Register now to get rid of these ads!

Georgia junkyard scrappin out, time to jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ob1, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Ob1

Ob1

Caught wind of this and thought I'd share it...

"Just wanted to pass along some info on a junk yard that has just opened up due to a death in the ownership's family. This yard, which has been closed to the public for over 60 years, just opened a few weeks ago. The family has decided to sell everything. It is in Demorest GA, across the street from Advance Recycling.

It is on highway 115 between highway 384 and highway 105. They open at 1000 AM on Saturdays. I'm not sure about weekdays. I was able to find all the stainless trim I needed for my 49 Cab for a steal. They are pulling stuff out as fast as they can for crushing, but there are still alot of old trucks there. They are selling cars and trucks for the scrap value $400-$500. Parts are very reasonable.

Best way to see it on a map is go to Google Maps and search for Advance Recycling in Demorest, GA. The junk yard is across the highway from this recycling center. Feel free to pass this along to the group."

2. Ob1

Ob1

bump for the morning crew

3. how much is left there? I remember a 62 chevy that i wanted but wasn't for sale...this was about 7 years ago when i got to check it out
    someone wanna pick it up for me?

4. Jeff,

Shoot Stevie G a PM- maybe we can make a run for you?

5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Someone go and come back with some pics for us that are too far away! History like this need to be documented becuase stuff like this only happens rarely and once they are all gone they are gone!
    J

6. Klattu

Klattu

+1 Take some photos please

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

8. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

9. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

10. sir_ely

sir_ely

Gents if there a run in mind I am seeking 51 Plymouth coupe parts or parts car. Thank you.

11. yardgoat

yardgoat

Thats 122 mile from me ,just wondering if Advance recycling is going to clean it out real quick...........YG

12. i found this yard about 4 years ago on a mc ride did have pics of the cars and truck along the side of the road but god only knows where they are at, while in the area i talked to some local people and they said Advance recycling was owned by the son of the guy that had the yard said the guys kids were fighting over everything, but who knows i could have been miss informed......

13. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I stopped by there last fall but all I could see was a few cars in the trees by the side of the road and a bunch of scrap sheetmetal like washing machines and such. There was a nice piece of yard art across the road(36 Ford Pickup).

Are the cars buried in the woods away from the road?

14. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

The cars are long the road, in the woods, on both sides of GA 115. If you can think of it, its there. I'll try to get pics tomorrow since its only 8 miles from my house.

15. Here are some photos.
    What is left is really rough ,but there is still some stuff salvageable. I got some buick parts for my restoration.
    The guy that owned it was a wrecking guy just dumped his truck every night for 50 years and wouldn't sell nothing. Now the kids are selling the hot stuff and crushing the rest. What they are crushing is really poor stuff.
    Here are the photos. Make sure you find the little arrow as there are several pages.Click on a photo and it will get bigger.
    http://www.hotrodsonline.com/articles/jpJunkyard/index.html

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  16. TRuss

TRuss

This is great. I'll be sure to let the boys back home know about it.

17. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Thanks for posting the link to the pics. I was wondering if there was a reason the recycler was setup across the road.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a chainsaw and 4X4 with good winch and trailer

19. The amazing thing is that the yard is now just a fraction of what it was. It used to line both sides of the highway and it is now basically just one side and shrinking fast. There are stacks of bumpers and driveshafts and all those buses are full of junk. The 46 coupe looks fair from a distance but has been sitting on the ground for 40 years and you can't get close enough to look at it. The building is piled with junk and we are getting into snake season.
    I spent two days out there and wore my old butt out.

20. oltruckag

oltruckag

I wonder what the ford cabover would go for. It'd be a great foundation for a toy hauler. I've always wanted a C900.

21. The Ford cabover is fairly solid except for the hole punched in the front. It would be a pain to get to, but it can be bought at basically junk prices. Fortunately it is close to the road.

22. Going out there again next week looking for small stuff. My back hurts.

23. savannahDan

savannahDan

thats only 10 miles away, looks like I just made plans for saturday.

24. spankster

spankster

That '54 GMC with "Gainesville Ready Mix Concrete" on the door, would have had a inline GMC 302 in it, if it's still there. I'd love to have those "450" emblems off the hood. Note the over the windshield wiper motors, & Dayton wheels.

25. I will find out if the GMC is still there tomorrow.

26. cakes

cakes

well, its 300 miles from me, someone take some pics please

27. wbulick76

wbulick76

Would like to have the rear doors and some other stuff off the Flowers panel truck.

28. cdandelivery

cdandelivery

like to have the black viking 60 any idea if its still there? or the yellow one need a few things................Cdan

29. jreeder41

jreeder41

The Metropolitan in the first group of pics would have a lot of the parts we still need!