Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front License Plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steelwoolghandi, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Its so you can be ID'd coming or going.

2. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

i think every state has differnt laws , and the same for its officers, some go by the book and some are laid back , utah requires both plates , a lot of us dont run them , ive notice some of the guys placing them behind their grill between rad and insert , some have them mounted laying flat under there spreader bar , its just the attitude of the law , you win some you taze some !

3. You from Bastrop, Texas? If so, move to New Braunfels. The cops don't mess with rodders here unless you're driving like somebody from Bastrop;o)

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

A guy I know had his 1934 Ohio model year plates on his 34 sedan. Perfectly legal in Ohio.

He went down to kentucky for either bowling green or another show, and some local yocal cop stopped him and threatened to tow car if he didnt switch to his historical plates, on the spot.

Said he didnt care what was allowed in Ohio.....

He swapped plates to avoid more hassle, but politely said if its legal in Ohio, its legal for Ohio car in every state..

Cop didnt care.

Cop was dead wrong. Period.

Ohio requires 2 plates on daily drivers. PA requires only one. So every Pa car crossing into Ohio should be made to follow our law?? No

Just a license plate law story...

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

So, you knowingly break the law and that makes the cop a "dick"? Then what does that make you? Hundreds of thousands of people obey the law, what makes you so special?

6. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Cool story.....

7. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Thanks, My brother was my hero. I got out of convertables after that and got hot rodding , now have 32 sedan. With no front plate, don't need them in Oklahoma.

8. Mercchev

Mercchev

Just carry a dozen donuts with you and throw them out when they flip a u-turn to catch you...They'll fall all over themselves trying to get free breakfast...

9. So, you knowingly break the law and that makes the cop a "dick"? Then what does that make you? Hundreds of thousands of people obey the law, what makes you so special?....................COP WAS A DICK!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost every time I ran the 48 without the front plate I got pulled over by a Washington State Patrolman. Most of the local city/town officers didn't seem to care about it but it was a big deal to the WSP.

I go on a lot of boards because I have a wide interest in things automotive and the issue of no front plate isn't just a hotrod or custom car issue. The exotic car guys with their Ferrari's and Lambos get nailed probably more than we do.
    I can run a "collector plate" that is rear plate only on the 48 and be good but that still might limit when and where I can drive it if someone wants to get picky.

It's been suggested that in this state we push for a special plate that is designated as a "no front plate" plate and carries a fee similar to the personalized and other special plates such as the UW or WSU or Fire Fighter plates. Pay an extra fee, get a plate that is a rear plate only with no limitations on when and where you can drive and be done with it.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Alberta has no front plate rule, we run only rear plates. We regularly cross into the US and have never had an issue at the border or anywhere else down south with having no front plate.

All the guys talking about the newer OT vehicles that have no front plate mounting location, that is just not true. Every vehicle manufacturer has available (and usually ships with a vehicle when it's bound for a place where front plates are required) a front licence plate bracket.

The dealers install them, but if you have a vehicle (like the new Challenger mentioned) that does not have it, you can go to the dealer and order the bracket you need. No place to mount one is NOT an excuse for newer vehicles.

As for not running a front plate on most hot rods I will totally agree with that one, I would not run one even if they told me to :)

12. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

Im in Dallas and never run a front tag, dont even run a legal rear tag.

Attached Files:

13. I've run a regular tag on the back and a year of manufacture Texas tag on the front of both my Model A and my '51 and never had a problem. I do carry the correct front plate under the seat just in case.

I've noticed a few people that have mounted their front tag on the passenger side inside sunvisor. It can easily be flipped down if necessary and is visible through the windshield.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Kansas runs one tag but if you run a tag on the front that is not registered your brakeing the law. IE you put a 1980 tag on the front of a 80 corvette, you can register an old tag on a car 35 years or older.

15. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

The real reason is that Cal is desperate for your dollars. I know from personal experience that the camera doesn't care if you don't have a front plate. The camera takes pics of both ends.

16. We were required to run a front license plates in South Carolina when I was in high school,,,we don't need one now.HRP

17. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

In California that ticket is $170+, and the cops are using these types of tickets to make the state lots of money. I drive my roadster alot and do not need to give the cops a reason to pull me over so I run one.

Rex

18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

No front plate is a $100.00 fine here in Missouri. I've never had trouble with local police. Once, in one of my roadsters I was pulled out of a group of regular cars at speed on I-44. I asked the Highway Patrolman what I did and he said no front plate. I laughed and he stated that it was a $100.00 fine. He let me off but told me to take care of it which I did. He stated that there was a big push on concerning the plates. I would guess that they are working on installing traffic(speed) cameras along the major roads. You'll get a picture of your car with a displayed speed and a ticket in the mail. Anyway, I've been driving rods for 20 years and this just happened within the last two years. Be Advised. Sam

19. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

21. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

"You knowlingly break the law"

Dude please...................Really? Who cares if I dont want to drill holes in the front of my car and run a plate.

Well I guess you and this guy.

Attached Files:

22. None of my cars have front plates on them, and I've never been stopped for lack of plates. I expect with all the red light cameras, they might start enforcing it some day soon. I just keep them hung up in the garage. I only have a mount ready for one of my cars. The rest will take an effort to build something if/when they start enforcing the law.

23. mj40's

mj40's

In Idaho if you run a Classic plate or a antique plate, the street rod plate or the stated year plate you only have to run one in the rear. All others require two.

24. slamnfreak

slamnfreak
    from Washington

Yep...vehicles with YOM plates in Idaho only have to run a rear plate. However, I was lucky enough to find a matched set of plates with the keychain plate for my bug. Right now, I've got an old Shriners plate on the front.

25. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

No problems here, been running w/o front plate on the 53 since I've had it.

26. oldschool55

oldschool55

Never had a problem with only one plate, but just in case I have the front one mounted on a hinge to fip up out of sight or down if I get stopped.

27. Old Dude

Old Dude

If you drive it everyday, and not just to Cruise Ins & Vehicle Shows, you must have a front Tag. I Fabricated one for my '39 Chevy. as well as for my '31 Ford Model A Coupe. I didn't like putting a Tag in front of Radiator on Model A. Some small town Police Officers will pull you over, as they don't know the Rules. The '47 Ford Pk. Up, looks like one I sold a few years back, with a '52 Flatty in it.

28. RatPin

RatPin

I've been ticketed for no front plate multiple times over the years here in Oregon. It's always been a fix it ticket and I was never fined, just had to show up to court and show a zip tied or velcro'd plate to some desk jockey.

I've kept front plates on my daily driver vehicles for the last 5 years now to avoid the hassle (I work nights and getting up early to go to court is a PIMA).

I have not had a front plate on our convertable vw for 8 years without a problem. My current project has a recess with bolt slots in it for a plate so once it's road worthy I will most likely run a old front plate on it.

29. jimbousman

jimbousman

I live in Wisconsin. Yes, we are suposed to have front an rear plates. I've haven't run a front plate on at least 12 out of the 30 cars I've owned. In fact my wife just bought her second Mini Cooper. the dealer didn't even put the front plate bracket on. And yes, we could get stopped at any time for no front plate. If fact I did once. It was back in 1972 in Shorewood, Wi. Must have been a slow day. Frankly it doesn't keep me up at night.