Register now to get rid of these ads!

why are the damn slantbacks so hard to get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfish50chevy, Nov 6, 2011.

1. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Man....ive had the itch for a few months to get a 36-38 slantback....flatback..however you wanna call it. I dont even mind the 4 doors due to them being suicide. When these cars are done up "BOMB STYLE"...laid out....just makes me weak in the knees!! The crazy thing is that researching them as projects for sale...you find almost NOTHING out there? Are they getting THAT rare? The one on here that just sold and was like a 40's old custom.....THAT WAS BAD ASS...wheres those at? Seems as if all the old men scooped them up and made them look like Easter Eggs and Billet machines.....whats left? .......................This turned into a rant...sorry...i wear my passions on my sleeve!

2. F&J

F&J

Many younger hambers blame everything on the elders. If you get to our age, you most likely can fix rot pretty easy....and then there are plenty slantbacked Fords left to choose from.

3. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Sorry if you were offended...and I dont mind fixing anything...thats how I make my living....rot rust..no problem...but look at all the chevys and Fords out there in running driving condition that can be worked on as you drive.....not the case with the 36,37,38 slant backs...there either finished $50k power everything cars or totally wasted sitting in a field cars...VERY few $4k-10k drivers for sale that you notice with all the other cars on here.

4. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Heres my 46 Bomb....runs,drives perfect......anyone have a slantback they want to trade? mines worth somewhere in the $17k range.

Attached Files:

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

What is wrong with 1935 Ford Slantbacks???????? Heres mine..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The main problem is that, as good looking as they are, they aren't very practical. A sedan with hardly any trunk? Not many made = even rarer now.

7. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Nothing at all.....love them all...sorry to leave the 35's out.....but I DO prefer the 37 headlights.

8. F&J

F&J

That should tell you something about the "current" real value of the 36-38 slantbacks on a website classified section.

If you really want any particular car right now, you need the cash waiting and be willing to jump on one when it shows up. But if you can't sell yours first, the only possible trader might be a guy who has had his 36-38 for 10 years and is sick of trying to get it done enough to drive it. Then he might swap for a done car that is far less popular, because he can't bail out for cash either.

The market is really changing fast in my area, even in just the last 2 months. There will always be someone in a big jamb that needs to sell out quick for whatever he can get. A good time to be buying with winter here in most states.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can't find one because all the cool old cars are rotting away in old guys barns and fields and they won't sell them because they are going to fix them up one day even though they are in thier 80's with only one leg and one eye. then his kids scrap them all when he dies.

....at least that's what I keep reading here on the HAMB.

10. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we have a 47 caddy 4 door fastback for sale. Its a project but its pretty solid and it needs a home where someone wants to turn it into something nice.it's rare...one of 5,160 ever made and its pretty awesome. It needs a home ASAP.

Check out the thread about it hereon themain message board. One of the hamb members did a rendering of what it could look like when finished. Made me weak in the knees

Thread is titled "found this in an oldmoving trailer"

11. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

thats the closest thing we've got for you. I know its older than what you prob want

12. OldCrow

OldCrow

I have one.

I'm gona fix it up some day. :)

Russ

Attached Files:

13. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

bet you are...lol

14. Oldhenry1

Oldhenry1

I found my 35 Tudor Slant a mile from my house.:D Came with a 21 stud(in pieces), a 24 stud and transmission(59A-B) and a 283(none installed). Has a 9 inch out of a Granada with leaf spings.

15. The HellyDid

The HellyDid
    from Florida

Sorry a bit off topic but if anyone's got an itch for a 40's Chevy (2 door fastback) I know where one is at. I've only seen it from the highway (436) here in Winter Park @ Holler (used to be a Chevy dealer) I can take pix if anyone is interested. It looks cool and pretty nice shape $6500

16. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I've seen 2 - '39 deluxe sedans 1 tudor and 1 fordor in the last year that were great deals (I think one of them is still available). Both original, solid bodied, running driving cars. If I had room and cash, I would have bought them both.

17. richbud

richbud
    from east tenn

WEll i have a 36 4 door slant back standard jsut finnished as a hot rod own the car as a stocker for 5 years i have never seen anouther one in person.

Attached Files:

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Not all the "old men" painted them up like Easter eggs. Mines a bustle back, but I found it less than a mile from home, cut it up, made something unique and cool, and didn't spend much time whining about it.

Brian

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

That-un looks a little short??

There's a cool one that runs around dallas, used to see it all the time when I lived there, now I see it at some of the local shows.... that sucka runs up and down the highway about 3" off the ground!!!

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Easter egg paint strips easy, and wheels are a sinch to switch..go find it and pay the "old man"

remember what your momma taught you about respect before you leave the house, or risk coming back home empty handed

21. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

They are hard to find in the condition you want because they were gobbled up long ago and are now redone and big buck cars. Rescue a field car and redo it.

22. I think finding an 8-10k driver is going to be tough for that vintage.

23. OldCrow

OldCrow

Really???? aren't they all like that? :D

Ya.. a tree had fallen on it before I got it, so I removed the waded up section, shortened it by 20", and planned to make a "man size Topolino" with it. Somehow I ended up building a bucket T instead, and this became yard art, but I still think it would make a unique piece if I ever get around to it.

Russ

Attached Files:

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In the 1935-38 Ford line-up the "slantback" cars are either Tudor or Fordor Sedans.
    The "trunkback" or "humpback" cars are Tudor or Fordor Touring Sedans.
    In the 36-39 Chevy line the "slantback" cars are Coaches(2door) or Sedans(4door).
    The "trunkback" or "humpback" cars are Sport Sedans, either 2door or 4door.

The Ford ones are everywhere. The Chevy ones not so much.

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That shortened sedan looks very good to my eyes.......lots of potential there!

Ray

26. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

There was a meeting of the Old Men CC last night at the Cracker Barrel buffet and your name came up. I tried to represent you as best I could, but a majority voted to never sell you any of the many slantback builders they have squirreled away in their garages and barns ... at least until they detect an attitude shift.:D

27. You must be one of those "old men" that he speaks about because you make sense to me.

Easter egg paint means that it ain't rusting, which is a concept that that makes sense to me. Wheels take an hour to change and they can be sold to another one of those dumb old men for a profit.

I bet I could find a slantback for sale within an hour and the question is could someone scrape up the cash to pay for it.

28. Bart78

Bart78

Heres two cant get them to decide what they want to do with them. Both 37's. And both are two doors.

[​IMG][​IMG]

29. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

30. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found my 37 by watching all the websites, all of craigslist (using searchtempest), and finally wheeldeals. I have seen two 37 slantbacks for sale in the past 7-8 months int the 14-17 K that were drivers. One was a car I recognized as a beautiful original V8-60 car that was too nice to do anything to and was 14K. They are out there.