Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chinese HEI's YUK what should i run???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Mar 14, 2012.

1. tankwilson

tankwilson

Hey guys i will keep it short. I am tired of messing with cheap chinese HEI dizzys for my 289 SBF. I am looking to buy something that wont break down every month or so.

Don't need top of the line (expensive) but don't want any more chinese. What should i buy??? Any recommondations?

Thanks
    matt

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

stock points style dizzy, msd 6 box, call it done forever.

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

What's wrong with a Ford distributor? Or a modified Ford distributor?

4. tankwilson

tankwilson

Had a stock points setup which was fine but really like the power and ease of an electronic or HEI

5. pelon

pelon
    from SE WA

What kind of problems are you having with the cheapo HEI's?

6. tankwilson

tankwilson

Pickup coil went bad, replaced it. Ignition module when bad, replaced it. Pickup coil went bad again.

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I'm guessing module failures, possibly pickup coils too.

change both of those and put a good coil in em, oh and change out the sloppy bushing and shitty advance mechanism they work fine, but by the time you do that you could have a used msd box and never have another failure.

8. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Use a duraspark 2 with a points style cap and rotor ( I think the big caps are ugly )

9. tankwilson

tankwilson

Yea i would agree on the "looks" but this is going in my econoline van and will rarely be seen so looks don't really matter just looking for something that will run with out any issues.

Thanks

10. squirrel

squirrel

Points do still work. Yeah, if you put a lot of miles on it you might have to mess with them every now and then. Adding an electronics box between the points and the coil really cuts down on maintenance though

11. What he said....

Rat

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The parts in those HEI's are the same as a Chevrolet HEI, You might stop at your local Pic & Pull and get a Chevy HEI and swap in the Delco parts from it,if you have had two pickup coils and a module go bad something may be causing it.The reason I tell you to get the older Delco is because so much of the new is outsourced even MSD is getting China parts.Click on this http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6502-R notice the warranty? mine is 4 years old,read the install instructions that is in this reference are you running 10 gauge to the HEI ? where are you getting your 12 volt source from? Mine is powered off the "I" terminal on the solenoid,the solenoid is a relay and takes the load off the circuit if your are getting power off the key switch move it.OK,more reading for you (all of it !)http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/current_topic.html You will notice the heavy duty relay in the text I added that because like it explains the stock key switches are not made to handle extra loads,prior to adding that relay I had several switches overload and burn out, problem solved.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  13. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

a dura spark dist with a msd box had this set up running for 15 years no problems

14. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

That sounds like the same problems I had with the $220 HEI I bought from the local GM dealer. It lasted about 1000 miles. I pulled it and replaced it with a $99 made-in-China HEI from JEGS ( or Summit ?) and have had no issues since.

15. I ran stock distributor and Pertronix ignitor for 10 years with no issues. HEI's in Chevys are ugly. In Fords they make me suicidal. :eek:

16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Mallory Unilite.Put an ad in wanted section.Nothing wrong with good used ones.Even found one on EPAY and less than $100.Small and all self contained.

17. 30over200

30over200

Durasparks. Honestly one of the best electronic ignitions. And not hard to wire as a it may appear. Plus they are $50 at autozone

18. Truckedup

Truckedup

Module failures with GM HEI's are mostly due to the coil shorting out internally,cheap coils.Replace the module and it fails again.Buy a better in cap coil or a kit to use an external coil.

19. Go MSD or stay on the porch! "literally"

20. Go MSD or stay on the porch! "literally"

good answer ...............:D

21. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I've been running a pertronix HEI on my SBF for about 4 years without a problem. I had an MSD box go bad and it took me a while to figure it out. The truck would run fine unless I let off the pedal quickly from fairly high rpms, then it would die completly.

22. iamben

iamben

I agree with this guy.

23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ask this guy>>>>Bubba's Hot Rod Shop

24. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

But the wrong answer! Over the last two years MSD is outsourcing :( and many of the coils are Chinese imports and are stamped in the product and pictures have been posted on several websites verifying that fact.Many of the companies have resorted to printing on the packaging the country of origin and "packaged in the USA" Companies are outsourcing on a daily basis,best advice: Read the package and the product! More on the subject here:https://www.google.com/#hl=en&outpu....,cf.osb&fp=6ca356a6bb614143&biw=1280&bih=963

26. all oil filled coils are made overseas.....( because of goverment restrictions)
    even your favorite companies ( accell- mallaory -edelbrock)

brings those coils in .

but , feel free to purchase any of the HVC series that is hand made here
    in the usa.... they cost a little more than 40 bucks ...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  27. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

ALL STAR AUTOMOTIVE PRODUCTS INC

4150 PUENTE AVE
    BALDWIN PARK, CA 91706-3432
    (626) 960-5164

Robert or his son Robbie are very helpful & hands on.

28. plus, the street fire line is made in china..( FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL CUSTOMERS) .IT IS POSTED on the home page of that site...everything else is made here ....

http://www.msdvideos.com/featured_landing.php?reset=true
    look at the shop tour video....( all made here in el paso ,texas)
    if your still not sure....drive down the 6 hours ( less then 400 miles) from phnx MR. JEFFB2
    AND WE WILL GIVE YOU A TOUR.

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Duraspark for my 289 and put the rubber dizzy cover from a 5.0 on it, looked good IMHO. Never gave me any trouble.

30. PerTronix in a stock distributor. If you don't have a stock distributor, then try this if you want something that looks stock with no external boxes or junk to wire up.
    [​IMG]

It's the new Pertronix Cast stock look distributor. Looks like a stocker but with a performance curve and Ignitor already installed, plus an adjustable vacuum canister. part #D134600
    [​IMG]