Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lions and tigers and cars, oh my!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theHIGHLANDER, Mar 17, 2012.

1. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Amelia Island Concours is now behind us. It was a grueling trip this time with headwinds and fucky GPS directions on the way down. Once there and on the tour added some add'l excitement, but we're no wrose for wear and will no doubt return another day. Too nice to miss. The Porsche tour included a stop at Cattyshack. It's a volunteer care/rescue place for wild animals, mainly, lions, tigers and leopards. Kool is an understatement if you like animals. Yeah, I too like some with BBQ sauce, but these boys n girls were worth the stop. In advance, some of my pic posts are a PITA, but WTF, here goes:
    We took a 33 Packard 1002 conv victoria. The owner, Bruce Blevins, drove it like a modern car and I can't be more happy about that. Here it is on the road:
    [​IMG]
    A few kitty cats:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice doo bro!:
    [​IMG]
    This guy must be a good judge of character. Outta 18+ people he zeroed in on me with a bit of angst. He let out a few "barks" that were so loud everyone jumped outta their skin...including me the 1st time. The girl said, "Oh, he don't like you..." so I amped it up some (with permission and an explaination as to his motives, protection).
    [​IMG]
    I'll submit and add again...

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Once we left Cattyshack we headed for a Porsche collection in Jacksonville and got to see some pretty interesting stuff, but "no pictures please" was posted. Before we arrived we had an issue. A flat tire on the 295 South while going over that big ass bridge there. But what if was 1933? You jerk the spare outta the fender and swap it in...on the road of course:
    [​IMG]

Here it is on the ferry with the spare missing (was in the back of the truck).
    [​IMG]

All of that behind us, we had nice lunch and got to beat the piss out of some new Porsche models, then went for a spin with Hurley Heywood in the new 911 at 162MPH down the Mayport AFB landing strip. The batteries were dead in the camera so I didn't get any pics...but it did happen!

Once we removed all of the sand and patched the tube in the tire on Sat were were lookin like this at 8am:
    [​IMG]
    She gets around with this, 320CI, 120HP, 9 mains:
    [​IMG]

And yes, all of that dress is authentic, including the owner in his genuine 1933 suit (that's him getting judged):
    more to follow...
    [​IMG]

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The show had some amzing cars as usual, and here's few things I shot.

Fatty Arbuckle's McFarland. What an amazing pice of history:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soutchuck bodied 48 Caddy...wild, huh?:
    [​IMG]
    A Coachcraft custom 49:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Caddy woodie used by MGM studios as a courtesy car:
    [​IMG]
    Nice gator skin interior in the woody, huh?
    [​IMG]

I never get enough of biplane bumpers...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A 1901 Packard brought by our dear friend Bob, with whom we shared a house for a week there along with other friends:
    [​IMG]
    Kool brake shoes, eh?
    [​IMG]
    Yes, they're wood!

This Alfa gives me a funny feeling:
    [​IMG]

A 64 Corvette styling study. Very kool.
    Even in polarized sunglasses, I could see no blotching or cross-coloring in this genuine 64 candy finish. Perfect...:
    [​IMG]
    Rolls interior that looks like grama's house:
    [​IMG]
    Even pickups were in attendance! Ok, ok, I know...
    [​IMG]

Well I hope you enjoyed the trip. A very kool experience not to be missed if you can make it.

4. Deuces

Deuces

That's Motown for ya!... ;)

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man those are pretty cars. I remember riding in a similar V-12 powered club sedan when I was a kid. Kind of a caramel and brown color combo.
    Belonged to a guy named Art Felucka (sp??). Last time I saw the car was about 1992 in a small car museum in Victoria BC. Recently asked my dad where it went from there, he wasn't sure.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, I mis-identified the body style in my last post. Did a quick google search of club sedans on the off-chance I recognized a photo of the car in question, Club Sedans are closed cars.This would have been a '33 convertible victoria. Hey, I was eleven, what da ya want?:D Overall caramel color, the body reveal, fenders and top were an almost ochre brown color. Wonder where the car is now?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Nice stuff.......that Alfa is badass.....
    Too bad about the Porsche pics....love old Porsches.....

8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

9. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Are the sidepipes on the Vette custom or special factory order? Never seem them before.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those were custom from the GM studio. I think 3 different Vettes had unique versions on them. Same idea, different looks. The 64 had a chromed and exposed injector box. Kool treatment.

11. Vintageride

Vintageride

[​IMG]

Stunning car.

Great post.

Thanks for sharing these.

Vintageride

12. william.ali.kay

william.ali.kay
    from Milwaukee

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    That Cadillac Woodie is badass.

13. oj

oj

Thanks, those are great pics and i got a good look at the Packard tucked away in your garage - right?
    That McFarland is massive, any other pics of it?
    When i saw the 'no pics' sign at the porsche place i would've told the arrogant pricks to take thier world-class engineered 2nd to none worlds greatest masterpieces and shove them right up thier nazi asses.

14. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Beautiful stuff !!! Those bi-plane bumpers are killer. Thanks.