time involved. If you are willing to invest a lot of hours in them to get them so they fit and work right head on.

It may be one of those places Though where spending the money and bolting them on and having them fit and work not only is simpler but allows a better use of your time spent working on the car. What could you accomplish in that three or four days of rod building time that it would probably take to fab up a set of brackets that really needs to be done on the car in that period of time?
    I've got a good friend who had a rod shop for years who used to pride himself on his custom made brackets until he woke up and figured out that he was spending a full day building a bracket that he could order for 25.00 and bolt on in five minutes and be done with it.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Only posted for example purpose. OP was asking for pics. Since all I know how to do is attach links, this is my best offering.

9. bohica2xo

bohica2xo
    from Las Vegas

Probably a mixture of OEM brackets & a few mods will suit you best.

A couple of things...

Are you staying with the vee belts, or going serpentine?

Are you planning on A/C? Sound system? Crazy lights?

The alternator you are using there will be a headache unless you go serpentine. The little AD237 and it's bigger brother the AD244 were never intended to swing in a mount. The mounting spools are too close to the case, and were made to bolt down solid through both holes.

If you plan to have A/C, then do brackets with that in mind. There are some great compressors out there, and some real dogs. GM used both too. Building an A/C system around whatever you have laying on the floor never works out.

Alternators. If you will have loads that need it, as much as 200 reliable amps is possible in a case that fits OEM brackets. I have most of the harness plugs on the shelf if you need something. Some GM crank pulleys too. Are you in Amargosa?

B.

10. I don't have any pics, but if you use a water pump off a 69 & up Nova or Impala, it will have a boss cast into the water pump. Then you could use the factory power steering brackets off the same car.

11. The factory brackets I'm referring to put the p.s.pump in just about the same spot as your picture. Minus the headaches of trying to fab your own.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what years did they start using the long pump?

I used to have a large selection of SBC brackets and pully setups until my friends found out how many I had collected over the years. now I don't have enough to do my own car.

13. I think the long pumps came out in '69.

14. rpol7966

rpol7966

'69 was the first year for the long water pump in passenger cars. Trucks didn't use the long pump until '73. The short pump works a lot better where space is a concern.
    Along with a long pump, '69 was also the first year that the heads had bolt holes in the end. Many brackets utilized these holes for mounting.

15. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Try Alan Grove Components...all steel reasonably priced mostly all sbc stuff

16. Are there no junkyards in your area?

17. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

I used Bill's too, clean and simple design.
    IIRC, I ordered them raw and had them powdercoated black.
    IMO the Alan Grove brackets are fugly.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2. My time ain't free. Brackets are cheap. Bill's are too street-rody for my tastes.

19. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Hmm.. I've blown up enough chevy motors to have five gallon buckets of them things.(somewheres) Now matching them pulleys and mounts? they made 305 alternator mounts and 350 mounts on the water pumps is a tab.. that tab is different. And some had a bolt in front of the thermostat housing, and most bolted to the left bolt on the housing. Them are "wrap around top sliders.. paint it up pretty and it hides most the alternator.

On the 57, I did a old flat tab adjustor off a school bus , the 100+amp alternator on my magic motor. Powder coated the pulleys and brackets at home.

Chevys have had crappy acc drives since day one.. hit a high rpm and roll-wad up the belts. Happened more than once outrunning the law in the 70s.

Serpentine belts are neat, you can buy a lifetime warranty belt, lighter at high rpms and spring tensioned.