Register now to get rid of these ads!

Accident: My 1939 Ford Std. Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Mar 19, 2012.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Hey guys thanks for your comments and info, so far.....
    Yes... she had insurance, I'll be picking up the accident report tomorrow, then I can get the "Lo-down" on her. My Ins. Co. did send an adjuster today and he took photos. He said he would send them out to my company tomorrow. I just found out about the "No-Fault", it's true (In Florida). I'm waiting to see what her insurance co. adjuster has to say, when he notifies me to look at the car.
    It's getting to be pretty close to "Lawyer-Time!"

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeze, I'm there with you friend! I was hit in pretty much the identical way Sunday a week ago.

Looks like I got off with less then your damage, but still a pain no matter what...............

Best of luck to both of us!

3. redroaddog

redroaddog

i was thru this 2 years ago in oregon. just finished. the medical and the car damage are settled on their own claims. our state is no fault also. get a lawyer no matter what and don't settle the medical right away. also it doesn't matter what u insured it for they owe for damages u just prove what the car is really worth...pm me if u want anymore info...Dave

4. Al, real sorry brother, just glad you are OK. Any way I can help, I'm just up the road. Be careful with these local fuckin yokal shops, they ALL can fix it, yea right. Only let someone touch it that you have seen thier work or some references.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

What if you were un-insured!
    Would the other driver still be totally liable for damages [ being totally at fault ]
    I wouldn't even talk to my insurance in this case!

Get a lawyer to go after the driver, then her insurance will cover her

6. richie rebel

richie rebel

man,that sucks a big one,hope every thing works out for you.........

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The Florida motto is Sit Low and Drive Slow unless you are a teenager and in that case the bumper sticker reads don't text when driving or you will be God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another message from Florida better known as God's Waiting Room.

Jimbo

8. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

A freind of mine only recently had his 62 chevy totaled the same way.
    The problem here also is so bad that I won't be surprised that eventually they will ban phones in cars.
    Glad your okay, hope you have a good outcome getting your car fixed, as for the dumb lump of flesh that hit you, she should be taken off the road, has no business being in control of a motor vehicle.

9. Al, I started a thread over on the Smith and Wesson site, you have a lot of veterans pulling for you buddy, :D TR

10. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Glad that you are OK. The car can be fixed. You have just got to be sick about the whole deal.This talking on Cell Phones and sending Text messages while trying to drive is beyond dangerous. What I have found to be true is Insurance is as good as your agent and how hard he wants to fight to help you. It sounds like your Ins.Co is on the hook for the $15K in total but what I can not understand is why your Ins group has to pay period. She ran into you and it seems her Ins should be on the hook. My suggestion to you would be that if her Ins group hesitates in the least to go find you the nastiest bottom feeding Law Firm you can dig up and tell them to get after it. Here in Oklahoma Law Firms run ads on billboards claiming that " We know what to do" and to let them be the judge as to how bad your injury is, as in"you may be hurt worse than you think". Yes I agree that you should not have to go through this kind of S--- to get put back to the shape you were in before she ran into you but IMO the Insurance Companies have brought this on themselves with their patented Chicken S--- ways. Good Luck.

11. I saw the new querter panels just the other day there sweet. he is having a complete steel 40 built by local shops there a notch up from some of the past stuff.:eek:

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Break out the "For Sale" ads in Hemmings, and any hot rod magazine or website for comparable cars. This your ammunition for a "replacement" car AND keep your car for spare parts, they don't want it anyway. If you were offered a ludicrously low total or repair value that is what you should pay them for your wrecked vehicle. Keep all paperwork!
    A decade or so ago a friend of mine had a 38 Chevy Sedan get hit and they wanted to total it for $450 which was the average of three bids, one for $900, one for $450, one for $zero(the 3rd shop wouldn't even bid the job!) The ads and potential for high repair cost and legal expenses got him $12500. He paid them $450 for his wreck because that was what they offered him to begin with and got a nice replacement for his sedan. They also paid for all his and his wife's medical bills and treatment for a couple years.

13. 46stude

46stude

So if you plan to "lawyer up", I'd suggest no more open talk on a public internet forum.

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Listen to the guys on here who have "been there,done that" This sucks and will take some time however I would bet that in the end your car will be even better. Things have a way of working out.

15. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Florida="no fault"=lawyer (can you say ambulance chaser)=don't say anything except to your lawyer=nothing more on a public forum.

16. Definately call a lawyer and hush, hush.

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I had a minor bender (parking lot bump and run) on my 37 sedan. Luckily, the fellow who painted my car is a rodder that also heads a family based 9-5 collision shop that is well vested in the insurance / repair biz. His estimate was the only one I needed and taken for gospel by my insurance co. without question. So as mentioned above, get a good estimate by a rod shop or repair shop that really knows rods and the insurance biz, too. Gary

18. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

you should be able to work with her insurance adjuster; without bringing your own company in. If you can reach a settlement on a total loss, let her adjuster know you`d like to keep the salvage.

Remember, If you bring in an attorney, they keep anywhere from 30 to 50 % of what they collect from the other carrier. you`re better off trying to settle by yourself.

If you can`t agree on a settlement with her carrier, let your company settle the claim...They then have the right of subrogation...They`ll go back on the girl [Her ins. co.] that hit you, to recover what they paid out on your claim..

No-fault insurance only applies to personal injury. That means your company will pay your med bills up to the policy limit...and her co. will pay her medical bills up to her policy limit. no matter who is at fault, the medical provider still gets paid. In most states, you must breach a dollar threshold to be entitled "damages" ; which is medical treatment + pain and suffering...That`s what the TV lawyers are looking for; big bucks.

This all gets thrown out the window when the police report indicates she was less than 100% liable.

Try to settle before you hire an attorney..

Good Luck!!!

Tom T

19. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Anyone have any parts for my car?
    L&R Front Fenders
    Right Rear Fender
    Grille (38' Deluxe or 39' Standard)
    ****I'd install a
    (Complete) front clip from 39'
    Deluxe or 40' Standard, If it will fit.
    ****Seems that my Insurance company wants the body shop to bang out and fill the fenders, grille, rear body panel and anything else damaged, including the frame!
    >>>>>That sucks!

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow, What insurance company do you have?

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nobody related to someone in political office has been killed yet. In the USA, we like to have MAJOR drama before we pass "no shit" laws.

22. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

STOP TALKING TO YOUR OR HER INSURANCE COMPANY AND GET A LAWYER NOW.

Everyone seems to hate lawyers until they need one. YOU NEED ONE. Everything you say to either company on the phone or in person is being recorded. Everything you say here is being looked at or will be looked at. Lawyer up and shut up. That is what they are for.

I hope it all goes well but be smart and get the lawyer tomorrow.

23. Fortress

Fortress

Reckless driving is reckless driving, we don't need a law banning specific activity. We certainly don't need an unconstitutional federal law.

24. hate to see your car messed up, the problem with the ins company is that they dont understand custom cars. I have fixed a couple of ins claims on customs and they had no clue what went into fixing them. most ins companys use an independemt apraisor to write a guestimate. good luck ....looking at the pictures most of that sheet metal would straighten

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Sorry to hear this. Same thing happened to me in my pickup. 16 year old girl admitted that she was "texting" and rear-ended me. She "didn't see me". Totaled my 2002 GMC pickup. This incident made me give up riding my motorcycle too. If she didn't see a full-size pickup with it's brake lights on, no way in hell would she have seen a motorcycle. No thanks, too many idiots out on the roads. Stay alert at all times, folks!

26. Sorry to hear that your car is trashed from some stupid driver that doesn't know how to use a hands free device. I don't have any great information for you on legal advice or where to get the car repaired.

I do however have some information on insurance companies that will help you and maybe others here. Since you are a military veteran, you are in titled to USAA insurance. USAA has an off shoot company for their classic, antique car insurance called American Collectors. I am sure that anyone can get their insurance protection but as a veteran you can go through USAA and get better rates. I pay $145.00 a year for full coverage up to the $10,000.00 that I paid for the car. When I get things more complete, I will send them new pictures and have one of their inspectors come out and appraise the car so they will increase the value. The company is great so far since they work through USAA.

27. kwolf

kwolf

I'm in California.
    My wife got hit in the rear of our VW, stopped for traffic... Dealt with USAA ins, at least one of them is a lying sob...

Long story short, next time I'll fix the car and take the car owner to small claims court, with the bill... Let them deal with their insurance co... Course it's all different in other states...

I have agreed value ins. on the A-V8
    Karl

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  28. I feel your pain. My 28 RPU got tapped in the ass late last fall. Maybe 3 grand or so. Nothing like yours thou. Nice car to. We have no fault here and every car is insured for a max of 50 grand. Anything more than that you have to get extra insurance. Talking on cells while driving here is illegal and a 2-3 hundred dollar fine and i think demerits on your license as well. Cops in plain clothes walking the beat will get you here. are really clamping down on that.
    Being a collision guy, your car is very repairable thou. Just going to hard to find a rear clip.

29. dtelker

dtelker
    from Indy

Even if it is a no fault state, hire a lawyer and go after her insurance company for repairs. If you go after your own, they will total it. Her company cannot total your car; it doesn't matter what it is insured for. Go after her's and they will have to repair or replace it in pre-accident condition. I've been in the body shop business for 15 years and have seen it before (in no-fault states and not). Again, her insurance company cannot total your car, regardless of what it is insured for. That number is if YOU wreck it, not someone else. Good luck, and praise God you weren't hurt! :)

30. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

The down side of them origianal little tiny as in invisible tail/brake lights. Seems like there is a few threads where guys got their shit ass packed due to less than stellar lighting. Consider some of them motor cycles you see with flashing or strobe type daytime head lights. Better rear light lums would be a start.