Register now to get rid of these ads!

damn you muphy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconsprint63, Mar 11, 2012.

1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

just a little rant. no real point just wanted to share my frustration. spent the weekend working on the tranny swap in the old delivery. pulled the 4 speed and swapping it for a t-5. murphy was in the house.

first had to drive 3 hours to my dad's place where the car is (I don't have a shop at my house that will accomodate this kind of work). as I pull in he informs me the air compressor just (like as I'm coming down the driveway) died. so we spend a while tinkering with it before abbandoning hope. and move on to the tranny.

get the adapter kit out and start putting it in and find out the allignment pins are missing--of to the hardware store to look for something that will work and then some fabrication. then I find out the flywheel bolts included are too long--finally manage to scrounge a set from the 50 drawers of old nuts and bolts (after a failed trip tot he auto parts store). go to put on the clutch kit I had set back for the project (a swapmeet score)--it's the wrong size. another trip to the parts house. then I find some points of concern--not issues yet, just points of concern with the adapter (have to call and check to make sure there's nothing to be concerned about on monday) so I end up skipping the clutch for now, just mountin it up for fitment and to build the new tranny mount.

duringt fabrication I destroy--not use, destroy the 3 cut off wheel I brought with me--another trip to the hardware store.

manage to crack the body filler (and thus the paint) in the firewall jacking up the tranny to level it. an then run out of time and materials to two bolt holes and a couple of weld from finishing the new mount.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR--this five speed better be worth it when I'm done! total elapsed time 2 days BTW.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Least it wasn't raining. Tomorrows a better day.

3. thats why the son a bitch wasnt around here Lol

4. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

True--it was a perfect weather weekend--good thing since I was outside:D

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

he was in my garage also. redoing brake lines on my service van, still not finished. using wifes suv for work tommorrow. were both not happy

6. Ruidoso

Ruidoso

who´s muphy? :confused:

7. punisher7

punisher7

Sounds like the daily workings in my garage! I spend more time going to get parts than I actually spend putting anything on.

8. moefuzz

moefuzz

"damn you muphy"

Somehow seems fitting

9. 35desoto

35desoto

yeah murphy follows me to work more times than what i like

10. Buy a SHIT HAPPENS T shirt ...LOL

11. he wasn't here... i figured he was walking in a parade.

12. Still better than Golf

13. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Hey, that's hot rodding. If it was easy everybody would be doing it. That's why they invented golf. No offense to those that play golf, I was just using that as an example.

14. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

15. "damn you muphy"

And then you keyboad boke. :p

16. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

An Irish fella i used to know but i think in this case it may refer to this...

<H1 id=firstHeading class=firstHeading>Murphy's law

<!-- /firstHeading --><!-- bodyContent --><!-- tagline --> "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".

</H1>

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

thanks for pointing that out too:rolleyes:

18. When you finish and you are not stopping for gas as often, Murphy will be just a distant memory. Gas goes any higher you'll wish you went with a 6 speed. Best of luck TR

19. Willy301

Willy301

Well, I have to say TR, you had a good day...because anything I laid back for a project would always cost me another trip because I would be unable to find it untill I had replaced it. However, I cannot complain this weekend, all went well in the shop and I was able to make some meager progress. Thankfully I was mostly welding some pieces in and drawing a design, so not much to misplace...

20. thanks there willy, I have a secret- see me and Murphy drink the same brand bourbon

21. Willy301

Willy301

LOL, so he shows up here drunk, and decides to play hide n seek with my parts...maybe I should start getting him liquored up and send him down the road!

22. this is the reason that I have to lie about every project I do. my wife gets pissed if a two hour project takes three but not if a four hour project takes three, sooo I double or more the time I think it will take me and the wife is happy. She is super excited when I finish my one hour oil change on her car in fifteen minutes. Think she will ever catch on. I hope not because sometimes I really need that extra time.

23. ROFLMAO you made my day. was sulking til I read it the third time, still laughing!!!

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

whenever I tell her how long it will be she replies "times 2 plus an hour."

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He even has a lawyer
    [​IMG]
    Actually my boating mentor's boat that I learned most of my cruising skills on.

Last week on the way home I broke the bolts holding the powersteering pump on my 71 GMC. Ok, no biggie, drill and take an easy out and get them out, go to the machine shop pick up some grade 8's and be in business. Things were going good until I broke a drill bit off and the usual methods wouldn't work getting it out.
    Since the thing had already been switched over to a long water pump and I didn't have the brackets for a long pump it was off to the Auto Bone Yard for a bracket. Home with the bracket and no pump I had would work with that bracket so back to the Auto Bone Yard for the proper pump to go with the bracket and 32.00 later I am home hooking things up and figuring out that the pressure hose isn't going to fit nor is the old return hose long enough so it's off to town this morning with more cash in hand.

26. Who has Murphy now? Y'all may have been safe this morning . He was here when a special spring clip fell to the floor that I could not find no matter how hard I looked. Lost a whole morning trying to find one, ended up pulling one out at an auto wrecker. I get home and the first thing that catches my eye is the original clip on the floor.....

27. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope those flywheel bolts you found in those 50 drawers of old nuts and bolts were good ones, and not just plain bolts......

28. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

they were legit flywheel bolts. talked with the adapter folks--they're sending the right ones.