Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going racing 64 K code Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmbgarage, Mar 10, 2012.

1. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

I am finally working on my 64 K code Fairlane. I have wanted for awhile to run the car a little (nostalgia races) and did not want to take a chance with the 289 hipo. Below are some pics of the initial stages of work. I have gotten the entire front suspension out and will rebuild it along with the rear. It will also receive a new gas tank and all new fuel and brake lines. Other than that the car will remain in the condition of the pics. The 289 hipo and the original Borg Warner came out and will be replaced with a 347 and a toploader.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Very Nice!!! How do you keep your shop so clean? Or is it brand new?

3. Spooky

Spooky

A K code 289. Damn what a great little engine! Dig the car too!

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Sounds like you are on your way to having a lot of fun. Please keep us updated.

5. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Very nice looking stocker. Good luck with the rebuild and hope you have a great racing season. Have fun.

6. Glass_Packs

Glass_Packs

Absolutely LOVE IT! I took my '62 Fairlane to the race track last year and loved it - this year I'm going back with a toploader 4-speed instead of the 3-speed on the column.

Thanks!
    Tom - Glass_Packs

7. 60 ford

60 ford

Sweet car, and a 289 hipo thats awesome.

8. 64gal

64gal

Love that era of cars, goodluck, Tom.

Attached Files:

9. SLCK64

SLCK64

What class can you run in with a 347?

10. Duner

Duner
    from Wisconsin

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

k code didnt they call those baby bolts?
    I remember one from my high school days it was a rocket!

12. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

I clean up during every project about every couple of days, but sometimes I think I spend more time cleaning than working.

Right now I am planning on running the Southern nostalgia super stock racing association. You can run any motor combination as long as it is the same base manufacture as the car. They run heads up but it is broken into three time classes. The car will also see street duty probably more than the track.

13. 4tford

4tford

Very nice 64! One of fords best designs I think.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool Fairlane.. Sounds like fun.. Great job on the lettering.......

15. Good luck
    Here is my 63
    [​IMG]

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I race mine a few times a year for fun. Most of my family races so if I want to see them at all during the summer I have to go to the track.:D My brother had a 63 k car he raced in D/S in 63-65. Same color as yours, said "STRONGER THAN DIRT" on the quarters.

17. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

18. Judd

Judd

Cool car! You going to race with Sol Stewart's bunch? I think my 406 Galaxie was sold new at that dealer. I race my Comet with the Southerngassers.

Attached Files:

19. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

I wish I could take the credit for the lettering, but it was looking this way long before me. The car was a race car since new and was run out of the Muldon Ford dealership (Pensacola, Florida) back in the day. It won the Winter Nascar Nationals Drag race in Daytona and set a record in the process. Below is a pic of a flyer from Muldon Ford.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Yes, I am trying to get the car ready as the first race is March 31 at Mobile Dragway. I admit it will be close but if I do not make it I will definitively make the next one. I think I had seen on another site that the Southern Gassers were wanting to run at the races also. Is this going to happen?

20. Judd

Judd

I'm not sure about gassers stockers get together but it would be a cool day!
    I'll have to try and make it to Irvington on the 31st. The Galaxie is on stands for 4 speed rebuild right now so I may try and drive the Comet over.

Yes, I am trying to get the car ready as the first race is March 31 at Mobile Dragway. I admit it will be close but if I do not make it I will definitively make the next one. I think I had seen on another site that the Southern Gassers were wanting to run at the races also. Is this going to happen?[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

21. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Really cool ford!

22. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

Really nice car , Good luck !

23. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Very kewl car ...

Not a K code car ... just my little c-dan with 289/c4 that I just picked up. Future calls for TTD's & 5 speed. I'd like to get to the track with it later this year.

[​IMG]

Good luck with yours - looks great.

PACO

24. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Cool Car !

Here is my 63 sportcoupe I bought in CA in '91, an original survivor.

Doug

Attached Files:

25. 63Compact

63Compact

Gotta love them Fairlanes.

26. spike427

spike427
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

I would have went on and ran the original motor as I ran several for many years and had alot of fun with them.Was this car originally raced with the lettering or did you do it?

27. Thanks for the rear engine shot. Love those 5-bolt bellhousings. Just the thing for tucking under the firewalls of early Fords without hacking. The early fairlanes were so reminiscent of mid-fifties Fords.

28. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

The car was originally raced with the lettering. Previous page has a copy of an advertising brochure from Muldon Ford with the car in it.

29. bmbgarage

bmbgarage

Been working on the car but have not had much time this last week. Basically got the bottom end of the motor together and all suspension painted and ready to go back together also.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Using the old traction bars that were on the car originally but this meant I had to cut new bushings as the old ones were toast

[​IMG][​IMG]