Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving your cars cross country

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Mar 10, 2012.

1. powmia

powmia

So it looks like the Air Force is moving me to Albuquerque from Spokane, WA. I was wondering what you guys have done when you've had to move all of the stuff you've collected for projects and your cars. I have a single axle 6x12 utility trailer I bought new last year. I'm thinking of throwing my T on the trailer, it's in a million pieces but I can make it fit, I know it fits within the weight limits of the trailer but have you guys ever pulled a single axle over 1,000 miles? Any problems? My motors and other big pieces will go in the bed of my truck (07 Titan). I more or less was looking to see what you guys had done before. Thanks guys. Also...anything kool in albq?

2. powmia

powmia

I hate to sell the stuff but I dont think I can fit all the parts and garage art (junk parts that look really cool) without forking over a couple more thousand for a trailer

3. Just find an old school bus cheap and gut it and fill it full. You can leave your stuff in it for dry storage till you're settled, then sell the bus to recover some of the moving expense. Worked for me many times for cross country moves.
    Works better than the old single axle trailer I tried to move my 34 from Vermont to California. had no springs (old race car hauler). made it to El Paso and watched the axle come out from under it and try to flip my 34 over.

pic of the ill fated trailer and the thankfully unhurt 34.

Attached Files:

4. Here's the buses that have moved me.
    1- big purple, bought for 250 dollars in Vt sold in Ca for 200
    2- Joy bus, bought in Ca for 800 sold in vt for 500
    3- Big Bertha bus, bought in Yuma Az for 1000 sold in Arkansas after 3 trips to move my stuff and 1 trip to Florida to move parents stuff. sold in Ar for 900.:cool:

Attached Files:

5. Just out of curiousity- where is the best place to find an old bus for sale?

6. There used to be a section for buses in the old truck trader. don't know if that's still the case. mostly craigslist, ebay, and local adds now i guess. my best source was out back or alongside churches. A lot of times they are changing to newer smaller buses and have the older ones for sale.
    sometimes, just driving around your neighborhood works best.

7. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I paid $6500 to move 4 vehicles from Cali to North Carolina by a professional transport company in '08. The more cars the better the deal I got. And a LOT less stress. Hired a moving company for the household and drove a rental bobtail with all my tools.

Say hey to the Partridge family for me.

8. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I use a single axle 6 x 12 enclosed trailer for my business and have never had issues pulling it long distances. Go for it unless you can find something better.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

when I moved cross country, I shipped one car. I then got the largest U haul truck, a car trailer and a tow dolly (for behind my PU). I put my 57 on the trailer behind the U haul, and my wifes car on the tow dolly. packed the Uhaul truck with all the house stuff and some garage items. I packed my truck bed and wifes small SUV and 57 with as much garage stuff as possible. the rest got left with friends. you can only move so much.

if you are by yourself (no one to help) that is tougher. (two trips, one with your truck and small trailer and second with a U haul) or if you have help, one drives the U haul and other drives the truck and trailer.

10. powmia

powmia

I'm thinking of going for an enclosed trailer, I considered shipping the cars but they're both projects and the cost of shipping a non running car is crazy. The biggest problem is figuring out what I can keep, I have a bunch of nice parts (engines, trannys, rear ends and nice metal like frame rails.) Moving company wont touch anything that they consider construction equipment or has oil on it....I'm kinda screwed.

11. thus the need for a bus, enclosed trailer, open 2 axle trailer, old box truck etc. I feel for you man. with the price of gas now, I don't know how anyone can move stuff across town, much less several states.
    Also, it sounds like you have too much stuff (weight) to haul on a single axle trailer.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Your Titan should be able to pull a larger trailer .

[​IMG]

The trailer doubles as a STORAGE UNIT ... giving extra space when needed.
    It would also allow you time to find a suitable place in Texas with a gargage ... after you move.

Racing Junk as a good many USED trailer for sale for for a ton of money. If you want to sell the trailer after the move ... the trailer will sell for about the same as you paid.

[​IMG]

Mine is a PACE ... 20 foot V-nose. The V-nose saves almost 1 and 1/2 miles a gallon ... :) :)

13. Good idea ..... [​IMG]

Jim

14. powmia

powmia

It defiantly can....just too cheap for that. I'd love it but really hate dropping the cash on something I pull and cant drive. Guess I gotta get over that.

15. cl350rr

cl350rr

take a look around for Uhaul dealers. there's one around here who sells off the old trucks as they're being taken out of service. my BIL bought one of the larger vans a few years back for $2500. moved his stuff 4 states away then sold the truck. just a thought