Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was your big brother your hero?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doc Squat, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Mine was. He had a 58 Chevy with a 348 BB and 3 twos on top. Probably the biggest sleeper car there ever was. Dog dish hub caps and no chrome. We would run it at the Kahoka, Missouri drag strip.
    He passed away several years ago but he was my hero. Difference between me and him, he saved until he could pay cash. I never learned that lesson.

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no. I might be his hero... I'll have to ask next time I talk to him.

3. Don't have a big brother, my oldest foster brother was a beatnick but he is older than my big sis.

Now as siblings go my big sis is as close to being a hero as any. She's not a rodder or a scooter tramp but she has always been there for me, and encouraged me to do whatever I thought I could do.

4. no brothers or sisters

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yep..I learned alot about cars from him but he never had any real hot rods, thought they were a waste of money...

6. WDobos

WDobos

My brother was an only child

7. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Was and still is. Right now he's helping me re-do my coupe.(actually I'm helping him)
    We are in the middle of putting in a new front end, muncie 4-speed, steering column w/vega box and re-installing the rebuilt motor. (when we get it back)

8. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Yup, as far as cars go he was (is). He's the guy that bought a "welder" from the back page of a comic book and we (he) built a recumbant bicycle in the mid 60's with it. He's the kind of guy that will just jump in and DO IT! He bought all the car mags when we were young, he's three years older than me which isn't much now but when I was 10 he was 13 and buying car mags. Even to this day with his health problems he's building and inventing thing, there's nothing he won't try and always is successful. I hope to be like him when i grow up. About 5-6 yrs ago he moved 900 miles away so now I have to figger out stuff on my own.:confused: When i have a problem I say to myself, what would Tony do?

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have 2 big brothers who were my heros when I was a chavalito but now they are old farts to me (one is 64 and one is 63 and I am 48) but my brother that's 63 was the closest to a real life "Fonz". Cool, could fight guys twice his size, and had girlfriends all over town. But like I said, he's just a old fart now.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

I had 2. Both are gone. Both were in Koera when I was in high school.

11. Deuces

Deuces

I never had a big brother..... But I know he's watching every move I make... :rolleyes::eek:;)

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Nope, but big brother was caught driving a stolen car when he was 15. My Dad beat the crap out of him and threw him out of the house. He ended up living with my Aunt in another town. He was kicked out of college, then kicked out of the Navy. Nothing to admire there.

13. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

I don't think I was a hero to my kid brother. How many people would wrestle their brothers to the ground and fart on them? Or was that just me? What about pushing them down a hill in a go-kart, promising to stop in time , but instead just letting go? Nothing like brotherly love. Today I realize that my little brother is the coolest Kat on the planet.

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yep, He was "Just Steve" here on the HAMB, was a great dad, and family man, really a self-less good natured person and I really admire the career path he took in automotive journalism. Unfortunately cancer and MS took his life. Its been several years, but I think about him most everyday, and now I have some of his "stuff" in my shop which give me continual reminders of him as well.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No genuine older brother but the gent I refer to as my "big brother" hauled me around in his custom 55 Ford when I was 15 and a sophomore in high school and he still has cool cars. His mom and dad even treated me like one of their own and treated my kids like grandkids rather than frineds kids.

16. Boy you sure don't know my older brother. I will say this, he sure did show what not to do, he learned the hard way and I learned from his mistakes.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  17. Wow! I thinkm we all had the same brother, havent talked to mine in twenty years. ... and that time was just to reafirm he was still a tird

18. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

YES I most of what I know I learned from him he got me goin on cars gone 3 yrs now sure miss him he could figure out anything! taught me lead work, hammer welding all the important stuff and always said it all matter s education is some no one can ever take from ya! and you will always have

19. He's not my hero but he is my best friend and has been all our lives.

Lee

20. saxet

saxet
    from Texas

My hero? The rascal was into every kind of mischief, and then he would confess... that it was me!

He got a '46 Ford, and invited me to ride with him to (high school) band practice. On the way he showed off how it would dig out on deep gravel. Then tried the same in reverse ... full throttle. We limped on to the school house in the only gear that was left... third.

Once home, he told Dad I had been playing 'car' while waiting on the parking lot, and got it in two gears. (He didn't tell it in front of me, of course.) I didn't know until Dad accused me years later.

Anyone want to trade brothers?

21. Naw, but he sure was my best and closest friend - I was fortunate to have a lot of heros in my life!

22. synchro7

synchro7

No, because I'm the big brother. I don't think I'm a hero to either one of my younger brothers. (OLD HEMI, and hemi46 on the HAMB). We've been been best friends to each other for years. We learn from each other.
    Tom

23. Nope, no big brother - my Dad was my hero. Still is, I just unfortunately don't get the chance to tell him face to face anymore.

24. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Yes and a hero to others also. He was punched and shot for helping people on different occasions. He was given a valor award from Uncle Sam for the latter.
    As far as cars go, he built a nice '49 Ford and '63 Cobra models among others. We "tuned up" Dad's '57 Ford and broke a plug off. Good thing we had seven more. We "shared" my '62 Chrysler Newport wagon when he was a poor college student and I worked at a service station. I think he still owes me for gas...
    He never had cool cars (VW,Vega?) but I remember his college friend bringing him home in a Goat with buckets and the first factory Hurst shifter I had seen.
    RIP Bob...

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

HELL NO! Mine and his friends picked on me all the time. He was a real asshole.

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I had an older brother but my hero was my brother-in-law Tom.
    He passed away back in '99, was married to my oldest sister Bonnie.
    Check out the enclosed picture of Tom, Bonnie, and his '40 Chevy Coupe.
    The picture was taken back in 1952.

Attached Files:

27. al bundy

al bundy
    from bay area

28. harp

harp

yeah, when it came to cars, he did alot, check out my memorial to him "just lost my brother today"