Register now to get rid of these ads!

What defines a Speedster ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Oct 31, 2011.

1. millersgarage

millersgarage

I ask because I still have the flathead I pulled out of my '47 (it's a '51). And if everything else I put into the car is old parts, I feel the mid 70's 4cyl I was planning to use would be out of place.

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I think the 2.3L you were initially contemplating could be effectively dressed as a tribute to the Model T OHV conversions available in that era. Or, a ‘51 V8 bears a passing resemblance to the ‘32-‘36 pump-in-head V8, so it could still be viable for the build I described.

Or go one step further and build a pure ‘50s style car with 16-inch steelies, a flathead, and the whole works, just use the speedster body. Again, I know of no precedent, but obviously ‘20s-style bodies existed in the ‘50s, so why not?

Maybe you should stop by the Photoshop thread with a picture of the speedster style you’re contemplating and have them add the ‘50s elements to check it out ahead of time.

-Dave

3. morac41

morac41

Hi ..I'm going with ..flynbrian48..I like 3 springer's .. last one I built would be in the trackster option...built it on the mid 30's dirt track look ...Used a T cowl and doors all the rest fabricated.....2 half eliptics in the front buggy style ..transverse rear on a T chassis... a great car to drive....Doug

Attached Files:

4. bedfordboys

bedfordboys
    from bedford va

Long, skinny, open and fun. Here is a pic of my bob-tail. Might give you a idea or two.

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      119.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Being a Studee Nut, when you say Speedster, this is what comes to my mind...

The Studebaker Speedster was produced during the 1955 model year, list price started at $3,253, or about $800 more than a base 1955 President State hardtop.It was loaded with standard equipment including: choice of Studebaker Automatic Drive or overdrive transmissions, power steering and brakes, dual exhaust, four-barrel carburetor, "Shoemaker-stitched" diamond-quilted genuine top-grain leather seating, carpeting front and rear, a map pocket, an eight-tube push-button radio, a Stewart-Warner 160 mph (260 km/h) speedometer and 8,000 rpm tachometer in an engine-turned facing, turn signals, electric clock, tinted glass, cigarette lighter, oil filter and oil bath air cleaner, dual backup lamps, triple horns, two-speed electric wipers, tubeless whitewall tires, simulated wire wheel covers and fog-light bumperettes.
    There was also Speedster-specific trim including a hood-length hood ornament, stainless roof band, Speedster nameplates and checkered emblems as well as chrome-plated ashtrays, rear-view mirror, moldings and tailpipe extensions.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. millersgarage

millersgarage

OK, so here is my 1/25th scale representation of what I am building in my head.

40 Ford hoods on the rear, 28 cowl to grille. spring behind front, spring behind rear.

Of couse windshield, and lights, etc, will make a big difference in the overall look, but theis is the basic idea. and the axles will not be chrome on the real thing.

I am not sure I like the rear frame rails.

100_3325.jpg 100_3326.jpg 100_3327.jpg
    100_3329.jpg 100_3330.jpg 100_3331.jpg

so, is it a speedster, a special, a waste of time?......

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

^^That doesnt look like a porsche!?

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Hide the rear rails or flush them to the body.

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

Ya, I'm not digging the rails. My thinking was to cut the rear rails off the '47 frame, and use them on the Model A frame.

now I am thinking no, keep them at least under the body.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

Lookup model T forums on the interweb, those guys are MILITANT about era correct parts and speedsters n whatnot.... They'll have all the info you can imagine just don't tell em you're a hotrodder. They HATE us.... Like i care. :)

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a V8 would put it over in the hot rod or modifieds classification rather than what is viewed as a traditional speedster. The guys who do the speedster group tours in the PNW and further away all seem to run 4 bangers with Ford or 28 Chevrolet for some reason being the popular ones. In the area I live in several of the hardcore Model A club members have Model A speedsters built out of the left overs from their restorations and they have a lot of fun with them.

If I ever find a frame that will work that I can afford the parts and pieces I have gathered over the past 30 years will be more of a modified as it will run a flathead six rather than a four. It is intended to look like an "old racecar" when people see it as I want them to think late 20's early 30's Indy or Grand Prix car.