Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crashed into. Now getting it fixed. What if?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 17, 2012.

1. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

against the law in illinois to steer you to an "approved" repair shop as well.

2. b-bob

b-bob

I would try and find a shop with a proper Frame machine. the ones that you drive up on and has the proper posts and pulling equipment, and more important a bodyman that is old enough to know what needs to be done on an older car like this.
    That damage can be repaired properly, but he will need all the time it takes to do it right. With any luck, the body took the hit and the frame may be all right and the mounts may just be bent ahead. The sheet metal can be pulled back into shape, you just need a guy who is willing to take the time and knows where to pull it. I have seen much worse pulled back. best of luck with it.

3. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

You can have any shop do the work....but you might have to pay the difference between the shop they recommend and the one you choose. Now if you can prove their shop isn't qualified you might not have to pay the difference.

Keep your parts. Let the insurance company pay for finding replacement parts.

I like the idea of getting prices from restoration shops!

Go after them for diminished value...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679822&highlight=diminished+value

If the insurance gives you any static just call your state insurance board. I had to do that on a claim I had on an OT car. Someone from the insurance company called and bitched that I had called the insurance board. I told him if he didn't change his tone I was going to call them again. He settled down then and I got a very fair settlement.

If you don't think getting a fair settlement you should talk to a lawyer.

4. They can suggest THEIR shops in NY, with a lifetime guarantee and all that happy horse shit. I used a shop I had used before and they offer the same guarantee.

Bob

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I'm quickly finding out that reworking bent metal is truly a lost art. Maybe not extinct yet, but close........

I really don't want a bondo baby, but it seems that's the accepted practice today. I know of some magazine featured cars that are bondo buckets and they freely admit it...........

I don't have the talent, but I've always been amazed when I see guys heat shrinking metal back to shape and knowing just how to dolly out the wrinkles so that when it's painted, you can still stick a magnet anywhere in the damage zone. Has it truly become just interesting history?

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im definately following this one,Go to who you feel comfortable with....They just dont want to shell out the coin..Looks fixable though .Frame I dont think will be that much weaker...As soon as the frame straight ,Replace back bumper and cut rear pan out and install newer.Everything else can be mesaged

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The new improved bodyguys just slap on panels,,,Definately need an old schooler....

8. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks John! Yeah, it's fixable........ But trying to get it done right will be the trick.

This is still factory paint and latch and you can see a little bit of the original glue from the rubber smeared alongside it. I have a replacement latch, but no parts anywhere near as nice as what's original to the car. As far as a lower panel? The best metal to work with will probably be someone knowing what they are doing to bring this solid one back out. Needless to say, there's no way to get back what I had. And they can't make up for it............... Sucks, don't it?

Attached Files:

9. XXL__

XXL__

I am in the middle of this very problem. After having to file suit, GEICO finally acquiesced and accepted financial responsibility for their insured, who drove across solid white line and bashed in the right front corner of my hooptey, pushing me into the curb on left. First, they wanted to total the car... I had just spent more on new ball joints and front end alignment than they were offering (I was driving home from alignment shop when I was steamrolled). Then, they wanted to nickel and dime the estimate line items-- repair fender blah blah was estimated at 5.5 hours, they said it could be done in 4.0, etc. Then they deducted for "wear" on the curb damaged tire-- tread dept measured 10/32 (the tires have less than 100 miles on them). They deducted $35 for wear... even though the manufacturer spec says tire comes with 10/32 tread dept... GEICO's argument is that, since the tire wasn't brand new with sticker on it, it must have wear... hence the $35 deduction. Also, because crash manual doesn't go back far enough, they used 1973 model as basis for estimate, which 2 shops agreed was a ridiculous basis for paying a claim. Truck was in the shop until last Thursday, and metalwork has been done to my satisfaction (Frank De Rosa did the work), and now I am headed back to GEICO to argue about getting appropriate final settlement. I already got one check, and I cashed it... which, per CA regs, does NOT close the deal.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I find it hard to imagine that there aren't plenty of outfits down your way that could do a perfect job on your car ...on the frame and on the sheetmetal. I would check with some of the local hotrod / street rod clubs in the area to see if they can make some recommendations. There are usually a few club members that do this type of work. We have them in Maine..... there must be some in Maryland.

As far as the insurance company goes , at the risk of sounding synical, they are not on your side. When it comes to paying you , they want to pay the absolute least they can, however, if you know your rights and stand your ground you can get what you want and deserve. You have certain rights under state law when it comes to settlement of claims. I would suggest making a call to your state insurance commission and ask a few questions.

My wife totaled a one year old car a few years ago. My insurance company tried to low ball me on the settlement. I wasn't in a hurry to settle and told them so. But what really turned MET around was that I called the Maine Insurance Commission and spoke with ( what sounded like ) a little old lady. She gave me the knowledge about Main law that I needed. In the end the insurance company gave me more than I would have settled for.

You have the right to expect nothing less than what you had before the accident.

Good luck, John

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Theres a guy in here in pa.Named Bill Mcelroy he owns a shop and definately can fix it,He is in the philadelphia modifiers and would not do a hack job,Hes in bensalem

12. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks John! Even if I can't get to him, it's nice to know there are a few metal artists left out there.

I was at a shop earlier today and witnessed a chop in progress that was a thing of beauty. Wasn't a simple quickie, but a semi-complicated one done right.

So I'm not dismissing the custom artists of the hobby as such.

Just saying the masters for curing metal mishaps right are getting few and far between..................

13. 4406

from Oklahoma

Sorry to hear about your car Sir Woosh. Hope it works out for you.

14. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I made my living in insurance. All states are different but Maryland being a progressive state I'm guessing there are laws to protect public verses to protect the insurance company. I would look to a restoration shop they would be familiar with quality work on old cars. I would not use their "quality shops" or whatever their list of shops is called. That usually just means they give insurance company a discount and work fast. Here's what I think is going to happen they are going to balk at the bill and try to total your car. They will pick a number that will probably have no relationship to actual worth. If you have an appraisal for your insurance have that ready. Research on cars like yours as far as auction prices and for sale will help. Remember in most states insurance company can total a car without affecting the title if YOU retain owner ship. I would keep my parts stash to myself it isn't your job to help them out of their jam. If they end up totalling it with you retaining ownership you can make sure it's done right and by using your own parts come out ok financially. Hope some of this helps. Sold insurance for 26 years so I know a little about the subject.

15. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

16. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

gibraltar72<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_7573060", true); </SCRIPT>
    Grenade Inspector: Thanks for the advice. I have receipts for the build that should exceed the repair bill easy enough. Spent more than I meant to on this one. Does that kind of documentation hold up in the face of a low total value attempt?

17. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

that just shows what you put in to car you apparently started with a pretty nice piece. I would still try to find examples that were close to what yours was at time of loss. I wouldn't let them know what you paid if you got an exceptionally good deal. I'd say MAKE ME WHOLE in other words fix it right or replace it with a like quality car. They will have a hell of a time finding one and they know it. You might want to enlist an appraiser to show what car was worth before they became responsible for your loss. Did you have it insured as a collector car or as a daily? do you have an appraisal?

18. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

you can take your car anywhere you want for repairs,its just some insurance co. use shops that they recomend and stand by there work 100 %,if the shop not on the list they wont garuantee the work as long as you own it just for a year,what insurance did she have?
    you may need to get a lawyer to fight them,usually the first consaltation is free and you can get enough info if its worth while to use them,it looks like maybe no frame damage but when the bumper hit the quarters thats what buckled them,it sure needs pulled or maybe jacked out from inside with a port a power,just take plenty of pics,stand your ground,and you will get through it,and when the insurance co, tells you the car will be repaired just like it was before the accident,it still is not in the same condition it was,close but still not the same,no one can do that,i did body work for over 30 years and its all about the money with the insurance co.,also you insurance you can claim on it with pip,personal injury protection,up to $2500.00,and you rates wont go up ,talk with your agent they should back you up,good luck,keep us informed

19. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

As usual, some of the damage won't show up until it's dismantled. I crawled under it tonight to look a little deeper. It can't be seen, but I was feeling up and around the rear cross frame and it's beat up, but the main rails missed a direct hit.

Hopefully the bumper brackets can be straightened out as they are a real pain to locate. The bumper will have to be ditched as it's twisted and bent to deal with. I think I can save my reworked bumperettes.

Main thing I'll need is the body pushed back into shape, then dollied out and blocked. Looks like I'll have to do some of the work and paint before it's over and I'm not sure how to work that out.....

But no matter what, this is a pain in the neck. Well, the back too....

20. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

what ever you do ,i i know you cant stand it but dont do any repairs until you settle with the insurance co.,also dont tear it down as the body shop might use your old bumper to pull it some,since it will be replaced,you will be doing them a favor if you fix it before you settle,dont,also take plenty of pics,of everything,dont throw anything away,im sure after its repaired it will look ok but it will always be in the back of your mind it was hit

21. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Man that is a shame. I liked that car from the first time I saw it at the Showdown. Good luck.

22. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

That's alot of metal to straighten, don't be surprised if they total it.
    Standard auto policys are difficult to get results w/o a battle.

The only companies that look out for you are Agreed collector car policys.

23. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Even my own agent brought up the fact that it could be a total. I have way too much in this car to let that happen. But since my agent brought that up, I may have to take this one away from him and go agreed value with classic insurance after it's fixed..........
    Then I'll thank him for bringing it up.
    And you too Steve.......... Thanks!

24. You would sell your parts to the shop not the insurance co. I wouldn't tell the ins. you have them. And yes they have to pay the shop their mark up.
    As you already are finding out the hard part is finding a shop that will do the repair. I'd really try to find a restoration shop. The good news is, from the pictures it really doesn't look that bad. Pretty basic pulling with minimal equipment. And in spite of what you might hear, craftsmanship and skilled technicians still exist. The guys in the collision industry today are far better trained and every bit as skilled as they were "back in the day" They have to be. The cars are different, but no way is it easy, or low skilled work.
    Where ever you take it, do some home work, talk to prior customers.

And totaling may not be a bad thing. As long as the pay off is high enough. Then fix it where and when you want.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  25. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Man, I know I live in a different country and all, but speaking from personal experience classic/collector insurance with your agreed value is an absolute essential if your car is a "keeper". I had a fender bender in the kart not long after she was finished. When I got an estimate from my guy for repairing the fender and paint (candy red over silver flake) I thought I was going to puke because I figured there was no way they'd pay up. They sent an assessor out who took one look at the vehicle and went "fine, send us the bill when she's done" without even flinching. The repair is almost unnoticeable because the classic insurance allowed me to take her back to the people that did the original work. With the amount in question, regular insurance would have just written her straight off, which would have killed me. Good luck and I hope all works out in the end.
    Paul

26. RAY With

RAY With

Any classic is worth using classic car coverage with you setting the value. I had one that was 24 hours out of the shop on a complete restoration and got ass ended and the guy ran. Got the plate and he got jailed. Adjuster came out and ask me what I thought the damange was and I said $5,500 or close to it. First words out of his mouth based on year (1964) O we wont pay that much but will total it out. I said fine with me and its insured for $20,00 so pay me! Bottom line I got it fixed first class and no fuss or problems. With classic insurance you do it your way.

27. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Quote...

"you can have any shop do the work....but you might have to pay the difference between the shop they recommend and the one you choose"

This is a classic bullshit line from any insurance company, and totally false.

28. 57J2

57J2

Sorry to here about your 55 Olds Sir Woosh. I'd be real pissed !!! Hopefully everything goes okay with the insurance. I've got a pretty decent 55 back bumper with brackets if you can't find one any closer.

29. Bad deal for sure.
    The agent wants your business, the adjuster isn't your friend and needs to settle this with the smallest amount of money. Make it difficult and they will total it. If they total it you can buy it back. That is negotiable amount. There are two claims, the property and bodily, remember that & both need to be settled.
    You can have any shop you want to do the work. The insurance company has no legal say on that matter unless you signed some contract with a clause specific to that matter. They have may have an approved provider list that streamlined the paperwork for both the shop and the insurance provider.