Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'd say you nailed it James D!

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Those Plymouths look so great as a tail dragger!!

3. toucan

toucan
    from sc

james d you make anything possible!

4. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

What to do with a pregnant elephant... the 1950 Packard. These cars are gargantuan in every direction. They have "presence."

I decided to customize in the fashion of coachbuilders Derham, of Rosemont, Pa. Derham built cars for a conservative Philadelphia clientele. Unlike many of the classic era coachbuilders who folded during the Depression, Derham managed to stay afloat though the fifties by customizing production bodies.

I lowered the roofline a bit, keeping the sweeping angle of the A-posts in front and angling the rear roof 5 degrees for some visual balance.
    Extended the front door break back to meet the rear.
    Lowered the car with just a bit more drop in the rear.
    Removed rear vent windows and door handles, but left the rest of the chromium intact to keep the Packard personality.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    50Packorig by DaveTartaglia, on Flickr

After:
    [​IMG]
    50Pack06 by DaveTartaglia, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

The rear slope of the roofline is still kinda "humpy". I wonder if you could make it more like a GM fastback without totally sacrificing rear-seat headroom.

-Dave

6. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

In the immortal words of Marty Feldman (Igor), "What Hump?"

I wanted to keep the Packard look, so I just chopped a bit and re-contoured the roof.

Compared to the '48 Cadillac Sedanette (fastback), the '50 Packard had a higher body line and a shorter rear overhang, so a long sweeping roofline would look awkward, I think.

The 1946 Packard Clipper line, on the other hand, looked superb with the stock fastback. In fact, maybe my favorite custom of all time is the Richard Ratty Clipper built by Doug Thompson.

Attached Files:

7. Silverado85

Silverado85

Just got this new 1938 5w Coupe Today. Don't want to move too fast but anyone got any ideas for a Chevy small Coupe? Taildragger style?

[​IMG]

8. Because I can

Because I can

On my '54 Hudson, been thinking about eventually angle chopping the roof 3" in front and whatever it takes to blend the roofline in the rear, also angle sectioning the body just above the mid-body line 0" at the front to 3 to 4" at the rear, making it a 2-door slanted post and also bagged on the ground . . . . anyone want to give it a try? I have but I screw it up every time!

Thanks . . . Scott

The way the car looks now

54%20Hudson%20Hornet%20(2).jpg

my 1st attempt at photoshop

54%20Hudson%20Hornet%20(3).jpg

how the car looks now

cruise2CFW.jpg

just throwing this one in as a bonus! lol

205974_171334669603407_100001806243475_342674_5851002_n.jpg

9. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Hey Scott,
    I really wasn't too sure about this one, because I think the step-down Hudsons looked great right from the factory.
    In fact, I believe that the four door models actually looked better than than the two-doors!
    The roofline, window arches and posts remind me of graceful bridge architecture.

I used a photo of a 1953 because I couldn't find a decent side shot of a '54 like yours. Hope you don't mind.

Digital sawzall in hand, I went to work. And the results surprised me.
    I did the angled sectioning above the chrome line first.
    Then brought the top down and re-angled it.
    Lastly, dropped the already low car down till it looked right.
    I left it as a four-door, though.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    53Hud00 by DaveTartaglia, on Flickr
    After:
    [​IMG]
    53Hud05 by DaveTartaglia, on Flickr

10. I often thought that this is exactly what these cars need, because of the odd descending swage line on the side that diverges from the body line towards the back. I never mention it, as I figure nobody would actually want to bother goingto so much trouble, and it isn´t even that obvoius on your 54, but hey, if you´re up for the work....

This is more like a 0" to 2" section at the back, and a mild chop. It´s a total hack, but you´re only interested to see the proportions, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

JamesD - I see you solved the 4-to-2 door dilemma.
    After I chopped and retained the Hudson 4-door proportions, I played with a 2-door version, but realized the whole roofline would need a redesign.

Looks like you angled the roof, then pushed the rear roofline forward into the increased slope. Nice resolution!

12. Because I can

Because I can

Very cool, thanks! Yea, I personally like the lines of the 4-door better than the two door, but wished they had blended the rear window more.

The lines on a '53 to a '54 are a bit different, but I get the picture. Bitchin chop!

13. Because I can

Because I can

Awesome! Great work! This is what I was looking for!!!! I've always pictures this if I cut the car up . . . . my son would kill me but maybe when he sees this pic he'll back off . . . . Thanks again, Scott

14. Ok, Here's a challenge to say, I know its not all that pretty, but its suppose to have some history..any guys with less shakes then me that can draw a straight line.. Thanks for the help
    [​IMG]

ok, nice start..I like it
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    any other pro's?..scallops?flames , sparklie?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  15. You could get very similar results without the section. Just doing the rest of it would be enough work, I´d have imagined!

16. Btrsweet

Btrsweet
    BANNED

17. teufelhund

teufelhund

Thank you! I like it. I like that you left the chrome. I want people to know its an olds rocket 88. Thank you again! One more thing could you slam it? Only if it isn't to much work!

18. Not sure what color would look sweet on the side on this old heap" any help would be great
    Daddyos

Sorry about the crappy Pics

Attached Files:

19. Btrsweet

Btrsweet
    BANNED

here it is lower

[​IMG]

20. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Tangerine fade.
    [​IMG]

21. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

i know this is quite off-topic, but the car made me wonder why does it look too wrong, and i tried to 'fix' it, with my limited design knowledge

Attached Files:

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a definite improvement.

23. Btrsweet

Btrsweet
    BANNED

I think I found the problem....

[​IMG]

24. They look wrong because they try to mimic an old car, but have the forward leaning wedge shape of a modern car. Take out a wedge section and that would be at least a start.

25. Ah, the problem was psychedelic drugs all along. So obvious now you say it. :D

26. Thus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though it isn´t much of an improvement TBH.

27. Btrsweet

Btrsweet
    BANNED

I like this look better.

[​IMG]

28. LOL! Looks like there's been an earthquake! You better evacuate the area. (Maybe more of a "mirthquake" in this instance. :rolleyes:)

OK. Coffee break's over you guys. Now quit screwin' around and get back to work! :D

29. Zykotec

Zykotec

Thought I'd give it a try. Remodeled the front end a bit,molded in the headlights, extended the fenders at the top/middle a little to cover the wheels more (and to look less square)
    and threw on it some showrod style paint. Hemi is optional, but some chrome would lighten up that engine :p
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

30. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Zykotec - It's Showtime! - Nice rework & paint job.