Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Extraction - A Broken Tool n Back Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AutoArt66, Mar 24, 2012.

1. This was a all out knock down drag out fight between myself, heavy 51 year old steel and good ol mother earth. Im really sore and hobbling around today but chalk one up for the old man on this one - its in my shop. In my defense its a one owner all original car that was parked in 1969 and I would not be denied (so ridiculous I will never learn obviously).
    The pics tell most of the story other then the 3 solid hour load time, 3 rotten & flat tires, broken shovels, exploded and a melt down winchs, broken tow straps, shredded ropes, broken chain, and alot of dug up earth! Thank god for my 7.3 diesel 4x4 because I would likely still be there sweating and scratching my head - hard head that is! I just cant figure out why my wife or best buds wont "come along" anymore on these runs with me?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Dig it, pun intended.....

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

You won...bigtime! :D

4. I would have went with you :), that's the fun part....you really have to want it!. I done that several times no we carry a jack, roller wheels and a couple pieces of thick plywood. You really scored, the side trim behind the bird is super straight looking, hopefully the bed cover saved the floor grate and the bed stainless is good too.

I love the '60 elco much more then the '59, so I'm a minority.

5. Here are some additional pictures for the El Camino fans. The stainless is really nice and the rest of the car is untouched and complete. Looks like a runner also, the 4bbl 283 turns over freely and all the fluids look really good so Im hoping for the best with only 94k miles on the odometer. Its a 2 speed Power Glide car with power brakes and power steering. It will need floor pans front and rear but the body is straight and overall super solid, considering it sat outside in the same spot for 30+ years!

Attached Files:

6. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Looks like ya unearthed a real gem there.:D

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

That wasn't Mother Earth.

The Devil himself probably had his eye on it.

Words cannot describe how jealous I am.

8. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

Do you have a frame? It can't be good under there.

9. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I am glad you got her.

10. I havent had it on a rack yet but but from the trailer view it looks solid with just surface rust - and it didnt break in half when I picked it from the front cross member and trailer hitch bracket! a good sign.... these are so heavy and over engineered its a tribute to the designer's.
    Saving grace was #1 - California weather #2 - parked on a high point in the back 40 of the property #3 - the fibeglass tonneau cover which shed most of the water off and away from the bed.

11. Looks like you had a good day. Congratulations.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That thing is really good looking and solid. The trench you dug getting it out is pretty funny. :D Golf has to be an easier hobby., why do we car nuts put ourselves through this sort of stuff. :confused::D

Don

13. The fight looks well worth the reward! Congratulations :) Now what's the plan?

14. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I'd say the beating you took to get that gem was well worth it. You're bound to heal in a few days. And you got your prize. Nice going. Show us pics as the work progresses.

15. Don,
    We all have issues here and thats why the HAMBS so important. As we sit covered in mud, sweating heart pounding looking at our "golden rusty steel" we know somewhere there is a hole army of like minded rooting you on.
    Does it make sense? No
    Can it be explained? No
    Remember what car and where you caught it from? YES!

Thanks guys its almost noon here (thank god) which means I can "self medicate" my aching back! All I will be lifting today is a beer.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Hehe, believe me, I could tell you stories of cars I have resurrected from places that no human being should ever go. Snakes, bees, Florida Panthers, dragging a 200 pound rear end across sugar sand in 95 degree heat, etc. I just wonder if I did my Sons a favor by infecting them with this car craving..............maybe I should have been a sports fanatic. :D

Don

17. 327Eric

327Eric

Sounds like what i went through to get my 59 El camino. 8 miles off the paved road near Nevada City. Pushed down a bank to keep people from stealing parts. I burned my winch, killed the battery, broke a cable, finally with help from a 4x4 samurai, got it on the flat. 3 flats and one locked wheel. finally got it on the trailer after 4 hours. went to leave, and a brake line on my tow rig broke. Put it in 4 low till we hit the highway, and drove it to town on the front brakes. at about 15 mph. It was snowing and i was getting this car, I had been after it 4 years. Good Times.

18. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Whats the difference between a story and a 'back' story?

20. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice score , and recovery pictures , keep the updates coming as you revive it

21. Cymro

Cymro

Probably as good as winning the lottery.

22. JJK

JJK

Sweet patina to boot!!

23. Who remembers this Hambers determination ? What happened to him ?

Attached Files:

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

oh my god!! this is why some women hate our kind!

25. Isn't that a woman in the hole digging?

26. HarleyGyrene

HarleyGyrene

Nice score: well worth the effort. That Camino is in awesome shape for it's age: call me if you get tired of it !!!

:)

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, and that is reason number two why they hate our kind ! :D:D

Don

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well worth it, I would say.

29. Willy301

Willy301

Pain is temporary, the glory of driving that beauty on a nice sunny day is forever!

30. Plan is to get it running, then stopping - in that order.... come on 283!