Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "Flatline" 51 Hudson build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace'sSpeedshop, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I just picked this 51 Pacemaker up for $500 off of CL about a week ago here is a couple pictures of where it is as of now. I will be posting more pictures as the progress comes.I have almost everything to put the car back together. I am planning on driving this car before July, this will be a low budget build but it will not be a "Rat Rod" by any means. Just a cool cheap custom.

Attached Files:

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cant wait for more on this one , that was a good score for 5 c notes , should be fun when your done

3. 63c10

63c10
    from kentucky

I went to the local Pull A Part and there sat a 50 Pacemaker. Grille is gone, so are the bumpers and lights but the body is all there and in good shape.

4. skoh73

skoh73

63c10- you should grab that Pacemaker! Shoebox headlight rings should be able to work with manipulation and Hudsons never really had the best looking grilles- I've always wanted to see a custom grille treatment on a Hudson.

5. 60 ford

60 ford

Looks like a solid body.

6. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I'm going to make a custom grill using the original bumper guards from this car. I have four right now, I'm going to need 6-8 more. But it should be cool when its done.

7. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i had Marv photo chop mine with a 1952 Olds bumper that got last week end,:D

Attached Files:

8. skoh73

skoh73

I think that a '51 Buick grille would look amazing, but I don't believe it would fit.

9. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I have been really considering putting 53 Buick headlights and grille in the car, it would be alot of work but I think it would be badass.

10. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Awesome, looks like it came stock

11. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Here's an update, I spent almost a week cleaning the frame and firewall. Painted it black last night and started stripping the interior and pulling everything out of the dash. The floors are suprisingly solid, drivers floor is the worst rust on the car. With a little tin work it should be good to go. I will post more pictures as they come.

Attached Files:

12. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Here is what I am doing with the chrome that was painted and sanded.I resanded everything down with 120, it's a better look then painted. I also took the center grille bars out. I think it will look a little smooter.

Attached Files:

13. U-235

U-235

[​IMG]

I never knew those cars had the radiators in the back...!

14. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I pulled the dash out and started working on the interior. I'm going to start patching in metal for the floor and paint it black. I'm not sure what color I'm going to paint the dash. I left the corner of the clock dirty so you guys could see how bad they were.

Attached Files:

15. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Is there any place that makes interior panels kits for these Hudson's ?

16. Sweet thread. keeps me motivated building my 52 Hornet. Thanks for sharing.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

Try Kanter

18. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

19. KWashburn

KWashburn

Kanter or here.

Good luck with the build. I have a 1950 Brougham that started in just about the same shape. Good progress.

20. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

good luck with K-gap,they been hit or miss the few years,
    {thats a whole different UGLY story}:mad:

heres kanter's info.

http://www.kanter.com/

21. I'll be watching this one. Car looks pretty solid.

22. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Thanks guys for the info, I have stopped at a couple of custom interior places around where I live and they want almost $1500 just for the door panels and headliner. If I cant find anything that cheap I will just make my own. Like I have said before the only major rust is in the drivers floor and rear passenger side quarter panel. Once I get the interior done I'm going to do the body work and through it in primer for right now.

23. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

same story here,hell i plan on learning to sew,anything to save a couple grand that i don't have,if i have drive the damn thing while sitting on milk crates i will! BTW i was told that 90's ford taurus rear seat will fit the stepdowns..-----chuck

24. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Here is the pile of shit that came off of the frame and firewall and a little from the interior.

Attached Files:

25. That's not a pile of shit. You pack that in the doors for sound deadner.

26. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

There's already enough still packed in the doors.

27. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I think the seats should be fairly easy But the hard thing to do will be the door panels. They will atleast be two serperat pieces.The seats in my car have most of the foam still on the seats. I will just go to a fabric store and recover them. I will post pictures when I start to do the interior.

28. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Does anyone know how the rear brake/ e brake setup works on these cars?

29. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

The following is a link to the complete mechanical proceedures manual. Check the brakes section and it will answer your questions.

http://hetclub.org/burr/manuals/1948-1952_shop_service_manual.pdf

• Some cautions and recommendations:

Hudson brake shoes were made to work with the mechanical interfaces found on Hudson cars. While there are other shoes which can be fit to the Stepdown Hudson, you will find there is sufficent variances that using these shoes without modification will not provide desired braking performance.

When shoes need relining keep the original shoes and get them relined. Have the front linings riveted and the rears can be riveted or bonded.

• Follow the instuctions in the manual and you should get super brakes.

:) A braking plus for Hudson owners is Double Safe Braking. The hydraulic braking system is complemented by a mechanical interface that will provide rear wheel mechanical braking if the hydralics are lost for any reason. Again the manual is very clear on how this system works and should be serviced.

Good Luck

30. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

Right on man thank you.