Register now to get rid of these ads!

advice on bending alum tubing to make gmc intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

my local scrap yard just got in a ton of these 20 foot sticks of thick wall aluminum tubing and I think it would be perfect for making an intake for a 302 gmc im building. I know I can buy an intake, but I really want to build one. Is there a good way to put a tight 90 degree bend in this tube? Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

I'm sure you can find 90 degree bends somewhere online. I don't think there are any backyard tricks that could bend that thick of aluminum while keeping the cross sectional area relatively constant.

3. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

That's some reeeallly thick tube for an intake. How about two 45 degree cuts welded together as an elbow, instead of a 90. No bending required.

4. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

That is one idea I had, but I thought it might hurt "flow"........ when I really know I just would like the looks of a smooth curve better and performance would probably be close to the same.

5. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

A 90 degree bend would be terrible for flow. At least put a few mitered cuts in it. You'd be better off building your intake out of steel and painting it to look like aluminum. That way you could get affordable 90 degree bends.

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

This is made from exhaust tubing, works great. I think that thick aluminum is overkill.

Attached Files:

7. patrod

patrod
    from idaho

If you have accsess to tube bender, lube it well And it should bend, if it distorts too bad, fill it with sand ,tape off the ends and should be fine!

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Mcmaster-Carr offers sch-40 Aluminum pipe 6061t6 90's and 45's

9. budd

budd

you need to decide on a radius, then you will know what type of bender will work, is it tube or pipe?

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

x2x2

11. FEDER

FEDER

make sure its 5086 rather than 6061. 50s series bends nice the other kinks.

12. Joe Roseberry

Joe Roseberry

I built my intake and started with a Dan Lemons header with short radius steel 90s turned up for the intakes. I welded flanges at the top of these that bolt to a rectangular aluminum plenium (2"X3"). The plenium is topped with a 3/8"X3" alum. plate. The plate can be welded or you can, as I did, drill and tap for 10/32 button heads to hold it down. I like the drill and tap as it allows me to change the number or style of carbs by replacing the plate. All of the aluminum material was purchased at a local steel yard out of their remnant pile. Good luck. Joe