Register now to get rid of these ads!

kentucky now requiring registration on trailers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Mar 20, 2012.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

yep...that is what i just heard from a close friend of mine. he said two people he works with got pulled over today for pullling a trailer that was not tagged. wth....is todays society so bad that they have to nickel and dime every last thing weve got? America is slowy becoming the "land of the Taxed" so tired of bs from our congress. especially these darn gas prices.

well has anyone else from kentucky heard anything like this.? i heard june 1st is the start date but apparently some butt hole cops jumped the gun.:mad:

2. Colorado is the same way. I moved here from MT and trailers get permanent plates there. I just left them on there and didn't tag in in CO. I'll just play dumb if I get pulled over. On top of all that all my vehicles are paid for and you have to pay an ownership tax at every registration. We get taxed to death here and the gov't still doesn't have any money for anything. Thing is if we handled our money like the gov't handles it we'd be doing time. Yep friend it's getting ridiciulous.

3. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We've had this for years here in Maine.

4. chopo

chopo

yep pa same thing old hat registration on even your cat now in my township

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

They started that in Connecticut in the 1930's WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD!

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

California has had it for decades. They just recently issued lifetime plates. In the old days, people who didn't want to pay registration on their vehicles were using their trailer tags instead. Now, with the lifetime plates, they can't do that.

7. For selfish reasons I hope they do...:eek: Maybe my STOLEN car trailer will show up in KY, where we believe it went :mad:

(1995 Special Carriers 18ft dovetail,white, black floor, sunken chain boxes, tongue storage box, back-up lights,aluminum check-plate trim, round side marker lights, electric tongue jack, painted 90's Chevy truck "SS" wheels-like SS454, but not chrome)

I have the serial number memorized. :mad: I hate thieves. :mad:

8. rebstew187

rebstew187

They passed that law last year or maybe before. Most don't enforce it. I'm still running without a tag. I know it will be only a matter of time before they get on me though.

9. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Try living in Canada, we pay tax on everything, soon were going to have a fart tax!

10. rebstew187

rebstew187

Same way here in Ky. We pay tax every year to get our tags. Ohio pays when you transfer it and that's it. I'm right on the Ohio River on the Ky side. I often wonder why I don't try to get an Ohio mailing address and ditch the Ky politics.

11. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I sold an open car trailer to a guy in KY. When I offered up the title he passed and said just give me a bill of sale. Bet he will be looking for me now.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just what happens when you drive out of state without trailer plates? :confused:

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm suprised that California hasn't stopped the lifetime trailer plate thing and started charging again. those bastards will suck the money right out of your paycheck or tax return if you let your registration lapse without a certificate of non operation.

14. 51delivery

51delivery

Michigan has switched to a permanent plate that cost 75.00. We had to pay each year before.

15. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

You can get Maine tags.You go thru a broker.They are cheaper than most states.Most of my friends here in Md. are running.They will send them to you I think 5 years are around $120.00
    Here is a link my buddy sent me... http://staabagency.com/

Steve

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

No registration on trailers in Kentucky, I thought that was a joke.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

TX trailer plates were about $15 for car hauler type trailers and smaller but so many people were buying one plate and using it on numerous trailers that the state changed the fee to better than double that in one year.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Trailers in Florida have no title but do have to have a license plate that you renew every year. Been that way as long as I can remember.

Every State Government is looking for additional sources of revenue, so I suspect in the next few years we are going to see lots of things that are free now no longer that way. Our license plates have doubled or worse in the past few years down here.

Don

19. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

You get stopped by the police...HOWEVER the one guy that I stopped (outta one of the Carolinas...I dont recall) knew this and had all of his ownership paperwork on hand, an explaination (IE the law from his state) and I looked it up online....he was right and he went on his way after a trailer VIN check....no reason to sweat it if your legal for your area (just be prepaired like he was). The law may be different from state to state however if that is your law and we can prove it....no worries

20. rebstew187

rebstew187

Around here no one is enforcing it. Almost weekly through the summer we hit Edgewater Drag Strip in Ohio. Most of the guys trailer their cars. None of them have tags and we pass cop after cop. We just came back a few weeks ago with my, new to me 54 on a trailer from down in Ky. No tag. Like I said it's been on the books for a while. Either the cops don't care or don't know.

21. k9racer

k9racer

Until 2010 newer built 75 up trailer in Ala needed a title.. because of some many home made trailers the droped the title on 75 up trailers.. Now all the state of alabama wants is a tag on all trailers.. Bill of sale is good. Farm equipment is exempt. I have a tag for a enclosed trailer.. One tag I switch between 3 open car trailers and a tag for 2 wheel trailer that I swap between 6 other trailers. You can only tow one at a time. As far as boat trailers they do not need a tag but the boat must be current on taxes. It also gives the law another reason to make contacts ie searches.

22. Buzzman72

Buzzman72

Here in Indiana--Land of Taxes--we've had trailer licensing and registration laws all MY life [I'm 57]. Being in one of the southernmost counties, we've always seen our share of trailers with no tags, and most are being pulled by cars or trucks from Kentucky.

Of course, KY was one of the last states to require titles on cars, too. Made it a beeyotch sometimes to buy a car and bring it to Indiana. One of my high school buddies bought a nice '57 Chevy in KY back in '72, and he never was able to get that sucker titled and registered in Indiana. I think he finally sold it to someone else in KY.

Nice to see that KY is entering the 20th century...10+ years into the 21st century.

23. I can't believe california has permanent trailer plates, just when i was truly convinced that everything about the cal. dmv system was a fucking cesspool i stand corrected "ALMOST EVERTHING"!

24. jazz1

jazz1

They got that in Ontario and you got to carry registratiion with you,,cop wanted to see my registration for boat trailer last year...I actually had to go and get both my trailers registered and buy plates,,had to quit using the trailer plates boy found at the boat launch...this has been law here forever,,they just seemed to start enforcing up in the far north recently

25. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

I have to have plates on my business trailers, but have never had them on my small trailers. Maybe need to check that out today at the courthouse.

26. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

kentucky has for a long time had registration(titles) for trailers, most people dont register them because kentucky taxes the crap out of everyone with a 'property tax" meaning whne you but a vehicle you pay taxes on it and every year after you pay a 'property tax' on it, so most choose not to register them, i don think its really enforced unless you get stopped by the DOT or travel out of state...but if you walk in to your court house(dmv) and ask the lil lady behind the counter if you have to register it she will say yes as that is income for the state!

and also...kentucky has not been a bill of sale state for about 30 years.

27. Degenerate

Degenerate
    from Indiana

I was in a bar last week in Bullit county KY and met a girl with most of her teef, shoes and no baby bump. I thought things were really coming along in KY then I found out she was from Indiana.

28. rebstew187

rebstew187

You should have known what state your 13 year old cousin lives in. When's the wedding? By the way if ya want to get that grille fixed there are some fine dentist in Ky that can fix her tee(f) :D

29. storm king

storm king

Well no duh, northeasterners! That's why I moved out of N.Y.! In Kentucky, we have constitutional carry, meaning we can carry a gun (exposed) with no permit, no nothing. (concealed requires a permit) It's called "freedom", and "liberty". I know its mostly bred out of the 13 original colonies....
    Real world indeed. There's not much of it left, and its been missing from up there for a very, very , long time.

30. jazz1

jazz1

Is Kentucky's "property tax" unique to the state. I know when I hauled south of the border each state did seem to have it's own tax laws,,as I recall I stocked up with liquor in Missouri ..A property tax such as Kentuckys' is an excellent way to raise cash in a densely populated state such as New York...just sayin'