Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carburetor angle shim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Truckedup, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Truckedup

Truckedup

I have a situation where the carb is slightly angled toward the front,about 3 degrees.This is a Rochester 2G with 1-11/16 throttle bores.I've seen shims for 4 barrel boat engines but no 2G stuff.Angle milling the manifold is not an option here. I searched around and found nothing,anyone know of stuff like this?

2. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

I think I would just run it. I've done that with no problems.

3. I think you could overcome the problem with a float adjustment.
    Your only other option is to make a spacer and angle mill it. I have not seen such a monster in my travels.

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Here is one I made for a stromberg, but I dont know where to buy one. Have a great day Gary

Attached Files:

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Leave it alone and you will be fine. The two fours on my 27 angle back at a pretty steep angle and have been that way forever. The trips on the rpu I am building angle down in front about like your carb and I have no reason to think it won't be fine also. Everyone says to get the carbs level but in very few swaps or cars I have done is that always possible.

Don

6. Don is probably closer to the truth than he knows, we too often sweat the little shit. How many cars have we seen that were seriously lowered in the front and ran just fine.

7. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Are you having a carb problem or just asking?

8. oj

oj

Since the carb is angleld forward then you'd best do something since the fuel is runiing away from the jets. I am thinking you set the engine level in the car and are using a stock intake? right? and the intake is angled for the factory located engine so that thecarb will come back level. Am i right? then you'd be best to get an aftermarket intake that sets the carb level, they will be for a 4bbl and you'll need an adaptor to get to the 2gc carb but it'll then be sitting proper. I do make angle adaptors for 2bbl in circle track cars to compensate for the angle of the track and banking, but they won't work in your case. There are 4bbl angle adaptors that you might be abvle to use if you are using a 4bbl intake, mr gasket makes them i believe, and just add an adaptor to get back to 2bbl - my money would be on an intake.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It can't be that big a deal, cars still run up hill and down hill. However if I wanted to shim them I would look for a speed shop that caters to boats or look online for marine engine parts. They often need to shim carburetors and they can't all be 4 barrels.

Or, you could change to a 4 barrel carb then the common shim would fit lol.

10. Truckedup

Truckedup

A slight problem.When braking a bit more than normal ,coming to a complete stop,the engine idle becomes unstable for a few seconds.It never stalls and after the few seconds the idle returns to normal.I fiddled with the float adjustment a bit but no improvement.Other than that the engine performs perfectly.I can live with the problem,just wondering.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

2gc float bowl is so short front to back I see no problem.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Rusty brings up an interesting point. A lot of inboard boats, especially straight inboards, have their engines are a very steep angle downward and most do not use any form of leveling plate. If you look at most Chris Craft type cruisers with staight inboards they simply bolt a sbc or other engine in place on whatever angle it ends up at and that is it. When they are coming up on plane or are up on plane the boat usually tilts even more toward the back, making that angle even steeper, and they run just fine like that.

Don

13. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

ben at dashman.com makes them...hamb member ebay seller......

14. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

Sometimes it's about what looks right. Just remember, 3 degrees might not seem like a lot, but the taller you go on carburetor height and air cleaner the worse it can look. (distance over degree)

This one turned out just perfect.

Dashman's Hot Rod & Speed Parts

www.dashman.net

Attached Files:

15. most of the inboard racers make or buy a phenolic two brl spacer and angle mill it

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

An update...I took off the carb today...I had previously made a one inch thick phenolic spacer to adapt the 2G carb onto a modified inline 6 intake.This set up had the carb titled forward about 3 degrees.....because when you use a 235 car intake in a AD truck the engine sits more level than a car .This was the situation that caused engine stumbling coming to full stop as mentioned in my first posts.
    So I angle cut it slightly on the table saw.Now the carb is leaning back about one degree.With no other changes,the idle stumble appears to be gone.The float level is and was correct for this carb.

17. oj

oj

Thanks for the followup.
    Now we can start a thread about using a tablesaw to solve carb problems! that'll get interesting.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

X 2, Don nailed it

19. Got a good table saw... anything is possible especially with cutting phenolic.

Bob

20. jimbousman

jimbousman

I have the same problem with my quad 4 only I'm looking at close to 10 degrees. I bought a carb wedge at a boat surplus store for $10 bucks. They had a whole buch of different thicknesses.

21. dashman

dashman
    from Viroqua WI

Here is a situation that I recently ran into with another intake. We can use this custom Hemi 4x2 intake top that I made for a vintage PAW 392 setup a couple of years back. This has a 4.5" center to center spacing which will only work on the Stromberg 97 48 style carburetors. The Holley 94 will need the 5" center spacing

I can't make a 4x2 setup work with the angled spacers on Holley 94's, but a 3x2 Tri Power setup will work. It will require 2 angled spacers, one tipped forward, the center carb will clear, and the back one is angled the opposite way to clear the center.

I suppose a 2x2 setup would work the same way, just one spacer would be needed.

Anyways, this could be a way of using those Holley carbs that are just sitting there or that 4.5" spacing intake you just got for that screaming deal as you were laughing all the way to the garage until you set on the 94's.

Dashman's Hot Rod & Speed Parts

www.dashman.net

Attached Files: