Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Delinquent Registration from DMV... Help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xmizer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Well, then close the bank accounts and wish them good luck, I suppose. They still have to connect all the dots, which isn't easy if they don't even know where to find you.

2. xmizer

xmizer

What's a PNO/Non-Op?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the car is not in California you don't owe them anything unless you plan to take it back to Cal. Even then I'd register it in another state and then go though the hoops of registering it in Cal as an out of state car and just tell them you lived out of state for a few years if the question comes up.

I don't know your work status but if you have residence in Wa or are based in Wa go in and register the car here and be done with it. You would have to pay the tax on it but the registration it's self is pretty inexpensive. The big hassle here is buying a car that is registered here and not transferring the title quick enough if the seller put the date he sold it on the spot for that date. miss that and it's 100 bucks shot down the drain. That doesn't count on out of state vehicles being transferred though.

4. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

If you still own the car it should be pretty easy to wrap this issue up if the registration was current when you exported it from California to where ever you are now... If the registration expired before you exported it, you will need to pay the fees & penalties to clear it up...

Here's the info from the DMV website:

Q: My vehicle is now registered in another state or was permanently moved out of California; how do I close the collection account?

A: If the vehicle is no longer in California, indicate the date the vehicle left California and check the appropriate box on the reverse side of the letter from the Franchise Tax Board or DMV notice and mail to:
    DMV
    Revenue Services Support Unit
    Mail Station C140
    PO Box 825341
    Sacramento, CA 94269-001

DMV will review the information you provided and if fees were due before the vehicle left California; you will be notified of the amount due to close the account.

5. One more vote for dealing with it now........if you come back at some point you could well come back to the original outstanding ..plus fees..plus penalties....you will regret your inaction.

6. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

It short for Planned Non-Operation.

It's a way to place the vehicle in a non-operational status with the DMV for a small fee 60 days prior to the registration expiration and up to 90 days after, but you will have to pay penalties in addition to the PNO fee.

After 90 days, all the fees and penalties are due...

7. Deal with it. It bothers you, so deal with it.

As others have explained, you need to let them know you left California and the States (allegedly:rolleyes:). Have them either mail or email the needed form and be done with it. Gonna suck when they run your name through customs when you try to enter the States at some point in the future and they jail you for unpaid fines.

Here's one other thought ... CLOSE THE DAMN FLORIDA BANK ACCOUNT AND NEVER VISIT THE STATES EVER AGAIN ... DONE, PROBLEM SOLVED.

I just got off the phone with California ... seems they ARE looking for you ... look out your window, see the guy wearing a suit at the payphone across the street (wearing sunglasses at night:cool:) ... the net is closing tight ... you have nowhere to run now:eek:.

( ... either there's a full moon out or it's April 1st ... )

8. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

You drove your car out of the USA, so you are in Canada, Mexico or further south. CA does not know this, they think you are in the state of CA, so go on the web, give your ID # and fill out statement of facts and your problem should go away. I doubt very seriously Ca will come after you or your bank accounts. Or just write a statement of facts and enclose it with your registration renewal form, last registration and pink slip (you do have a new one for the country you live in don't you) and mail it to them.

9. stuckonda101

stuckonda101
    from SFV, CA

1- Call DMV
    2- Listen for the machine to tell you the wait time is two hours
    3- Choose the option where you choose to have the DMV call YOU when its your turn
    4-Leave number, go about your day
    5- Get call back and get the real info you need.

I dont know why people bitch and moan so much about the DMV's wait times, when you can do something like the aforementioned over the phone, or make a friggin appointment. Wait time for an appointment is like 3 minutes at most offices.

10. Beau

Beau

Exactly what I thought! :D

Also, why the hell did this person join this site to ask? No into. Nothing to do with hot rods.

Empty the florida account and wave goodbye to America.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I think we found Jason Bourne..................

12. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

...Or he could just do this:

If the vehicle is no longer in California, indicate the date the vehicle left California and check the appropriate box on the reverse side of the letter from the Franchise Tax Board or DMV notice and mail to:

DMV
    Revenue Services Support Unit
    Mail Station C140
    PO Box 825341
    Sacramento, CA 94269-001

DMV will review the information you provided and if fees were due before the vehicle left California; you will be notified of the amount due to close the account.

13. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

or it's a test from one of Gov. Brown's minions... :D

Wait, are you logging my IP?

14. Maybe its ah-nold .... Maria's lawyers are looking for him!

15. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I find it amusing that you want your current country to be a secret, as if knowing your username here and what country you're in would reveal who and where you are exactly...

I'd actually be willing to bet you're in Alberta in the oil patch...

But it sounds like your issues is easily dealt with via a phone call, good luck.

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Deal w/Californicateyou, so's it's over. & you have written proof. There's some real good advice on this thread, but you've gotta expend the energy to put a stop to it.

& let us know just exactly how this turns out...

You could also contact, preferably in person, the local U.S. Consulate for help in resolving this issue. They should be able to blow thru any red tape/bs quicker than anyone around. It is, among other things, their job.

Marcus...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  17. This is the only way to go, BUT these ass nuggets are the problem, "Franchise Tax Board" they will slam your account without any problem and it will take you the better part of a year and a million phone calls and letters to get it back.

18. rick finch

rick finch

19. xmizer

xmizer

I am in Canada for those of you who are so curious to know. Anyway, I called the DMV yesterday and the other person on the line was very rude (as expected).

Anyway, I told him I'm not in the United States anymore. He kept blaming me for not knowing the law in California that requires me to notify the state that I moved. Then he told me that I have to notify Sacramento. I asked for a phone number but he kept on repeating over and over that I have to send him my Canadian registration. I kept on asking for the phone number and he still repeated that information. At the end, he give me this 9166568101. I don't know if this is the phone number of the DMV in Sacramento but when I tried googling it, I can't find anything.

I also told him it was a courtesy call, so they would stop wasting their time trying to send me mail but they said they have the right to garnish wages and extract money from bank accounts regardless of whether you are in another state or another country (which sounds like a load of BS to me).

As for the answer that some of you provided --
    A: If the vehicle is no longer in California, indicate the date the vehicle left California and check the appropriate box on the reverse side of the letter from the Franchise Tax Board or DMV notice and mail to:

I don't pick up my own mail and I never got a letter from the Franchise Tax Board. So I really cant' send it to them.

20. xmizer

xmizer

So if you guys have the phone number for the correct department in their Sacramento office, please give it to me please.

21. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Sounds like a communist country if you have to notify them you are moving out of the state. Looks like you "escaped" before it really gets any worse.

22. from the CA DMV Web Site

If you have a need for a specific DMV service, please call 1-800-777-0133.

23. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Send them a letter with a copy of the letter they sent to you. Explain that you are now in another country with the car. OR call them and damn the expense of a long distance call. Of course they will lie and say you have to pay.

24. csimonds

csimonds

Have you received any "certified" mail from them? Do they start the phone conversation with we are a debt collector and any information you give us can be used? Did you send you CA plates back?
    Chuck

25. ferrets bueller

ferrets bueller
    from NW Indiana

Note to self: Never move to California.

Seriously, what the hell is even the point of having this in place to start with? What a stupid government.

26. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Exactly what I was thinking, I'll bet you owe more than DMV fees, that's why you have your bank in Florida, you're in Canada and California is after yer ass. Sounds like a bad country and western song.

Scotty.

27. xmizer

xmizer

I never got any mail in person.
    The late notices and the delinquent registration mail was retrieved by my previous landlord. She barely described to the contents to me. She merely said delinquent registration. I only found out what it means after googling about it by myself afterwards.

I don't have any forms with me. I'm just going to send them a letter to there Sacramento office. That's the best I can do. I already called them at the 1800 number. The person on the other line was neither helpful nor did he sound honest. When he gave me the phone number, he really sounded like he just made up a phone number at the top of his head considering he was delaying telling me the phone number the whole 4 times I asked him.

28. xmizer

xmizer

I don't know if it was certified or not because i wasn't the one picking up the mail. And I didn't get any calls from them. I was the one who called them and spoke with a technician (whatever the hell a technician is).

29. xmizer

xmizer

Yeah I already called. And I don't care about the expenses for a long distance call because 1877 numbers are free across North America and besides, I can call anywhere in North America for free using Gmail. Funny thing, the technician that I talked to said I was be really worried if I was willing to use my own money to make a long distance call to inquire about that. I told him it was free.

30. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Wow man, I hope you can get it sorted out, what a ridiculous system.

Makes me really REALLY like they way it is here in Alberta, drag a car out of a field, build it, get it safety inspected, it passes and you register it it... you decide to move to another province or into the US and do nothing on the Alberta end of it, you might eventually receive a renewal form, ignore it and nothing will ever come of it, move back and it will still be in the system and you can re-register it easily.