Register now to get rid of these ads!

cancer or roundup, which one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Thanks for all the words of encouragement guys. One good thing is I have a rider on my insurance that says no payment for any prostate problems due to it being enlarged. Now it looks like they are going to pay for it , that means I dont have to sell the cars yet like I thought I was going to have to.

2. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

It's OK to miss the Roundup but be happy that treatment is available to you. Get better and be back later.

3. mj40's

mj40's

My dad did the radiation when he was 78. He is now 93 and going strong. Prayers said.

4. Good luck, sounds like they caught it early. I'm 5 years past robotic surgery and have no regrets. Honestly the worst thing in my mind was the biopsy! I wouldn't want to do that again!

5. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

I live in Austin so at the round up i will take lots of pictures for you and videos and post them on here, my father has liver cancer and is on his second transplant, you will make it just keep a strong heart and you will be A.O.K. :D

6. I am on bed rest after a pre-cancerous procedure I had done yesterday and I saw this post.... Never met you but I had tears rolling down my eyes!! I wish you the best. Glad they caught this early.

Laura

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

I had bad prostate problems which was ruining my quality of life. My PSA was 7 which is pretty high. A biopsy was done with no cancer. My doctor said the high PSA was due to an enlarged prostate. He recommended the TURP procedure which reams out the prostate. It was the best thing I ever had done. My PSA dropped to 1.9 and my quality of life has increased dramatically. No more getting up at night or frequent urination. I also have several friends who have had prostate cancer who are cured and living a normal life. Good luck on your treatment. You'll be fine once its completed.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great to hear that insurance will cover the radiation treatments. as long as you have found yourself a good Doctor that you are comfortable with and can rely on him/her to take care of you results will be positive. Take Care

9. Willy301

Willy301

Well, I did not mention it before, but seems to be a rash of this lately. Back in August of 11, I had a Lymph node under my armpit swell up to the size of a golf ball. I had some other symptoms and my Family Doc was optimistic. He sent me to a surgeon who immediately diagnosed it as Lymphoma and scheduled my biopsy.(his bedside manner sucked). Anyway, I went into surgery and when I woke up, I was told by my wife that it had abcessed and when the Doc cut it for the biopsy, he made a hell of a mess...I considered that a bit of Karma. As it turned out, it was a nasty infection, after pathology, the antibiotics I had presurgery had killed it, so not definite cause, but when we looked at the symtoms and my previous activities, it was most likely Cat scratch fever...yes it is a serious disease, and nasty to say the least. With that said, I hope yours turns out alright, and you make the Roundup...It is very beatable, and you caught it very early compared to most. Thought and prayers are with you!

10. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I went thru the same thing 3 years ago, 90 sessions.
    If it's just the radiation and no chemo you will do well.
    It makes you a bit more tired than usual but you can work thru it. I never missed a day at work.

Keep your chin up, a positive attitude and it will all work out fine.
    If you wish to discuss or just talk to some one about it, I'm here.

PM me if you want to know what my costs were, but keep in mind it was 3 years ago and a different part of the country.

11. painterjohn

painterjohn

If it helps, My sister inlaw was diagnosed a year and a half ago with Bone, Breast and Lymph node cancer and has made a FULL recovery. She fought hard and wipped its ass!! You can too man!

12. 53Hattie

53Hattie

Life is less what you get than what you do with what you get, ...make the choice that will benefit you more in the longterm! What might you miss if you don't go to the Roundup, ...what might you miss if you put off the treatment? Be Well Man!! ...Prayers & Positive Thoughts comin' your way!

13. NORTH30FORD

NORTH30FORD

Keep your chin up, Richard. Good luck.

I'm 45 and in the same boat as you. Diagnosed back in December with similar numbers. I was looking into Loma Linda University for the proton therapy, but unfortunately because I'm from Canada it comes with a hefty price tag that I would be on the hook for. Plus my 3 month stay down there. Wish I was a rich man.

Have you read proton Bob's book? "You can beat prostate cancer, and you don't need surgery to do it".

Cancelled my surgery and decided to go for the brachytherapy, the radioactive seeds.

Peter

14. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Having had kidney cancer and surgery to remove the tumor six weeks ago. I say go have fun then take care of it in a timely manner. When I found out, I already had a trip back to NYC planned, I followed throught with it then had an unrelated surgery on 12/23, then on 1/27 they took out part of one of my kidneys. I am doing great.

Good luck brother

15. luckyfew1

luckyfew1
    from Arizona

you got to go to the roundup! otherwise cancer has already won! can't ever let cancer win! from my personal experience, radiation therapy was a piece of cake, just felt a little more tired than usual.otherwise no pain or nausea. its chemo that really kicks your butt! been battling colon cancer for six years now and never let cancer run my life. its just an inconvenience. keep up the good fight, it can be beat! good luck.

16. lincolnhead

lincolnhead
    from Marysville

Good luck brother! Stik to your treatment! Vent whenever you need to.
    Prayers are with you and your family from me and mine!

-Chris

17. get well soon , prayers !

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

The Roundup will be there next year and hopefully you will be fit and well enough to attend.

19. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Lucky girl ! She must have caught it early.

To the OP : If you can go without disrupting your treatment, and you're not having chemo (cos it really gets to you) ... then GO, have fun. When fighting cancer morale is really important and you should be happy to be alive. Lose that and you will lose the fight.

My Father was diagnosed with colon cancer just before Xmas a few years ago, the doc gave him 6 months, tops. He fought so hard he got his 6 months, and an extra 2.5 years on top, which allowed him to meet his granddaughter, see her walk and let her remember him to this day. I'm sure if he hadn't had such a strong will to keep on going h'd have been gone earlier than that.

There's no knowing if you will win or lose the battle, BUT ... your frame of mind really helps shift the balance.

So go, have fun. have a few beers, have a burger and a laugh, have a good time and make good memories. Never let the sickness stop you having fun.

20. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

I went through the proton therapy 3 1/2 yrs ago. My expectation is you will not have a lot of early problems so the round up could be very doable. Mentally and physically you will get tired as the treatments continue. This is all normal and as mentioned earlier keep the positive attitude and you will get through it. Part of the problem we face with this diagnosis is all the free advice we get. Do the research and go with that which you find least offensive. It is your decision and what you select will be the correct one for you. Best of luck and if you need to ask a question or any way I can help along the way PM or email me. larry

21. I also wanted the seed treatment but the doctor said it wasnt a good option for me. I had 3 different opinions and they all thought the radiation was the way to go. I hope the seeds work for you ,best of luck to you, Richard.

22. gmc1941

gmc1941

I had radical surgery 2 years go (DaVinci), after having very low PSA. My options were to wait and see if it got any worse. Desired to take the "Bull by the horns" and not wait. Zero reading since than. Don't wait and read everything possible and there is a great Website on PC. Good luck

23. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

I Know exactly how you feel. I just went through it all. I ended up getting my prostate removed. I am now cancer free...And now have a 0 PSA reading.. Just have a good attitude and you will beat the Hell out of it. We are all here for you....Scot

24. Scot, I followed your cancer sucks thread ,so glad you beat it and I know I will too. how you doing on your truck ? Take care man, Richard.

25. 48flthdf1

48flthdf1

Just finished getting my 53 customline done..She started up just fine after 2 yrs of work...Now I can move her out and bring in my 48 F1...This should be an amazing build...It's all just grease under the nails...LOL...Wish You The Best Man

26. Just started my second week of radiation treatment, so far so good.

27. hallrods

hallrods

GOOD LUCK how many weeks do you have to do 6 or 7

28. Mon. thru Fri. for two months.

29. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Happy to hear it's going well. Don't give cancer a break since like rust it never sleeps. Had 10" of colon removed 2 years ago and all was thought to be well. My option for chemo or not. Looked at the odds and decided not. Well the "unremarkable lesions" on the original liver ct turned out to be cancer. Now facing 8 mo of chemo and had one arterial injection of Aussy made radioactive $tuff. That seems to have worked really well but we go on with the chemo anyway. Sure shoots the year away.

30. For what it's worth to you, you are getting some prayers sent your way....
    My uncle went through a nasty bout with it a few years ago, but he is cancer free and in great health. Keep your spirits up, you can beat this!